Pattaya drains being cleared

Rimmer

Pattaya drains being cleared

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya sanitation workers are cleaning out drains throughout Pattaya to mitigate flooding.

A crew using heavy equipment and a vacuum truck sucked out rubbish, mud, sand and other debris clogging the underground pipes. Other trucks nearby hauled away the sludge.

The effort is just the part of a citywide drain-cleaning operation before rainy season sets in.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-03-30

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dorchester said:

Here comes our annual deaths from H2S, hydrogen sulfide.It plays a nasty game,of smelling like rotten eggs,then tricks your brain into thinking its gone when its not

Well, we're just gonna have to create as many negative spins as possible to compensate for the loss of finger-pointing at the "clogged drains" by our ace TVF Drainage Engineers. :passifier: Next: (1) too little too late and (2) just get clogged again, unlike the pristine drains in, ah, the UK. Be sure to report any subsequently clogged drains you notice to The Authorities rather than whinge here, though we do have a thread specifically for whinging.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dorchester said:

Here comes our annual deaths from H2S, hydrogen sulfide.It plays a nasty game,of smelling like rotten eggs,then tricks your brain into thinking its gone when its not

All that egg talk reminds me of 'Chicken Little, the sky is falling' fable that was read to me as a lad.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:35 AM, grumbleweed said:

Wonder how many expats they sucked up in the process

Yes interesting thought that gw....a few of my "pals" have gone AWOL,thought it might be upcoming sonkran to blame...that sheds a different light,I,ll have to investigate further..... :whistling:

• Haha 2

On 3/30/2018 at 12:36 PM, JSixpack said:

Well, we're just gonna have to create as many negative spins as possible to compensate for the loss of finger-pointing at the "clogged drains" by our ace TVF Drainage Engineers. :passifier: Next: (1) too little too late and (2) just get clogged again, unlike the pristine drains in, ah, the UK. Be sure to report any subsequently clogged drains you notice to The Authorities rather than whinge here, though we do have a thread specifically for whinging.

Yes, in the UK large drains are routinely blocked by fat and grease. I could publish some photos but people might be eating. The poor chaps who have the job of clearing these blockages earn every penny, and more, of their wages.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, champers said:

Yes, in the UK large drains are routinely blocked by fat and grease. I could publish some photos but people might be eating. The poor chaps who have the job of clearing these blockages earn every penny, and more, of their wages.

A fatberg weighing the same as 11 double decker buses and stretching the length of two football pitches is blocking a section of London’s ageing sewage network.

The congealed mass of fat, wet wipes and nappies is one of the biggest ever found and would have risked raw sewage flooding on to the streets in Whitechapel, east London, had it not been discovered during a routine inspection earlier this month.

Now workmen armed with shovels and high-powered jets are working seven days a week to break it up. The grim task is expected to take three weeks.

--'Total monster': fatberg blocks London sewage system

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

A fatberg weighing the same as 11 double decker buses and stretching the length of two football pitches is blocking a section of London’s ageing sewage network.

The congealed mass of fat, wet wipes and nappies is one of the biggest ever found and would have risked raw sewage flooding on to the streets in Whitechapel, east London, had it not been discovered during a routine inspection earlier this month.

Now workmen armed with shovels and high-powered jets are working seven days a week to break it up. The grim task is expected to take three weeks.

-- 'Total monster': fatberg blocks London sewage system

That is probably the best known example and bear in mind that a main London sewer is about the same diameter as an Underground Rail tunnel. One big futhermucker, dating back to Victorian times (1800s).

Plans are in place to build new super sewers, at an eye wateringly enormous cost, to ensure that Londoners do not drown in their own sh*t; a fate we must pray does not befall us Pattaya residents. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JSixpack said:

--'Total monster': fatberg blocks London sewage system

Could that be used for cooking?  Might a  bit of "funk" to some otherwise bland meals!

On 3/30/2018 at 11:56 AM, dorchester said:

Sorry, do you have a link to prove this, or is this  fake news?

42 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Sorry, do you have a link to prove this, or is this  fake news?

Not fake news  I remember a couple of cases  over the last few years of workers  going down drains to clear them and being overwhelmed by "fumes"

18 minutes ago, johng said:

Not fake news  I remember a couple of cases  over the last few years of workers  going down drains to clear them and being overwhelmed by "fumes"

Confined space work is due to many causes including H2S, carbon monoxide, electrocution and others.  I do not see definitive evidence in your link that this as H2S or being an "annual event", and therefore your post is fake news.

Edited by torrzent