Planning for possible red stamp advice

10 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I don't want to come across as defeatist but when you can clearly see you're walking towards the edge of a cliff you should at the very least be cautious right?

You are being defeatist because you are not exploring all the available options before admitting defeat

There are plenty, make them work to your advantage, if you are not willing to work hard to stay here which if you are not married, no kids no business or not retirement age you have to do  then maybe you are better off going home

5 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

You are being defeatist because you are not exploring all the available options before admitting defeat

There are plenty, make them work to your advantage, if you are not willing to work hard to stay here which if you are not married, no kids no business or not retirement age you have to do  then maybe you are better off going home

Thats the point . Some people are desperate to stay in Thailand and do whatever it takes and costs to get a Thai visa .

If it gets to a situation that people must fly in and out every two months to get a VES , some people will not bother and relocate elsewhere

53 minutes ago, sanemax said:

they also tried to implement a maximum of 180 days per year in Thailand , although that was revoked .

The old, now-defunct rule was 90-days per last-180-days on Visa-Exempts only; this never applied to those with Tourist Visas.  The "180 day rule" some IOs talk about at Bangkok airports never existed - they made it up.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:10 AM, genericptr said:

As per the new PP, if that's true then I just need to survive until June/July when I go back home anyways and get a new one while I'm back.

You can get one here even faster - overseas requests take priority.  I got my last one here, and the one before also while overseas.  One trip to the US Embassy (Bangkok) or Consulate (Chang Mai), or "Outreach" visit to your area (if the timing works); then they can mail the new one back to you.

54 minutes ago, genericptr said:

The METV is interesting to me ... I'm not even certain if they'll accept my LLC as proof of employment

They will - no problem.  That plus the minimum money "in the bank" for 6 mo and you are set.  And, yes, you can get them back-to-back - so certainly OK with a break between each one.

If that ever failed, next would be to use ED visas, Volunteer Non-O visas, etc.  There are many options, but they do require some outlay of money (tuition, volunteer "agency", etc). 

If you can make good money staying in the USA, it would make sense to work there until you have a nest-egg which will at least cover more visa-options.  If your income does not change by living there (my case), then you lose money by being there due to a higher cost of living, while suffering a lower quality of life for the same income - so better to spend any off-time somewhere like Cambodia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Thats the point . Some people are desperate to stay in Thailand and do whatever it takes and costs to get a Thai visa .

If it gets to a situation that people must fly in and out every two months to get a VES , some people will not bother and relocate elsewhere

But they don't need to do whatever it takes, they can simply take the visa options that are available

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

You claimed that the crackdown began in 2006 , making it relevant

Yes it did, when they stopped amongst other things the 1 year option for visiting friends and family, i'm pretty sure the 180 day in a year rule started then also, although it was quickly stopped

To be honest this is not the point of the thread, the OP is looking for advice on how to extend his stay, 

27 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

But they don't need to do whatever it takes, they can simply take the visa options that are available

We were talking about if they are any further clampdowns which is quite likely that there will be 

23 minutes ago, sanemax said:

We were talking about if they are any further clampdowns which is quite likely that there will be 

No that's what YOU are talking about, the OP is asking for advice on how to stay here longterm

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The old, now-defunct rule was 90-days per last-180-days on Visa-Exempts only; this never applied to those with Tourist Visas.  The "180 day rule" some IOs talk about at Bangkok airports never existed - they made it up.

Well, they stopped issuing back to back tourist visas at the time , so, you still couldnt stay longer than 90 days out of 180 on tourist visas

11 hours ago, genericptr said:

That visa doesn't make sense to me because they offer a long term "tourist" visa and proof of employment, as if any company would let you travel multiple months a year in Thailand.

It makes sense when you understand the purpose of the METV. It was not designed/introduced to enable people to live in the country long term as a tourist. It was introduced to make it easier for people that live/work in their home country to visit Thailand frequently. It is primarily targeting the Asian market. The vast majority of 'tourists' only need 'Visa On Arrival' or 'Visa Exemption' or 'SETV's" to cover their holidays.

Edited by elviajero

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It does exist within immigration, you just didn't get the memo. The 180 day rule has been quoted at several land borders too, over several years.

It is clearly an unofficial 'rule' that doesn't mean an automatic denied entry. Instead IO's are meant to scrutinise the 'long term tourist' more closely. It is why the 6 entry flag exists for visa exempt entry (6 x 30 = 180).

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

It does exist within immigration, you just didn't get the memo. The 180 day rule has been quoted at several land borders too, over several years.

It is clearly an unofficial 'rule' that doesn't mean an automatic denied entry. Instead IO's are meant to scrutinise the 'long term tourist' more closely. It is why the 6 entry flag exists for visa exempt entry (6 x 30 = 180).

The 180 day rule has nothing to do with 6 VE in 180 days, people who have used 6 over the last 2-3 years are being flagged

Also people on Tourist Visas are being told the 180 day in a year reason by some officials

Thai Visa Service also advise on their website that you may be questioned after 6, this is despite land borders only giving out 2 entries per year

The 180 day "rule"is just something made up by a small few Immigration officers, if it really was a "unofficial 'rule" then we would hear a lot more about it

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

It makes sense when you understand the purpose of the METV. It was not designed/introduced to enable people to live in the country long term as a tourist. It was introduced to make it easier for people that live/work in their home country to visit Thailand frequently. It is primarily targeting the Asian market. The vast majority of 'tourists' only need 'Visa On Arrival' or 'Visa Exemption' or 'SETV's" to cover their holidays.

I think you may be right but they still issue these to people living outside the region which adds to the confusion. I don't think typical tourists need more than 1 month visa so a visa exempt would be good enough for every person I've ever known that traveled here (virtually no one in America is getting a longer than 30 day vacation). Thailand knows whats up but they continue to offer significant wiggle room for us despite slowly closing down over the years. Not sure what their real intention is given all the mixed messages.

14 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I think you may be right but they still issue these to people living outside the region which adds to the confusion. I don't think typical tourists need more than 1 month visa so a visa exempt would be good enough for every person I've ever known that traveled here (virtually no one in America is getting a longer than 30 day vacation). Thailand knows whats up but they continue to offer significant wiggle room for us despite slowly closing down over the years. Not sure what their real intention is given all the mixed messages.

The METV will be of use to people who want to travel around SEA for a few months , fly to Thailand , and visit Laos , Cambodia , Vietnam etc , before flying back home from Thailand .

(*Darrendsd "Oh no it isnt.....................")  

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The METV will be of use to people who want to travel around SEA for a few months , fly to Thailand , and visit Laos , Cambodia , Vietnam etc , before flying back home from Thailand .

Is it unlimited entries or just 3? Again I'd argue for typical tourists actually on vacation (even for 3 months which is insane for a vacation in any developed country, maybe once every 10 years) you can do the same thing with single entries and/or visa exempt. I don't know about you but I get really hung up on language so the word "tourist" just confuses me to no end. By any reasonable definition the METV couldn't be for "real" tourists as it breaks all the rules.

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

(*Darrendsd "Oh no it isnt.....................")  

There are actually no set rules on how is can be used, if you want to stay in Thailand for the full duration of the METV Immigration have no issue with that

People on here like to interpret what certain visas should be used for, the reality is it's up to Immigration on how they should be used, I have never seen a report that somebody was refused entry after reactivating their 2nd part of the METV because they had spent all their time in Thailand

Have you? No

Just now, Wang Lalker said:

after  you get the no more visas notification stamp from vientiane how long before they will again give visas from there? next calendar year? after a few visas from savanakhet or elsewhere? till new passport? what is it who knows for sure?

It is for the duration of the current PP, you can have one from 5 years ago and they would refuse you another

If you have one it's time to get a new PP if you want to get another one from Vientiane

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

There are actually no set rules on how is can be used, if you want to stay in Thailand for the full duration of the METV Immigration have no issue with that

People on here like to interpret what certain visas should be used for, the reality is it's up to Immigration on how they should be used, I have never seen a report that somebody was refused entry after reactivating their 2nd part of the METV because they had spent all their time in Thailand

Have you? No

Of course no one has seen that , because it wouldnt be possible .

For someone to use a second entry into Thailand of a METV , they would have to have left Thailand . 

You cannot stay in Thailand for the full duration (6 months) of a METV , you can only stay for 60 days (yes, you probably could get that 60 days extended for another 30 days , but it would be cheaper doing a border hop)  , (yes, if you live 2 million miles away from the nearest border, it may be cheaper to get a visa extension))

(N.B , yes I know that you cannot live 2 million miles away from the nearest border)

(Yes, I know that people live on space stations , but they wouldnt be there on a METV)

Edited by sanemax

3 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It is for the duration of the current PP, you can have one from 5 years ago and they would refuse you another

If you have one it's time to get a new PP if you want to get another one from Vientiane

ok thanks. got a new passport then thai  immigration wrote a long list of my previous thai entries onto the first page of the new passport.in thai language. this thai language writing has cause me issues at other non thai embassies because they dont know if it is some sort of bad thing as thai immigration also write bad occurrences in thai in peoples passports.

anyhow seems with your info that vientiane is just interested in your relationship with your own embassy before they give new visas

so will try for three more from vientiane  with the new passport thanks

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Of course no one has seen that , because it wouldnt be possible .

For someone to use a second entry into Thailand of a METV , they would have to have left Thailand . 

You cannot stay in Thailand for the full duration (6 months) of a METV , you can only stay for 60 days (yes, you probably could get that 60 days extended for another 30 days , but it would be cheaper doing a border hop)  , (yes, if you live 2 million miles away from the nearest border, it may be cheaper to get a visa extension))

Which is exactly what I said, read what I said

"I have never seen a report that somebody was refused entry after reactivating their 2nd part of the METV"

Refused entry, this mean they had left the country, you have to actually leave  and try to return to be refused entry

The METV can be used for 60 days then a 30 day extension at Immigration is available if you want it, then you have to leave in order to get another 60 days

It's all pretty easy to understand

8 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Which is exactly what I said, read what I said

"I have never seen a report that somebody was refused entry after reactivating their 2nd part of the METV"

Refused entry, this mean they had left the country, you have to actually leave  and try to return to be refused entry

The METV can be used for 60 days then a 30 day extension at Immigration is available if you want it, then you have to leave in order to get another 60 days

It's all pretty easy to understand

But that contradicts your post about being able to stay in Thailand for the full duration of the METV (six months) .

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

But that contradicts your post about being able to stay in Thailand for the full duration of the METV (six months) .

Why does it? I clearly explained that you need to leave to reactivate the 2nd part of the METV

You can does this via a land border which is a 30 minutes turnaround time if you use Ban Laem

So in that 6 months (you can actually get 8 months on a METV,  9 if Immigration in Thailand give you another 30 days after the 8th month) you have to leave the country for 30 minutes so yes you can stay here for the full 6 month duration, there is no stipulation that you HAVE to go to Cambodia/Laos/Malaysia for example if you have a METV

You can stay here for the full 6 months (or 8 or 9 ) apart from 30 minutes and that is a fact

11 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

you have to leave the country for 30 minutes so yes you can stay here for the full 6 month duration, there is no stipulation that you HAVE to go to Cambodia/Laos/Malaysia for example if you have a METV

You can stay here for the full 6 months (or 8 or 9 ) apart from 30 minutes and that is a fact

OK , Thats easy to understand .

You can stay in Thailand for 9 months on a METV , as long as you leave and dont stay in Thailand for 9 months on a METV .

You can stay in Thailand continuously for 9 months , as long as you leave Thailand every 60 days and thus NOT staying in Thailand for 9 months .

Now I understand 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

ok thanks. got a new passport then thai  immigration wrote a long list of my previous thai entries onto the first page of the new passport.in thai language. this thai language writing has cause me issues

wooo, that's weird to say the least, seems things are getting really bad here in Thailand.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

OK , Thats easy to understand .

You can stay in Thailand for 9 months on a METV , as long as you leave and dont stay in Thailand for 9 months on a METV .

You can stay in Thailand continuously for 9 months , as long as you leave Thailand every 60 days and thus NOT staying in Thailand for 9 months .

Now I understand 

You CAN stay in Thailand for 9 months on a METV apart from 2 half hours, (if you you leave the country twice) I would say this is pretty continous

"You can stay in Thailand continuously for 9 months , as long as you leave Thailand every 60 days"

It's already been explained numerous times that you DON'T have to leave every 60 days, why are you not understanding this? You see unable to understand how the METV actually works so you have no chance of understanding how it can be used

Edited by darrendsd

3 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It's already been explained numerous times that you DON'T have to leave every 60 days, why are you not understanding this? You see unable to understand how the METV actually works so you have no chance of understanding how it can be used

As far as I'm aware , when you arrive in Thailand in possession of an 6 month METV , they stamp you in for 60 days and then you either have to leave Thailand or get that entry stamp extended for another 30 days and then you will have to leave after 90 days (60+30)

Immigration do not give you an entry stamp which expires after six months, when you arrive on a METV .

You would have to leave after 60 days (or extend).

You are saying that you dont have to leave Thailand after 60 days , but you are also saying that you DO have to leave Thailand after 60 days

• Like 1