Junta’s Offer To Pay For Soap Sequel Likely To Flop

webfact

Junta’s Offer To Pay For Soap Sequel Likely To Flop

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

20170126%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%9E%E0%B  

A screencap from episode 9 of Bupphesaniwat shows Junward (Kannarun Wongkajonklai) tending to her flogged father.

BANGKOK — The military government wants to jump on the bandwagon of a massively popular soap opera by funding its sequel, a move one media critic – and past experience – warns is likely to backfire.

After dominating its Wednesday and Thursday night timeslots and racking up millions of views on online streaming services, the Culture Ministry pledged 400 million baht to sponsor a sequel to rom-com hit “Bupphesaniwat” at the behest of the junta leader, who says more historical dramas should promote his vision of Thai culture.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/2018/03/27/juntas-offer-to-pay-for-soap-sequel-likely-to-flop/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-03-28

IF the producers were really smart..................... they would provide sub titles, in English for foreigners who don't speak fluent Thai to enjoy this super soap experience with all the gorgeous women and handsome men. 

“The story is about making pottery. There’s good and bad characters that tell about the background of how each pottery piece came to be. People in the entertainment industry should watch it,” Prayuth said. “It’s not a lakorn about jealousy. Those don’t work; they make society chaotic!”

Clearly a man who takes his soap operas seriously. 
  • Like 1

“Don’t be wasteful. You don’t have to buy expensive cloth. You don’t have to wear farang-style clothing, but the Thai clothing shouldn’t be more expensive than the farang clothing,” Prayuth said. “You don’t have to wear it to work. Stay within your means.”

Pesky, cheap Charlie, foreign clothing. 

Don’t be wasteful. You don’t have to buy expensive cloth. You don’t have to wear farang-style clothing, but the Thai clothing shouldn’t be more expensive than the farang clothing,” Prayuth said. “You don’t have to wear it to work. Stay within your means.

What on earth are you gibbering on about? Remember when everyone was supposed to be wearing black? There were many people who simply couldn't afford to go out and buy black clothes. Especially when some people started bumping up the prices. You think many Thais have the money and/or time to go and buy traditional looking cloth or traditional Thai clothing all because you want uniformity? 

Save for the future - wear traditional Thai clothing - live within your means............what's the average Thai salary again? Would be like me asking a poor person eating a burger, "Why have burger when you can have steak?"

Edited by rkidlad

If they are going to make a sequel, can I offer up a subsidiary plot line? 

It came to me the other night whilst watching this programme ( Best Beloved and Little Miss JAG are both rather keen) and I noticed something was missing.

There is no jolly, fat, sharp tongued but golden hearted cook from Issan; whose sweet and beautiful daughter, having caught the attention of the heroes best (but rather shy) best friend turns out to have been fostered by said cook, and is in fact the love child of a wicked, but now remorseful Uncle.

I can even suggest a candidate for a cameo appearance as the wicked uncle!

I wonder if those two bottles of Canadian cider (they do some things remarkably well you know) which I had at lunchtime were a bit rash, so early in the day....