No Rear Lights

simoh1490

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

An American friend who lives nearby wanted to get his lawn mower serviced, regular maintenance he called it, I told him I thought he had no chance but we could try. At the first shop the idea of maintenance drew such a blank that we stopped trying, at the second shop the owner managed to develop a short list of things this novel activity might include and invited us to add to it, "want more", he asked! We left him to it and a few days later we went to pick up the mower, he's changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, he couldn't find the right plug so he cleaned the old one - he decided not to replace the carb. diaphragm because he didn't know how and he sharpened the blade in situ using an angle grinder. Preventative Maintenance, don't make me laugh.

You are so right about this in Thailand, you just are confirming what CMkiwi said which was then mixed up by dante99 guy. We all know that in this county  that preventative maintenance does not exist..but contrary to dante99 quip that the concept "has not had much time to develop here" the reason is simply because TIT..who can figure out what and why the reasons are, but for sure is not for the reason that dante99 gave.

That is just absurd, but given that he didn't even know that the vast majority of bikes here have lights come on automatically when the engine is running and have done so for at least 12 years shows that he is not very well informed at all.

1 minute ago, garryjohns said:

You are so right about this in Thailand, you just are confirming what CMkiwi said which was then mixed up by dante99 guy. We all know that in this county  that preventative maintenance does not exist..but contrary to dante99 quip that the concept "has not had much time to develop here" the reason is simply because TIT..who can figure out what and why the reasons are, but for sure is not for the reason that dante99 gave.

That is just absurd, but given that he didn't even know that the vast majority of bikes here have lights come on automatically when the engine is running and have done so for at least 12 years shows that he is not very well informed at all.

No, I think Dante is probably right, as much as it grieves me to say that! The problem is several fold: Thailand tends to be a dumping ground for technology that is not always the latest so whilst Western equivalents may be technologically modern, products locally are not.

Secondly, most businesses here such as motorbike repair tend to be homegrown rather than dealer sponsored so the length of time taken for mechanics to come up to speed on latest technology is almost certainly much longer than in the West.

Thirdly, there is no central government legislation or consumer protection law to speak of that can act as a voice in demanding change, change therefore takes much longer to accomplish here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

No, I think Dante is probably right, as much as it grieves me to say that! The problem is several fold: Thailand tends to be a dumping ground for technology that is not always the latest so whilst Western equivalents may be technologically modern, products locally are not.

Secondly, most businesses here such as motorbike repair tend to be homegrown rather than dealer sponsored so the length of time taken for mechanics to come up to speed on latest technology is almost certainly much longer than in the West.

Thirdly, there is no central government legislation or consumer protection law to speak of that can act as a voice in demanding change, change therefore takes much longer to accomplish here.

Little wonder that you are grieving in agreeing with dante99 .It appears that you both have , to varying degrees, RCD  ..reading comprehension disorder. ie following on from CMKiwis sentence earlier, the inference of which has been totally lost in your  responses.

3 hours ago, garryjohns said:

Little wonder that you are grieving in agreeing with dante99 .It appears that you both have , to varying degrees, RCD  ..reading comprehension disorder. ie following on from CMKiwis sentence earlier, the inference of which has been totally lost in your  responses.

Why ever didn't you tell us you had the answer you wanted and that you don't want any more inputs, I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to explain things to you!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jamieoutlook said:

Bill97 are you having April Fools day joke here or do you really honestly believe that preventative maintainance is a reality here in LOS? That goes totally against my experiences.

Toyota performs preventative maintenance on my Vigo twice a year every year, of course they perform PM here, why wouldn't they?

12 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Toyota performs preventative maintenance on my Vigo twice a year every year, of course they perform PM here, why wouldn't they?

Your posts 88 and 90 contradict what you say here.

Edited by jamieoutlook

Bill97 are you having April Fools day joke here or do you really honestly believe that preventative maintainance is a reality here in LOS? That goes totally against my experiences.

To say that it does not exist here meaning there is none, zero, is very clearly contrary to the reality. Auto dealerships and shops are doing preventative maintenance on thousands of vehicles daily as are factory workers on thousands of machines.

That you and others think there is none sadly reflects on your bias or ignorance or both.

Like you have never been in a tire shop and seen anybody rotating tires, balancing wheels, aligning front ends or putting on new tires when the old ones could still be driven on? Never seen anyone changing oil or filter on an engine that runs? Never encountered cleaning an ac unit?

Damn sad that so many know so little about what is going on around them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Vigo's are not lawnmowers! 

Move the goal posts why don't you..You are the only one talking about vigos.

Your own words from post 88;

"Preventative Maintenance, don't make me laugh."

:stoner:

Edited by jamieoutlook

5 minutes ago, jamieoutlook said:

Move the goal posts why don't you..You are the only one talking about vigos.

Your own words from post 88;

"Preventative Maintenance, don't make me laugh."

:stoner:

I don't feel inclined to debate with you the difference between maintenance and regular service, nor between a Vigo and lawnmower, simply, I suspect you wouldn't get it.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:58 AM, Thailand said:

How many motorbikes were coming towards you with headlights blazing and on the wrong side of the road? More reasons why we rarely go out in a car in the dark, but we are also miserable old farts.

Some countries drive on the left, some on the right. Thailand drives on both.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even worse are these idiots who replace their headlight bulb with a red one, because it is 'fashion'. If they are driving on the wrong side of the road at night - another favorite - you are in for a surprise. I would like to get a permanent permission to shoot them immediately. Broken rear lights? Trying to count them just in one night gives you a headache.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:12 AM, Dante99 said:

No they are not.

Are you suggesting that all motorcycles are built so that the lights turn on automatically when the engine is running?  For a fact the older ones are not that way.

Oh yes, I have ridden motorcycles here, about 40,000 kilometers.

Motorcycles have not had on/off light switch since 1980.   Not a lot of 35+ years scooter out there.  Turn in your barstool Ph.D.

1 hour ago, cgphuket said:

Motorcycles have not had on/off light switch since 1980.   

That is simply not true.  I have purchased several new since 1980 that have on/off light switches.

• Like 2

the law in thailand changed around 2005,

(yes, you could actually be fined if light was ON)

so it was definitely not automatic before that,

but i presume majority of bikes made after that came with automatic light.

i still today see both bikes and even more cars driving around with no lights at all, sometimes after dusk

i can recall while standing still on sukumvit waiting on queen sirikit and her entourage to pass by in pattaya,

a police came over and turned off my light.

cambodia still uses the law that ban lights in daytime

Edited by poanoi

22 minutes ago, poanoi said:

the law in thailand changed around 2005,

(yes, you could actually be fined if light was ON)

so it was definitely not automatic before that,

but i presume majority of bikes made after that came with automatic light.

i still today see both bikes and even more cars driving around with no lights at all, sometimes after dusk

i can recall while standing still on sukumvit waiting on queen sirikit and her entourage to pass by in pattaya,

a police came over and turned off my light.

cambodia still uses the law that ban lights in daytime

Lights in daylight are reserved for "important" folk so everyone knows they are "important".

I bet when rides from factory came with daytime running lights it ruffled a few "important" folks feathers..bored.gif.58ba83cd02729e03e572a76a5d1e73df.gif

On 3/27/2018 at 9:18 AM, simoh1490 said:

I count trolls in this thread and so far, counting you, we're up to one!

after i counted past 5 i just decided against trying to offer any suggestions or god forbid humor .  Like others have said,   bitterness and jealousy are common traits here.   

gets tiresome after a while........but the trolls seem to get stronger . they thrive on it

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1