Court dismisses fraud case over bogus GT200 bomb detectors

webfact

Court dismisses fraud case over bogus GT200 bomb detectors

By KESINEE JAIKAWANG 
THE NATION

c7f9635500719ee15b7c101e2f01ccff.jpeg

File photo

DON MUANG Municipal Court yesterday dismissed charges in a fraud trial filed by the Armed Forces Security Centre against Jackson Electronics (Thailand), which supplied eight faulty bomb-detecting devices known as GT200, worth Bt10.4 million, to the centre in 2007.

After the procurement, the bomb-detecting devices manufactured by a UK firm failed to detect explosives as advertised.

But the supplier was not held responsible – based on a lack of evidence that the firm’s executives knew the products and information in the catalogues were faulty.

The Security Centre under the Royal Thai Armed Forces filed the case against the company, which has an office in Bang Na district, after the equipment was tested by the National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA) and found to be faulty.

9e6938649535f7cd0c5846b1661d2225.jpeg

The NSTDA reported that the GT200s were composed of two pieces of plastic, and wholly lacking in electronic circuits to receive signals, as advertised in a catalogue distributed to potential customers.

The supposed sensors were made of four pieces of black paper, without any circuitry, the report concluded.

In the catalogue, the device is shown to have a swivel antenna that does not require a battery or other power source, because it is purportedly powered by the human user’s static electricity. 

The advertisement also claimed the GT200 detector could detect ammunition, explosives, drugs, gold, ivory, currency and tobacco, even if the items were buried.

afe946f3b9a658ed9a4f2de0cfba9e38.jpeg

The Security Centre filed fraud charges against the firm, which is managed by a Taiwanese national, for alleged false advertising concerning the specifications of the devices.

The plaintiff told the court that the Taiwanese executive had demonstrated how to use the devices and distributed catalogues to the military officials before the Security Centre purchased the eight detectors for Bt1.3 million each.

The firm won a bidding process to provide the bomb detectors to the Security Centre by demonstrating the equipment to a six-member procurement committee, the court heard.

However, the ruling dismissed charges on the grounds that the evidence did not show that Jackson Electronics had been aware of the false information in the catalogues, as the company was a middleman for the UK company Compact that provided the equipment and catalogues.

The defendant’s distribution of the catalogues during the demonstration did not prove the executive knew the information was false, the ruling stated.

According to Komsan Srivanich, Jackson Electronics’ lawyer, who was present at the court, a similar trial in the UK against Compact, a UK firm supplying the bomb detectors, was also dismissed on similar grounds.

The court ruled that the plaintiff could file a separate case in civil court.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341973

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-29

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The advertisement also claimed the GT200 detector could detect ammunition, explosives, drugs, gold, ivory, currency and tobacco, even if the items were buried

Wow....!!

Device of the century...

And only 1.3 million each......Where can I buy one?

39 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Just another case that makes Thailand a laughing stock.

Yet again it appears a large amount of money was paid out to get the required court ruling.

For me it also makes the UK a laughing stock, after all they were the ones who sold them...the Thai just believed them because of their good reputation....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jayboy said:

The UK justice system prosecuted and then convicted the wrongdoers.The Thai army's military procurement committee, which is meant to conduct its own detailed investigation and not act on hearsay, approved the purchase of this junk.At the very least the members should be identiified and required to account for their stupidity and or criminality or both.

They probably couldn't read the manual and just trusted the UK-seller who also sold them to Mexico and other countries. When those things didn't work they must have been thinking they were doing something wrong, still trusting on the good reputation of the UK.

But that vendor is convicted, was he forced to pay back to Thailand to save the good reputation of the UK?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Are suggesting the Thai procurement people had the outlook and analytical capacity of cockroaches? I suggest they knew exactly what they were doing.

No need to use language like that.

If you go to the Toyota dealer, watch a demonstration of their cars and decide to buy some of them to find out the cars have no engine after delivery. Would that make you have the brain of a cockroach as well??

The army was cheated by a Taiwanese national....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Security Centre filed fraud charges against the firm, which is managed by a Taiwanese national, for alleged false advertising concerning the specifications of the devices.

The plaintiff told the court that the Taiwanese executive had demonstrated how to use the devices and distributed catalogues to the military officials before the Security Centre purchased the eight detectors for Bt1.3 million each.

17 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Device RETAILED at $8K USD, but Thailand bought wholesale and paid upwards of $30K USD EACH. Scam upon scam.

Why the Taiwanese middle man? Just <deleted>' money laundering.

The sale of arms and security equipment is replete with overcharging all over the world.

It is a disgrace.

2 academics ( from uk and usa) did a study which showed due to cronyism and hiding behind the terrorism 'bogeyman' that countries like uk, usa were paying the equivalent of 10% of gdp

Yes it galls but to suggest it is a problem peculiar to thailand or even a thai trait is utterly unfair and totally incorrect.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is my favourite part; 

"...powered by the user's static electricity..."

Me thinks certain well-connected people do not want this trial to proceed as it would show who was actually responsible for the purchase, and that could be a wee bit embarrassing...

do you REALLY think that might be true, even a little bit?

3 hours ago, JOC said:

Wow....!!

Device of the century...

And only 1.3 million each......Where can I buy one?

Better still, I have a really nice well maintained toll bridge generating millions of dollars a year, tax free - it's located on one of the best harbours in the world - I am willing to let it go for  $A 1,000,000 and can discount it 2.5% for cash. 

Please PM me if interested.

2 hours ago, tracker1 said:
The 6 person procurement committee surely must have copped a whopper out of this  ! wonder who they were ?

e the 6 member precurement team

looks likr

I'd think they got more than just a burger out of it.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1