Enforcement Of 90 Out Of 180 Days

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike why on earth are you putting yourself through all this ? :o if you are regularly coming here for genuine business purposes and you have

an Austrian passport plus you don't have any criminal record - you should be eligible for an APEC Buiness Travel Card.

This will solve all your problems plus you get to use special lanes at immigration - in some countries it's the diplomatic channel Lane !

I must warn you it will take up to a year to get all your clearances for all 17 participating countries ( the People's Republic of China

takes athe longest ) but you could get an interim card in far shorter time. for places like Thailand they usually only take 8 to 10 weeks

to give you their clearence. I'm telling you in your situation it would be a real investment !

Yes, the APEC Business Travel Card is a good solution and a very useful thing to have for many countries. However the procesing time is sooooooo long! I applied for one on Sep 06 - many countries have already approved me, however Thailand is one of only 2 or 3 that is still outstanding after nearly 5 months of waiting! Approvals from Thailand I was told, have slowed down following the events of last Sept! For a bone fide business person, I guess the wait is inconvenient, but does not really matter as other visa options are legitimately available. This is not though a rapid solution to anyone's visa problems. Hopefully will all be finalised before my non-imm B expires in 3 months though!?!?

I just can not understand why so many people who visit Thailand frequently just don’t get the one year multi ‘0’entry visa come in and out as many times as you like with no problems 90 days at a time

Because the criteria for a non O are people who are married to a Thai or over 50 (or education or a couple of other lesser used ones)..

Simply visiting friends and family is no longer a valid reason although some consuls still incorrectly (in the eyes of the embassys) give these out. If you dont have a friendly consul or you are not in the above (IE all the young retired single) what do you do ??

This is my first post so please be gently.

I come to Thialand every month (from Aistralia) as part of a business consulting group in IT services. I spend from 2 to 30 days in Thailand but usually 5 to 12 days. Have been doing this for 4 years and have always used the 30day Visa on arrival.

I have been waiting to see how they are going to enforce the 90 out of 180 day limit of stay usng the 30 day visa on arrival as Icould be affacted.

Arrived last night at the airport (25th JAN), nearly 4 months into the new system. Thought it may have been automated - how wrong I was.

The immigration official lokked at my passport and saw the mant entries to Thailadn in the past - she asked me how many days I had spend in Thailand since the 1st of October and I said "about 60". She then went through the passport and identified all the entries and exits since the 1st of October 2006. She added up the days and came to 64 - therefore I was not granted a 30 days visa but a visa which expires in 26 days.

So a few points to note -

- The enforcment of the 90 in 180 days is as per expected and was fair as per the guidelines I understood.

- The is no elcectronic system to automatically calulate the days used or left in the 180 days period.

- The days are counted as per entries in the passport - if you have two passports then I asume you could use two to stay on two lots of "90 out of 180" and be here the whole time - although illegally.

- It is VERY time consuming - it took a good 15 minutes for her to go through my passport and annoyed the people waiting behind me in the line.

- Adding to the time was the issue that typically Thai immigration officers do not put stamps in a chronoloigal order so she had to go thriugh my passport from page 1 to page 64 to check for all entries from Oct 1.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike why on earth are you putting yourself through all this ? :o if you are regularly coming here for genuine business purposes and you have

an Austrian passport plus you don't have any criminal record - you should be eligible for an APEC Buiness Travel Card.

This will solve all your problems plus you get to use special lanes at immigration - in some countries it's the diplomatic channel Lane !

I must warn you it will take up to a year to get all your clearances for all 17 participating countries ( the People's Republic of China

takes athe longest ) but you could get an interim card in far shorter time. for places like Thailand they usually only take 8 to 10 weeks

to give you their clearence. I'm telling you in your situation it would be a real investment !

Mike

Get yourself a multple entry Non_B business visa, most home country consulates turn them round over night with a minimum of fuss.

It is worth the application once a year................

I am sorry ramidin but I have to disagree with you ! There are many reasons why an APEC Card

is far superior to a Non_B business visa :-

1. cost-saving

I cannot remember how much I paid for my last Non B but I'm sure it was around 2,000 thb for just one year ?

The APEC card only costs $155 for 3 years ! i.e. $50 A$ a year !

2. spread the cost over many countries

And then once you have it you can visit all these countries without having to pay a single cent in any more visa fees

for these countries as well :-

Brunei Darussalam

Chile

Hong Kong (China)

Indonesia

Japan

Republic of Korea

Papua New Guinea

People's Republic of China

The Philippines

Malaysia

Peru

Singapore

Chinese Taipei

Thailand

Vietnam

next week I am going to Vietnam where I would otherwise have paid at least 2,000 THB

for a single entry visa to the country alone. Similarly last year I saved a lot on visa fees to China so Mike

shouldn't just be thinking of saving visa fees in Thailand alone. if he wants to go

to the Olympic Games next year he would be able to do so using his

APEC card at no extra cost !

3. saving time at airports

this is excellent because no matter how big the lines are at immigration desks

anywhere you just breeze through the APEC lane or in Beijing for example the lane

for diplomatic passport holders. I can tell you you will save an incredible amount of time.

Because Mike is an Australian passport holder I just think he may as well enquire with the

department of immigration in Canberra to see if he's eligible - it won't cost him

anything to enquire and if you can get it it's worth its weight in gold ! :D

I just can not understand why so many people who visit Thailand frequently just don’t get the one year multi ‘0’entry visa come in and out as many times as you like with no problems 90 days at a time

Because the criteria for a non O are people who are married to a Thai or over 50 (or education or a couple of other lesser used ones)..

Simply visiting friends and family is no longer a valid reason although some consuls still incorrectly (in the eyes of the embassys) give these out. If you dont have a friendly consul or you are not in the above (IE all the young retired single) what do you do ??

You go back home and pass away slowly in London's fog... like I'll be doing soon... :o

[sandy]

The important factor thats being missed in these discussions of non O's and APEC cards..

Some immigration points are now counting a tourist visa as being part of the 90 days in country total when all along immigration had said that it was only the visa waiver days to be counted.. This seems to also apply to some SEA consuls issueing practice for tourist visa's also.

Many people simply dont fit a non O or non B profile (wealthy single people under 50).. Without a visa class for them then counting 60 day tourist visa's as part of the 90 amount is a big problem.

I lean towards this being the occasional badly informed immigration officer rather than the rule but thats no help when stood in front of him.

This is my first post so please be gently.

I come to Thialand every month (from Aistralia) as part of a business consulting group in IT services. I spend from 2 to 30 days in Thailand but usually 5 to 12 days. Have been doing this for 4 years and have always used the 30day Visa on arrival.

I have been waiting to see how they are going to enforce the 90 out of 180 day limit of stay usng the 30 day visa on arrival as Icould be affacted.

Arrived last night at the airport (25th JAN), nearly 4 months into the new system. Thought it may have been automated - how wrong I was.

The immigration official lokked at my passport and saw the mant entries to Thailadn in the past - she asked me how many days I had spend in Thailand since the 1st of October and I said "about 60". She then went through the passport and identified all the entries and exits since the 1st of October 2006. She added up the days and came to 64 - therefore I was not granted a 30 days visa but a visa which expires in 26 days.

So a few points to note -

- The enforcment of the 90 in 180 days is as per expected and was fair as per the guidelines I understood.

- The is no elcectronic system to automatically calulate the days used or left in the 180 days period.

- The days are counted as per entries in the passport - if you have two passports then I asume you could use two to stay on two lots of "90 out of 180" and be here the whole time - although illegally.

- It is VERY time consuming - it took a good 15 minutes for her to go through my passport and annoyed the people waiting behind me in the line.

- Adding to the time was the issue that typically Thai immigration officers do not put stamps in a chronoloigal order so she had to go thriugh my passport from page 1 to page 64 to check for all entries from Oct 1.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

Get yourself a multple entry Non_B business visa, most home country consulates turn them round over night with a minimum of fuss.

It is worth the application once a year................

I am sorry ramidin but I have to disagree with you ! There are many reasons why an APEC Card

is far superior to a Non_B business visa :-

1. cost-saving

I cannot remember how much I paid for my last Non B but I'm sure it was around 2,000 thb for just one year ?

The APEC card only costs $155 for 3 years ! i.e. $50 A$ a year !

2. spread the cost over many countries

And then once you have it you can visit all these countries without having to pay a single cent in any more visa fees

for these countries as well :-

Brunei Darussalam

Chile

Hong Kong (China)

Indonesia

Japan

Republic of Korea

Papua New Guinea

People's Republic of China

The Philippines

Malaysia

Peru

Singapore

Chinese Taipei

Thailand

Vietnam

next week I am going to Vietnam where I would otherwise have paid at least 2,000 THB

for a single entry visa to the country alone. Similarly last year I saved a lot on visa fees to China so Mike

shouldn't just be thinking of saving visa fees in Thailand alone. if he wants to go

to the Olympic Games next year he would be able to do so using his

APEC card at no extra cost !

3. saving time at airports

this is excellent because no matter how big the lines are at immigration desks

anywhere you just breeze through the APEC lane or in Beijing for example the lane

for diplomatic passport holders. I can tell you you will save an incredible amount of time.

Because Mike is an Australian passport holder I just think he may as well enquire with the

department of immigration in Canberra to see if he's eligible - it won't cost him

anything to enquire and if you can get it it's worth its weight in gold ! :D

Also bear in mind that you cant legally work in Thailand if you enter with your APEC card.

You would still have to enter on a Non-Immigrant Visa and then obtain a Work Permit.

Likewise for other countries and their respective regulations regarding working.

PS: Just to validate the info I have put forth in this thread, I have an APEC card and a Non-Imm B and WP.

Edited by kiakaha

My understanding is after 90 days in Thailand, you have to leave the country for 90 days. It seems like they treated you fairly. Better to upgrade to a legitimate visa, and avoid the potential BS.
now i really am getting pissed off with the inconsintencies here. i have just been to immigration in jomtien to extend my tourist visa. visa history since october 1st is:

oct 29 enter on 30 day visa exempt at suvarnabhmi

nov27 exit at nong khai (30 days up)

dec 4 enter at nong khai on tourist visa (60 days given,expire on 1 feb)

jan 26 extension at jomtien(30 day extension given to expire on3 mar)

the officer told me he could grant me a further 7 days in case of emergency,otherwise at the end of my extension i will have to leave for 3 months!!!!!. this makes no sense to me at all. theyre making it up as they go along i think.its going to be the same old story ,its going to be up to the INDIVIDUAL you deal with and how they interpret it.

Are they also counting the days that you have not been in the Country towards the 90 days that you have to be out?

now i really am getting pissed off with the inconsintencies here. i have just been to immigration in jomtien to extend my tourist visa. visa history since october 1st is:

oct 29 enter on 30 day visa exempt at suvarnabhmi

nov27 exit at nong khai (30 days up)

dec 4 enter at nong khai on tourist visa (60 days given,expire on 1 feb)

jan 26 extension at jomtien(30 day extension given to expire on3 mar)

the officer told me he could grant me a further 7 days in case of emergency,otherwise at the end of my extension i will have to leave for 3 months!!!!!. this makes no sense to me at all. theyre making it up as they go along i think.its going to be the same old story ,its going to be up to the INDIVIDUAL you deal with and how they interpret it.

Hold on.. Did he give a 7 day extension or did he grant the 30 day until March 3rd ??

You should be ok being on a tourist visa and non visa exemption but the whole mess is looking shaky.. No clear cut policy beween border and airport immigrations, local consuls, incountry immigration, etc..

If I read the story correctly, you were given a 30 extension as expected, and then the officer helpfully told you that only one additional extension, for 7 days, would be granted. As to not being able to return for 90 days, I think the officer was misinformed or speaking carelessly. Unless there is something new we don't yet know, there is no limit at this time with the number of sequential tourist visas that may be issued (buy a consulate). Of course, if th gov is still upset by the numbers of foreigners spending time in the Kingdom, is would be a relatively simple matter to shut the valve on unlimited sequential tourist visas, limit or stop issuing them in the regional consulates. Are you saying that if you turn up at a border or the airport with valid 60 visa, you will be turned away?

I still fail to understand what the fuss is all about; hoards of dirty foreigners, prowling around the country unsupervised, doing gawd knows what, corrupting the local population, getting into all sorts of mischief no doubt! But, then again, there is lots of stuff I don't understand, and we have been over and over and over it in these threads! Sigh!

Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall

Also are you aware of the definication of a tourist according the the UN - its a person who travels away from home and stays more then one nite and less than one year ---

Hey, didn't know there was an "official" definition of a tourist around! Maybe that could put a stop on the mumblings of those holier-than-thou-dogooders here that constantly moan around "You stay here more than six weeks so you can't be a tourist!" once and for all?

FYI: I am over 50, married to a Thai wife, and in poosession of a work permit.

But some 25 Years ago I udertook a long holiday, almost three Years, around the Americas, Australia, and Africa. Longest stay in one Country was over 10 month (with "Visa runs"). I had the time and the money, did not work, so I considered myself (and still do in retrospective) a tourist.

Sunny

what really adds to the confusion is that if the officer sees the days on tourist exempt visa and tourist visa as both counting towards the 90 days, why did he give me another 30 days?? :o

The common factor is the word "tourist" - whether it's a (tourist) visa-on-arrival or a tourist visa stamped into your passport by a Thai embassy or consulate. That's my experience from applying for a 2-month tourist visa & wanting another one within 6 months -- the lady at the consulate said that she could only issue a 1-month visa as the second one (meaning: I might as well do it on a visa-on-arrival, which is free).

So: it seems as though any sort of visa below a non-immigrant is considered a tourist visa and thus counts towards 90 days within 180...

Uncool. :D

Sorry for being a bit thick this morning (Leo)

Are we now saying the law is 60 day tourist +30 day extention =90days & your out for 6 months as well.

So what is the point in paying for a visa & extention if thats the case

Hi guys

This Aussie was nice enough to write a report and inform us of the fact that and how they enforce these idiotic new laws and all he gets from most of us is a lecture of some kind.

This Forum reflects very much the kind of people (Tourists & Expats) living here in the "Land of Smile".... I better stop here or some of you might get a heart attack...

Keep defending this "lovely" country with it's "pristine" culture....Or open your eyes...watch the kind of people roaming the streets of Pattaya, Bangkok(Tourist areas), work for at least a year with the so lovely hosts in this country and most of all, don't lie to yourself....it is all an illusion..

Below a copy of one of many letters to Pattaya Mail....I did now write it...

"I had a strange dream"

Dear Sirs,

I had a strange dream last night. I dreamt that US Ambassador Boyce held a news conference to announce:

A. Thai citizens no longer will be allowed to purchase property in the US.

B. Thai travelers to the US will be allowed to remain in the US for only 90 days, and will be prohibited from return visits for 90 days.

C. Thai investment in the US stock market will be subject to a 30 percent “Reserve” penalty.

D. Thai visitors will be charged up to 400 percent of the normal fee for entry into national parks, privately owned parks, restaurants, etc.

E. Thai citizens seeking medical care in the US must pay cash up front or large amounts of gold jewelry in escrow.

F. All traffic regulations will be suspended during the holiday season. Stop lights will only be meant as a suggestion.

G. All official documents regarding these new acts will be published only in Greek.

H. Thais who are unhappy with the foregoing new policies are encouraged to go to Cambodia.

I thought it a bizarre dream. Then I realized that the US Embassy doesn’t give a hoot about the concept of reciprocity in international relations.

Sadly, the Thais also seem reluctant to face reality, determined to press on unfettered by facts or informed opinion. I recall a comment allegedly made by a senior Thai leader, “Take from the West everything and give back nothing”. The average Thai seems immersed in this philosophy. A fish doesn’t know when it’s wet.

Sincerely,

Arthur Lee Gordon

Retired FSO

Pattaya

Keep smiling folks.....But this will not change anything for the better....The rest of the world is laughing!

Disillusioned... : :o

Hi guys

This Aussie was nice enough to write a report and inform us of the fact that and how they enforce these idiotic new laws and all he gets from most of us is a lecture of some kind.

This Forum reflects very much the kind of people (Tourists & Expats) living here in the "Land of Smile".... I better stop here or some of you might get a heart attack...

Keep defending this "lovely" country with it's "pristine" culture....Or open your eyes...watch the kind of people roaming the streets of Pattaya, Bangkok(Tourist areas), work for at least a year with the so lovely hosts in this country and most of all, don't lie to yourself....it is all an illusion..

Below a copy of one of many letters to Pattaya Mail....I did now write it...

"I had a strange dream"

Dear Sirs,

I had a strange dream last night. I dreamt that US Ambassador Boyce held a news conference to announce:

A. Thai citizens no longer will be allowed to purchase property in the US.

B. Thai travelers to the US will be allowed to remain in the US for only 90 days, and will be prohibited from return visits for 90 days.

C. Thai investment in the US stock market will be subject to a 30 percent “Reserve” penalty.

D. Thai visitors will be charged up to 400 percent of the normal fee for entry into national parks, privately owned parks, restaurants, etc.

E. Thai citizens seeking medical care in the US must pay cash up front or large amounts of gold jewelry in escrow.

F. All traffic regulations will be suspended during the holiday season. Stop lights will only be meant as a suggestion.

G. All official documents regarding these new acts will be published only in Greek.

H. Thais who are unhappy with the foregoing new policies are encouraged to go to Cambodia.

I thought it a bizarre dream. Then I realized that the US Embassy doesn’t give a hoot about the concept of reciprocity in international relations.

Sadly, the Thais also seem reluctant to face reality, determined to press on unfettered by facts or informed opinion. I recall a comment allegedly made by a senior Thai leader, “Take from the West everything and give back nothing”. The average Thai seems immersed in this philosophy. A fish doesn’t know when it’s wet.

Sincerely,

Arthur Lee Gordon

Retired FSO

Pattaya

Keep smiling folks.....But this will not change anything for the better....The rest of the world is laughing!

Disillusioned... : :D

But what has this got to do with Mike who was an Australian businessman travels here

once a month and just wants to know the most practical way to end to the country

temporarily ? :o

hi,

as I understand it, there is maybe a lot of wind for nothing. The officer just told him : if the 90 days of your touristvisa are over and you still in the country you can get another 7 days (kind of imergency regulation for not being illegal here in that case) = same for a 30 day visa on arrival, you can go to immigration and ask for a few extra days in case of immergancy.

Nothing stands him in the way to leave the country at the end of his touristvisa to get a new one or to do 3 visaruns.

there are only 2 cases in this treat where an officer said something wrong, but its not a new regulation.

refering to 1) counting the touristvisa days 2) the man with B-visa staying to long...

or do I seeing it wrong ..?

Mike

I bet you were popular............

Multiple queues is a nonsense anyway.

A single queue and multiple outlets is much more efficient,and practiced by immigration in many countries now.

Don Muang had this the last couple of times I came in. It was great.

Man, you people are like a bunch of old women - panic, panic, panic - yet you've only got half information and hardly any of you have bothered to check at Thai immigration.

I went for my last 30 day visa run last week. I asked THREE different immigration officials and was told "Yes, you can now go to Malaysia and get a 90 day tourist visa as the new 90 days in Thailand law is ONLY FOR VISAS ON ARRIVAL". I mean they've been saying this for months but some of you don't seem to understand VISA ON ARRIVAL. (Hope none of you are teachers as you obviously can't read! :-)

I also have several friends who have gone to Malaysia in the last month after having done 3 thirty day visa runs. Every single one of them was given a 90 day tourist visa. No problem! So yes, you CAN stay 180 days in Thailand, just NOT on a visa on arrival.

All Thai immigration is doing is trying to get people into the system. It's difficult with the 30 day visa runs, but a tourist visa gets you into the system. That's all.

There are many rumours about not being able to get tourist visas but it's not true. It's just from people who know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. Geez - what a bunch of nervous nellies :-)

Oh and I was also given a printed sheet of paper that came from BKK Immigration Dept. which explained which visas each country's citizen could get and for how long - and on the sheet it said three 30 day visa on arrivals, and 90 day tourist visas (no mention at all of not being able to get the tourist visa if you've already done the 30 day visa runs!)

The question is not about "visa on arrival" which are only issued upon payment and to a small number of countries and provide a 15 day stay.

The question is about visa exempt entry for 30 day stays. In that regard the rule is 90 days and visa arrivals should not count toward that number.

There are many rumours about not being able to get tourist visas but it's not true. It's just from people who know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. Geez - what a bunch of nervous nellies :-)

Please explain the 'no more tourist visas here' attitude of many SEA consuls then ?? PP Vientienne Myanmar etc ?? Not true ??

OK interesting to note they set a custom amount of days to bring you to exactly 90.. I also wonder if you could get an in country extension ???

This will get even more funny when they have to have a rolling start date.. And work around the month ends..

Is there a sweepstake for when this is going to be swept under the carpet ?? Too much work for them..

I did one border run after Octobe, then decided the whole system was too dodgy to rely on being able or unable to continue so applied for, and got quite easily 12 month multiple entry. Problem solved.
OK interesting to note they set a custom amount of days to bring you to exactly 90.. I also wonder if you could get an in country extension ???

This will get even more funny when they have to have a rolling start date.. And work around the month ends..

Is there a sweepstake for when this is going to be swept under the carpet ?? Too much work for them..

I think it is madness no matter what.

If it is such a huss,and if they want to change the code ,what they did for visa free enrty.

Why not just give a 2 or 3 month visa free to all farangs.A lot of them will extend there holidays.

Like malaysia where you get a 60 or 90 day free stay.A lot of problems finihed ,and what do you think about all the time consuming work the imm has got to do,still bananarepublic over here.I love it don't understand me wrong ,just getting tired too many right now....

Hey mate, can you get in touch with me on //email removed per forum rules - contact by PM to receive - lopburi3// ? I want to chat with you about Malaysian vis... Thanks !

The start date will begin rolling in the first week of April. It won't make a lot of difference as the Immigration would just need to post a new start date everyday to use in their 90 day calculations.

Man, you people are like a bunch of old women - panic, panic, panic - yet you've only got half information and hardly any of you have bothered to check at Thai immigration.

I went for my last 30 day visa run last week. I asked THREE different immigration officials and was told "Yes, you can now go to Malaysia and get a 90 day tourist visa as the new 90 days in Thailand law is ONLY FOR VISAS ON ARRIVAL". I mean they've been saying this for months but some of you don't seem to understand VISA ON ARRIVAL. (Hope none of you are teachers as you obviously can't read! :-)

I also have several friends who have gone to Malaysia in the last month after having done 3 thirty day visa runs. Every single one of them was given a 90 day tourist visa. No problem! So yes, you CAN stay 180 days in Thailand, just NOT on a visa on arrival.

All Thai immigration is doing is trying to get people into the system. It's difficult with the 30 day visa runs, but a tourist visa gets you into the system. That's all.

who you calling nervous nellie baby in thailand? the point is the inconsistencies that are happening and will continue to happen,not that people are panicing. youve obviously not been here very long or youd realise that asking 3 officials is completely irrelevant. it will depend on the one you deal with on the day. if you get one whos got it all wrong(like you refering to voa lol) then the 3 you asked arent going to help. :o

The start date will begin rolling in the first week of April. It won't make a lot of difference as the Immigration would just need to post a new start date everyday to use in their 90 day calculations.

OK so if so simple.. What is 6 months (immigration has consitantly used 6 months not 180 days) before Agust 29 30 or 31 ??

It seems reasonably safe to go to Laos or other 'friendly' embassies for a tourist visa after 90 days of visa runs, but what about the reverse situation, that is after been 90 days or more in Thailand on single or multiple tourist visa. Time to do a visa run then or go to Laos for another tourist visa?

Has anyone had any experience with that situation yet?

Jack’s Golf is doing runs for the longer visa with an overnight stay in Laos. However it also looks like some of the border officers are trying to figure out a way to supplement their income or they just don’t know. That is based on inconsistences I have seen in posts.

BABEINTHAILAND

30 day visa on arrival :D Think you need to understand a bit more about visas

and 30 day permit to stay in Thailand tourist stamps.

Think you got your terminology a bit crossed

Have a nice day.

Look. I've been here nearly 10 years and I still don't know what to call the ###### things! I refer to them as "Visa on Arrival" (VOA) because that sounds reasonable and at least "seemed" to be the accepted convention around here. More recently, I have read posts where people are corrected for using the "VOA" term and told instead something to the effect of "30 day stamp" or "30 day entry permit." Even in Thailand, the thing must have a proper name! (Well, maybe not! :o

I looked in my passport and the identical entry stamp appears to be used for all entries into the Kingdom regardless of what type of visa you have or don't have. There is a blank line for "Visa class" and on that line (or nearby) they have written the class of my visa depending the occasion: "tourist" or "B" in most cases. In those case where I have entered without a visa, its the same stamp with a Thai character that looks vaguely like an English "W" with a little circle on the top of the left-hand down stroke of the "W", and then ".30". Something like W.30 .

Why is something so basic as to what to call the ###### thing so obscure and controversial???

Aloha,

Rex

There are many rumours about not being able to get tourist visas but it's not true. It's just from people who know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. Geez - what a bunch of nervous nellies :-) end of quote]

That was from Babeinthailand.

I think Babe got something. Here is my story:

Went to Singapore on Dec 26th to get a Retirement Visa on the strenght of my earning. The nice Muslim girl behind the window was not interested in my earnings at all. "bank book with 800,000 B, the only way. Otherwise to go to your home country" (Canadian)

But she was willing to give me a 90 day toursit visa, although my 90 days - three visa extensions at the border - were up.

Okay, I said, thank you. At the airport - no problems, 60 days. Now can stay until Feb 24 (60 days).

I'll try to get REtirement visa in Bangkok this Tuesday. Hope they accept my proof of earnings and fact I have been in Thailand for several years, am old enough, and not send me back to my country to apply there. I let you guys know how it turns out. Ciao.