Continuation of social security health insurance when job finishes

ghworker2010

Ive worked 3 yrs in a teaching role for a government institution and will finish the contract very soon. It is my understanding that after the contract expires I can visit the SS office in my current province and notify them that Im moving to a new city. Then in the new province I have 6 months to subscribe to a scheme where I pay a monthly fee to have health cover at my nominated hospital. I want to join this scheme as I will not be taking another teaching contract (lucky me). 

Has anyone done this recently? Do I simply take evidence of previous job etc and fill out a form at the new SS office. Are there any other requirements apart from taking my PPort?

How much is the monthly fee?

thanks

Hi,

The monthly fee is not more then 450 bt, I would really keep paying into this system as its cheaper than any health insurance (it might not be so comprehensive) but its a good thing to have. This is one of the good things about working as a (legal) teacher or in any other legal job. 

I would not know about the procedure.. but I would make sure you do it all correct as i said its good to have. Also make sure that you register at a hospital in your new place, your free healthcare starts there. 

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

Hi,

The monthly fee is not more then 450 bt, I would really keep paying into this system as its cheaper than any health insurance (it might not be so comprehensive) but its a good thing to have. This is one of the good things about working as a (legal) teacher or in any other legal job. 

I would not know about the procedure.. but I would make sure you do it all correct as i said its good to have. Also make sure that you register at a hospital in your new place, your free healthcare starts there. 

I agree with you that its worth paying the fee. Once this is done at that office and then I register at the nominated hospital are you saying that the 'free healthcare' starts right away (as long as the monthly debit from my bank acc keeps going)?

Edited by ghworker2010

I don't know everything exactly but I would say it would start right away as long as you keep paying. 

I would, if I were you get this done as fast as you can. It will probably require help from your wife / gf but once its done its done. 

The fee is 432 baht a month.

Once you change locations there might be a short delay, a month if I recall correctly, before you can use your new hospital.

The SS office should help you to get signed up to pay on your own, and getting you set up with a new hospital.  It was a fairly simple process.

8 hours ago, TerryLH said:

The fee is 432 baht a month.

Once you change locations there might be a short delay, a month if I recall correctly, before you can use your new hospital.

The SS office should help you to get signed up to pay on your own, and getting you set up with a new hospital.  It was a fairly simple process.

Are all medical emergencies and long term illnesses covered by this insurance? If so its a bargain...

47 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Are all medical emergencies and long term illnesses covered by this insurance? If so its a bargain...

Yes, but it requires a lot more legwork then you think. If something is wrong you need to be referred from the hospital where you are registered to an other more specialized one. Also we are mainly talking public hospitals so longer waiting times. You can't just go to any hospital you have to follow the rules. But IMHO its still a bargain.

Hi, to the guys who pay for their social security medical coverage.  I recently tried to sign up for self-pay coverage at my local social security office but was told that this plan was no longer available to foreigners.  Could I please ask you whether it was fairly recently that you were able to sign up.  Thanks.

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Hi,

Further, maybe the procedure has changed, but when I retired (had WPs for previous 30+ years) my administration lady was emphatic that I needed to quickly go to SS office (then at Din Daeng) and cancel my membership and get a refund. I did just that. 

Just a few days later I was told by another organization that I could have indicated (when I went to Din Daeng) that I wanted to continue my membership (to continue the health benefits cover).

I went back to Din Daeng quickly to try to re-start my membership but was told 'yes you could have continued , but it's now too late, you should have indicated this when you came the first time, no further discussion'.

I quickly got my lawyer to call them to try, same answer.

That's nearly 10 years ago, maybe their policies / procedures have changed, however can I suggest you get a very clear answer direct from the SS office, to be very sure on this point.

As already mentioned by others, it's well worth continuing the cover, much better than no insurance at all.

Good luck.   

1 hour ago, Cutty Shark said:

Hi, to the guys who pay for their social security medical coverage.  I recently tried to sign up for self-pay coverage at my local social security office but was told that this plan was no longer available to foreigners.

Did you have at one time SS through working?  If yes, did you try to apply within 6 months of becoming ineligible through work?

What was discontinued for foreigners was a plan that was never intended for them.  When they started a scheme for migrant workers from the region, many hospitals mistakenly also offered it to (other) foreigners.  That was short lived and eventually fixed.  Migrant workers are still eligible for that plan.

Terry

Just now, TerryLH said:

Did you have at one time SS through working?  If yes, did you try to apply within 6 months of becoming ineligible through work?

What was discontinued for foreigners was a plan that was never intended for them.  When they started a scheme for migrant workers from the region, many hospitals mistakenly also offered it to (other) foreigners.  That was short lived and eventually fixed.  Migrant workers are still eligible for that plan.

Terry

Your mixing things up TerryLH, this is about a guy who is already enrolled into SS because he worked and had a valid work-permit. Just like Thais he can now pay into that system and stay insured (one of the boons of ever having worked legally). 

The other plan your talking about was indeed for migrant workers but was something totally different and indeed not intended for farangs.

• Like 1

I've been working for a Thai company for several years and have social security medical coverage.  I would like to quit working but don't want to lose my coverage so I'm still working.  As I mentioned in a post above, I inquired about self-pay coverage at my local social security office and was told it is no longer available to foreigners.  However, I just read posts here on TV from guys who have self-pay coverage.  I'd be interested to know whether they signed up for self-pay coverage recently or have had it for some years.  Hope it's recently.

On 3/25/2018 at 8:59 PM, ghworker2010 said:

I agree with you that its worth paying the fee. Once this is done at that office and then I register at the nominated hospital are you saying that the 'free healthcare' starts right away (as long as the monthly debit from my bank acc keeps going)?

Certainly worth getting sorted. Something that has not been mentioned is that as far as I can gather you need to be over 55. My wife turned 55 in September and had 6 months to start paying herself, never in a hurry to do anything she has been this week.

17 hours ago, Cutty Shark said:

I've been working for a Thai company for several years and have social security medical coverage.  I would like to quit working but don't want to lose my coverage so I'm still working.  As I mentioned in a post above, I inquired about self-pay coverage at my local social security office and was told it is no longer available to foreigners.  However, I just read posts here on TV from guys who have self-pay coverage.  I'd be interested to know whether they signed up for self-pay coverage recently or have had it for some years.  Hope it's recently.

I think they may have misunderstood what was being asked. If Thais have been paying into the SSF and they finish work then they have option of a refund or continue to make payments themselves. They get 6 months to make the decision and cover is still available for that period. Even if the self payment option was not available you should have been advised of the 6 month period and the refund.

On 26/03/2018 at 10:51 AM, robblok said:

The other plan your talking about was indeed for migrant workers but was something totally different and indeed not intended for farangs.

Since I don't think continuing with SS for foreigners has actually ended, I thought there might have been some confusion by the office about what the OP was wanting.  I still think that might be at least part of the problem.

I don't think you have to be 55 to continue paying on your own.  I've known people who signed up to pay on their own who were not 55.

55 is a refund / pension time frame if I recall correctly.

As long as you were paying into the system for 12 months, you are eligible to continue if you become ineligible - for any reason - through work.

Terry