How stressful/difficult is teaching english?

Hey,

1)How did teachers on here find the transition from a normal job in the UK to teaching English in thailand (How hard was the beginning)

2) How hard is it now you've done it for a while?

3) How do you find the working hours and the outside of class workload (Are you inundated with marking etc and have to take home?) .....(The 7.30 am start turns me off because I like to gym in the morning) 

4) Do you find yourself thinking about tomorrows classes a lot during the evening?

21 hours ago, hydraides said:

How did teachers on here find the transition from a normal job in the UK to teaching English in thailand

I imagine that many English teachers "on here" have never held a normal (or abnormal) job in UK.

(The 7.30 am start turns me off because I like to gym in the morning) 

So basically you're looking for some employment in Thailand that will cover your  holiday expenses but won't inconvenience you too much.

On your application and résumé be sure to mention that you "like to gym" in the morning and don't cope well with stress. Do let us know how it all works out.

1)How did teachers on here find the transition from a normal job in the UK to teaching English in thailand (How hard was the beginning)

-> Teaching English in Thailand, is pretty much the same as teaching in any other country imho. You need to have the passion to be a teacher or you won't last. If you really think about it, you're preparing the Thai youth for their venture into the real world. Only teachers with passion for their job are able to inspire Thai kids to put in the work. 

-> I have been doing it now for 2 years. I do teach English and Japanese. 

3) How do you find the working hours and the outside of class workload (Are you inundated with marking etc and have to take home?) .....(The 7.30 am start turns me off because I like to gym in the morning) 

-> What time do you wake up and start working in the UK? Is it that difficult to go to the gym in the evening? If you have a decent planning and are used to working according to a schedule you should be able to find time to go to the gym. Especially since gyms are open until 11 PM. Nothing keeps you from going to the gym late in the evening.

4) Do you find yourself thinking about tomorrows classes a lot during the evening?

If you have a decent planning and lesson plan, there is nothing much to worry about.

Compared to Australia, teaching in Thailand was a breeze.  Much less demanding and generally a relaxing work environment.  I found the Thai staff to be very pleasant and generally inquisitive about the foreign contingent.

I no longer do it as I left Thailand.  After a while it becomes fairly easy, or at least that is how I found it.

I like to get up early (and get to return home early) so the hours were ideal for me.  But factor in that this is from someone who is generally up by 6:00 AM.

I did a little in the early days but sooner got over that.  At the end of the day, it's just not healthy to take your work home with you, irrespective of what job you're doing.

It's interesting that noone ever mentions the need for QUALIFICATIONS [ie TRAINING] to do TESL. It's just assumed that, because I speak some or other variant of English as my first and only language, therefore I can teach it successfully to a bunch of dumb foreigners ...

Well, what an awakening awaits!

On 3/28/2018 at 10:49 AM, hydraides said:

I don't know.  I am not from the UK.  I came to Asia and started teaching as soon as I finished my TESOL studies in America.

It's not hard at all provided you have the proper background and education for this type or work and are well-suited for it.  The hardest part for a new teacher is usually classroom management.  An awfully behaved class can make your life a living hell.

From time to time, I have taken home work.  It doesn't happen often.  If you manage your time effectively during your work hours, you should have ample time for lesson planning and marking.  I don't teach at a school anymore, so this isn't an issue for me.

Of course.  I don't spend a significant amount of time worrying about it because my lesson planning has been done.  However, lesson plans are a rough guide.  You will need to make adjustments based on individual classes.

Thanks for the serious responses

Why are some people on here getting so angry that I have passions other than teaching?

Yes I like to go the gym but I wouldn't want to go after work. Just means I will have to find a 24 hour gym in Bangkok and go at 5 am.

4 minutes ago, hydraides said:

Why are some people on here getting so angry that I have passions other than teaching?

Yes I like to go the gym but I wouldn't want to go after work. Just means I will have to find a 24 hour gym in Bangkok and go at 5 am.

I think people may be criticizing your priorities. If you are unwilling to adjust your schedule then you may not have the flexibility needed to work here.

Not all jobs though require you to sign it before 8am. If you work at a university, hours are usually more flexible dependent on when you teach. Tread carefully though as marking of exams and essays may start to take over your life. Alternatively, you could teach in a language school where working hours are usually evenings and weekends with little marking to do.

I did teaching for 6 months, but I found it very stressful. You will be teaching 20 - 25 classes a week and each class will have 40 students. You need to go in hard at the start so that the students know you are serious and not an easy mark.

Having said this, the first month or so isn't too bad because there are a lot of introductions and other formal lessons that need to be done.

Some classes (mainly the gifted ones) are a joy, but some can be very demanding in terms of discipline.

I guess I expected that Thai kids would be like stereotyped Japanese/Chinese/Asian students and be well disciplined. That is not the case at all.

I always worried that I did not have enough 'content' and spend a lot of time preparing for classes. This was stressful, given my retired status, and finding enough time for my 'hobby farm'.

The Thai teachers kept telling me to relax, be happy and not worry. In many respects it is an easy gig, there are so many holidays and no one really cares about your performance as a teacher.

In the end, it was not for me. I didn't really need the money to live comfortably in Thailand, resented going back to regular working hours and begrudged the time away from my hobbies. For every class that was a joy, there were 2 or 3 that I just had to go through the motions and try and get through the lesson.

What Thai school kids need to most is practice speaking English in front of the class. It would be great if you could give every student a chance to do this every class, but there are just too many students and the class will get restless.

If you are an anxious or easily stressed sort of person, teaching may not be for you.

It depends on where you are teaching and the quality of the class, eg, teaching 15 special program students in a well- equipped class can be a delight, whereas teaching 50 rebellious 17 years olds in a poorly furnished room can be extremely stressful.

Generally, working in schools is very tiring, as much because they are very noisy places.

Have you considered teaching in a private language school, where lessons are mostly late afternoon and evening.Less stressful as well as you get mainly adult students and smaller classes.

In general, Thai students are lazy:Many assume that they can learn a language by just sitting in the class without making an effort.Only in Thailand do you get questions like how long will it take me to be fluent in English, as if language learning was like a course of medication that has a definite time of completion.

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

It's interesting that noone ever mentions the need for QUALIFICATIONS [ie TRAINING] to do TESL. It's just assumed that, because I speak some or other variant of English as my first and only language, therefore I can teach it successfully to a bunch of dumb foreigners ...

No different then from the thinking of the Thai authorities, as a teaching qualification is not required- only a degree.  

34 minutes ago, hydraides said:

There is a holier than thou element on this forum.  I think corporate teaching takes place mostly in the evenings, but you'd probably need to be in Bangkok, or similar

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

If they are not worried about having the qualifications to teach, why would you think they would worry about being able to teach?

Agree some replies were off the point. Although I don’t go to the gym I know many corporate executives that generate their thinking by starting the day off in the gym.

Below Copied from article

There are many pros when you go to the gym before work, and some take place at the gym, while others emerge after you leave. Even if you aren’t a morning person, research shows that most people are far more alert when they wake up than at any other time during the day. This elevated level of alertness helps improve your gym routine, while also offering a higher level of performance and interest on the job.

I think you are all missing the point. You want to make enough money to live in Thailand, so you teach English--admit it, the idea of a sexy young thing adds to the pleasure for many of you. An old friend of mine in Vietnam had it down pat, many years ago. He taught both English in Vietnam during the sixties and seventies. His students were mostly ladies of the night. He lived upstairs over a bar, and held classes during the day in the bar. The mamasan of the bar was his gf and manager; she kept him with room and board, drink and spending money; he manged his own sex-life and did quite well. Mamasan was his main squeeze, but he always found time for his remedial students; he gave them private lessons. 

1) How did teachers on here find the transition from a normal job in the UK to teaching English in Thailand (How hard was the beginning)?

I'm an American retiree, have taught on and off for six years in Thailand. I can't stand it for more than a year or two at a time before I need to take time off to regroup. The Thai administration uses NO logic and will make extremely bad decisions based on their hierarchical scheme - someone at the top of the food chain has a brain fart and no one can argue with them. This affected us foreign teachers daily. Thank goodness we had foreign managers who would usually step up and return a firm, "No" to their insane requests. Bottom line, it was generally easier than I imagined after a short learning curve.

The actual teaching is the reason I keep returning. The students are generally amenable and, if you use the right approach, eager to learn. After a while you get the hang of it and the time in the classroom is enjoyable.

There is a MOUNTAIN of perfunctory paperwork (weekly lesson plans, topic outlines, test prep, etc.) and I usually went in more often than not on Saturdays. Every school I've seen requires teachers to report between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m. depending on the school. Almost impossible to find a gym open early, that's why I bought a minimal setup for my own condo.

Once the newness wears off and you get into the swing of things, you can leave the school behind in the evenings.

The majority of foreign teachers I've met were either gap year kids, alcoholics, or a combo of both. There ARE some fine, career teachers to be found, but if you are REALLY thinking of teaching for life, do whatever is necessary to get into an international school. That's the only true career path in Thailand and then to other parts of the world. There are also plenty of Thai government or private schools where you can try it on for size with a minimum of personal training (some will hire with merely a TEFL certificate though THAT topic by itself will burst into flaming arguments as it is technically illegal in Thailand). Work for a year and see if it's what you want to do. The fact that you're giving it careful thought would indicate it might be for you. Best of luck!

3 hours ago, hydraides said:

I think it is the use of gym as a verb... personally I like a bit of creativity - - though this is a bit less than a bit... where do you "summer" ?

1 hour ago, dunque said:

Sadly this just another example of the ongoing snowball that is 'verbing'. People were medalling at the recent Olympics top scoring at cricket and no doubt a lot of us will be googling or skyping later.  

All of your examples have been added to the Oxford dictionary as verbs. Funny, but they have become legit.

Give the OP a break. Snide comments about his grammar , "I gym everyday", are uncalled for. When people post on these forums, we're just bashing out our thoughts. No one is concerned with correct grammar on the internet.

Also OP, don't listen to anything about teaching which  Suradit99 says. He's a chronic hater of English teachers.

For most of us teaching English is the only work we can get. Many hate it but still do it. That's sad. I happen to very much enjoy it. Give it a try. If you enjoy it great, if not stop.

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

No different then from the thinking of the Thai authorities, as a teaching qualification is not required- only a degree.  

We are native English speakers with TEFL certificates and Uni degrees. In North America it qualifies us to teach at language centres, government facilities, and community centres. Why people on this forum demand BEd degrees and teaching certificates astounds me. If those were to be required, Thailand would have zero native English teachers. You are the same people who ridicule the Thai English teachers as not speaking coherent English. What do you want, TEFL certified native English speakers without BEd's or incoherent Thai teachers?

We are native English speakers with TEFL certificates and Uni degrees. In North America it qualifies us to teach at language centres, government facilities, and community centres. Why people on this forum demand BEd degrees and teaching certificates astounds me. If those were to be required, Thailand would have zero native English teachers. You are the same people who ridicule the Thai English teachers as not speaking coherent English. What do you want, TEFL certified native English speakers without BEd's or incoherent Thai teachers?
The qualifications for teaching English as a foreign language in Thailand are pretty much the same as anywhere else. TEFL.com is currently full of adverts for TEFL teachers in the UK for the summer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The qualifications for teaching English as a foreign language in Thailand are pretty much the same as anywhere else. TEFL.com is currently full of adverts for TEFL teachers in the UK for the summer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I know that but people in TVF world seem to think you need PhD's in both education and linguistics plus a Doctorate in Rocket Science to be able to do anything for the students here. My job is talking to kids and getting them to respond. How fun is that? I love it!

Archived