Check out driving fines/tickets before paying them.

dotpoom

I havn't made an OP in a few years but thought this was important enough to bring it to people's attention.

I was stopped in Pattaya yesterday on my motorbike at a check point. Had my helmet on, had my licence, unfortunately the tax had expired by just over two weeks (it's my wife's motorbike and I leave it up to her to take care of it). The cop told me my insurance was ok though which slightly surprised me as they are usually renewed at the same time. The wife later explained that could have happened because the shop where we bought it may have taxed it and when we picked it up and we would have insured it at a later date.

Anyway, I wasn't going to argue with him, was happy just to be done fo

Edited by dotpoom
Don't know what happened

Wow.  About 41 years ago I had a bike.  I didn't have a license plate or insurance, though I do have a lifetime motorcycle driver's license (It was about 100 Baht more). Never carried any paperwork.  One time at a police checkpoint in Loei, a kid (perhaps Indian?) accused me of stealing his bike.  Cops didn't pay any attention. They did flag me down once or twice just to chew the fat. I got to practice my Thai and they, their English. Even got a few words of wisdom from a monk who was waiting for a bus. 

And what did you want to bring to our attention? That police stopped you and you didn't have to pay?

For the compulsary insurance: You have to buy the insurance before you can pay your tax, so it is running at the same interval.

If you have any other kind of insurance it might be

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What has "checking out driving fines and tickets before paying them", referred to in your OP title, got to do with your posting about getting stopped legitimately for having no insurance? 

How did they know he had no insurance before they stopped him as you seem to intimate?