Information about privacy issue and filing a complaint

crystalblue

My tax refund check from the Revenue Department arrived in our office, the secretary told me I can pick it up anytime, the next morning I was ready to pick it up and arrived at the office.  The secretary told me that the Accountant is keeping my letter and said it is not a money check.  I asked them to just give me the letter so I can see it for myself because it belongs to me whatever is the content I must see it and have it.  The Manager called the accountant and asked her if she can just give the letter to me.  The Accountant said she opened a letter, read it and throw it away in the bin.  Now I am forever lost and did not even see my own letter whether it is a check or not, she invaded my privacy and worse she threw it away in the garbage and now the letter was lost.  I will be forever wondering what is that letter.  I am pretty sure that the letter is a check from the Revenue Department because the secretary told me it is colored blue and it is from the Revenue Department. The secretary hand the letter to the Accountant because she thought it is about FINANCES but the letter was on my name and not for the company.  I felt so abused and I want to file a complaint about it.  Can someone tell me what can be the possible offense of this accountant and what is the process.  Is there a deadline for filing a lawsuit from the time of blotter? (Actually there are 2 blue letters she opened, one for me and one for another colleague and also wants to complain).  If she accidentally opened my letter, why throw away in the garbage? She did the same with the other letter of my colleague.  She intentionally did it I assume for whatever reason.  I don't think she is stupid of the law because she is a Senior Accountant she just intentionally destroyed our letter so we will be waiting for nothing to arrive.

Edited by crystalblue

Yes, I'd be somewhat peeved if this happened to me. But the first thing I would be doing is getting in touch with the Revenue Department & explain the situation & request they send you another "letter" to your residential address.

In my home country if a letter is addressed to a business address, the business have every right to open said mail. Having mail sent to work address isn't the best idea as I'm sure you now realize.

I doubt you'll have much joy in filing a law suite.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Yes, I'd be somewhat peeved if this happened to me. But the first thing I would be doing is getting in touch with the Revenue Department & explain the situation & request they send you another "letter" to your residential address.

In my home country if a letter is addressed to a business address, the business have every right to open said mail. Having mail sent to work address isn't the best idea as I'm sure you now realize.

I doubt you'll have much joy in filing a law suite.

say they can open it but to destroy it?

I sympathize with you. But isn't the main criteria here getting a "replacement letter"  ?

We are in Thailand after all, & I guess you'd have more hope of winning first division in the lottery than a successful result in any court action you might take.

If you do proceed with any action I'm sure we'd all like to know the result.

Best of luck.

11 minutes ago, crystalblue said:

Yes of course I would ask for another check letter.  I need a police report anyway as a requisite (for lost) for requesting a new letter.  Whether to level it up is not certain to this point this is why I am gathering some opinion.

Talk to your boss, tell him you want another letter and let him sort it out with the accountant. Let them do the run around. If there is a check it is on your name only and it says that the money can only be paid to the name on the check.

4 hours ago, crystalblue said:

Yes of course I would ask for another check letter.  I need a police report anyway as a requisite (for lost) for requesting a new letter.  Whether to level it up is not certain to this point this is why I am gathering some opinion.

Think for yourself. Your opinions as good as any ones on here or any other media site. You know what you have to do, you just said so.