ADSL cable 4 wires inside condo ?

Pattaya46

Hi,

Because some units in highest floors of my condo have irregular quality ADSL/VSDL, the TOT technicians recommended to our condo to use a different cable to connect the ADSL/VDSL provider cabinet at ground-floor to the units.

• Until now it was mainly "standard" phone cable : 2/Cx0.50 mm / 24 AWG
  • They recommended to use now: 4/Cx0.65 mm / 22 AWG

Ok, I understand that thicker wires may improve the signal / reduce attenuation,

but I fail to understand how the 2 more wires can help or can be used ?? :unsure:

Q1: Anyone who know and could explain please ?

Also I always heard that twisted cable was far better for Internet?

Q2: Does it make a really big difference ?

Thanks.

PS: The new cable is something like this:

Rvvp-300-300V-PVC-Insulated-PVC-Sheathed

phelpsdodge_telephone_wire_4c_22.jpg

Using 4 wires provide more flexibility like the xDSL internet signal being provided over 2 of the 4 wires and say a separate phone line (maybe from a different company) or even another xVDSL signal to be provided over the other 2 wires.   Some people like to have two internet providers.

Plus a 4 wire bundle is just stronger/heavier grade wire than a 2 wire bundle....like where you described the 4 wire being heavier 22AWG wire compared to the small 2 wires 24AWG.   The heavier gauge wire will also help reduce xDSL signal loss/attenuation a little.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Using 4 wires provide more flexibility //   Some people like to have two internet providers. //

Plus a 4 wire bundle is just stronger/heavier grade wire than a 2 wire bundle.... //

Thanks for your reply

Yes I understand the use of the second pair that way, but I doubt a lot it would be needed in my condo. Who nowadays still ask for a phone line? And probably no-one needing 2 xDSL.

For the second part, true, but same result could be achieved with a 2x0.65 cable.

Still seems a strange recommendation by TOT to me (??)

They are just suggesting that you use thicker copper for the reasons of quality that you gave. The second pair wont be needed in nearly all instances (I dont know anyone with a landline in a residential condo), and it's probably just that the 4-core cable they suggest is readily available and quite cheap. That sort of cable is widely used for remote door controls and sensors and that sort of thing, and you quite possibly already have some in use in your building for that purpose: we do in mine.

Otherwise Cat3 or Cat5 or Cat6 would be more suitable, though surely more expensive and probably overkill, and if your building is large you may not be able to fit all you need into the available technical spaces.

What you dont want to use is that awful thin phone wire that they often have here. It's truly terrible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Also I always heard that twisted cable was far better for Internet?

Q2: Does it make a really big difference ?

Twisted pair wires make a huge difference in noise reduction and should be uses for DSL signal. Not sure though if it matter much in the short length that is used in a condo building, but it definitely makes a big difference over 500 - 1000 meter between the Dslam and the building.

Vdsl should be able to provide a usable signal  strength over a distance of 2km, but in Thailand 1km is about the limit.

Wonder why?