Extension of Stay / Work Permit Expiring March 31 - how do I ensure everything is clear?

I have an extension of stay based on employment dated until March 31 with work permit. I am not renewing my contract. 

The school said I need to return the work permit to them Friday (March 30) for cancellation and then I can leave the country Saturday (March 31). I am going to Laos for a SETV and then returning to my home country in May. They thought I would fly out, but I want to leave by land at Nong Khai on March 31 and I've read that I may be turned down without cancelling my extension of stay at immigration. I was going to cancel my WP at Labor, get my receipt and go to immigration and cancel my extension of stay, and then be all good to go.

But if I cancel my WP and extension, I want to ensure I can still leave March 31. I've asked for a termination letter to be dated March 31 from my school so I can do it myself but it's been over a week and I still haven't received it. I have only two work days left. They are prefer to cancel the work permit themselves. HR seems to think the employer must be the one who cancels it (which I know is untrue, but it's less for me to do).

So I have a couple questions:

1. Can I cancel my extension of stay at immigration with only a termination letter dated for March 31? Or do I NEED a WP cancellation receipt? Like I said, the school seems to want to handle cancellation on the final working day (or after, if that's allowed).

2. If I have to buy a plane ticket out, do I need to cancel my extension before as well? I've read extension of stay will cancel automatically at the airport.

I would prefer to leave by land, as I already have a ticket to Udon Thani and was going to mini-bus it to VTE, but it seems much more complicated. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! I also already have hotels in VTE so I'd prefer to just keep it as my destination for SETV after this.

1. If you have the termination letter you can show it at the border. They may send you to a nearby immigration office to cancel the extension. But if you are leaving on the same day it expires they may not ask you to do that.

Not all immigration offices want to see the work permit cancellation to cancel an extension.

2. No problem to leave by air.

16 minutes ago, thedan663 said:

Thanks for the answer. I've heard that not cancelling the extension of stay could have problems in the future if I return and get employed. Is this true?

Their have been reports of some immigration offices wanting the extension canceled before issuing a new one. Since you will be leaving on the date it will expire they should not make a problem. Keeping a copy of the termination letter would be a good idea.

Immigration offices are asking for it because many people just leave the country without informing their employer.