UK passport renewal from Thailand

As it offered the visa evidence as an alternative to address evidence I just showed my retirement visa. I also showed a copy of my True bill, but they didn't seem interested in it. I had no problem and the passport took two weeks. This was last November. Not sure why they need an address since they will not post the passport to you.

Since I have not read all posts, this may have already been said.

i did mine last year in Bangkok. The translation of the Yellow book is perfectly acceptable even though it is not dated. Only if you use utility bills do they need to be dated. 

All I can say is I am glad that we are no longer British.

Passport renewal for us heathens is to simply bring in our old passport pay the fee fill out a form and wait a week.

There is not even any courier fee as it comes in the diplomatic pouch.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 1:47 PM, bkkfree said:

Hi...what if you do not have one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency ?

I was in the same boat before Christmas, with no document showing my current address, having moved house on the 1st Dec. last year.  I can only try to help if you are in Chiang Mai.

I went to Immigration first to change my address, formally, TM30. When that was complete I then completed a Certificate of Residence form which was written in Thai.

At the top of the Thapae Road, just before the bridge across the R. Ping, on the left hand side of the road is a small shop that certifies and translates documents. 200฿.

The Cert. of Res. doesn't appear to have a number but I downloaded one off the internet. It was called simply, "Application for Certificate of Residence for Thailand" It had a gold coloured crest centre top of the form.

These are my check off items.I'm sorry, but I haven't time to give you a full and itemised list that you need to think through. But I was impressed with the UK Passport service - they were courteous, helpful and efficient.

CHECK BANGKOK MAP for location

Send email to Agency   [email protected]

Check Flights, guesthouses

Check Passport agency whereabouts and how to get there.

(BTS OSOKE & NANA) Check BKK map for address. Photocopy relevant portion

UK Visa Application Centre

The Trendy Office Building

Sukhumvit Soi 13

Klongtoey-Nua

Wattana BKK 10110

Residence letter from Immigration: (While there, check out Visa stamp transfer when you finally get your passport)

Take House Rental contract with Cert of Res.

Bangkok bank letter and change of address

Photocopy all pages of old passport in colour

Supporting documents. Thai license and Res. Letter

Two photos from Chang Klan road. UKPA rules copy

Print ‘Paying by visa’ form

Immigration – transfer stamps

Birth certificate + colour copy

Check holidays and closure dates

Passport Adult + fee = 106.01 (?) pounds Barclays visa

Complete a Passport  rough/Draft form and then complete proper form in black ink

Colour copies of all supporting docs

Some of these you may not need, but I took everything. I thought it was all very easy. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Any utility bill is accepted as proof of address, AIS included, if lawfully translated and certified. Trendy building ground floor (at the back to the right) have a law firm that deal with all translations and certifications, notaries etc. ...price is reasonable...

I have just renewed a passport as my old one was full. Regarding proof of address, I had a letter from HSBC in the UK where I still keep my main account with an address in Thailand and that was accepted without a problem. As for the fee, it is 114.01 for a 48-pager, which includes the courier fee to/from the UK. You have to collect the new passport at the building in Bangkok so they can cut the corner of the old one (which you retain for ID purposes as demanded by local laws while your application is in progress), plus they give you a form to complete for the Immigration people re transferring your visa from the old passport to the new.

On that subject, my own experience before was that I just showed both passports at the airport when I left and the IO didn't bat an eyelid. I don't remember what happened when I returned, but I imagine it must have been the same. As usual though it is up to the discretion of the IO if he wants to be fussy or not. I'll be exiting at the end of May for a couple of days and will be making only one entry back before I need to get a new visa anyway, so hopefully the IO won't throw a wobbly and only give me 30 days and force me into a long trip to an Immigration office (I live in the sticks).

You'll need to make an appointment by email to submit the application, and another thread revealed that time-keeping on that is flexible. It is Thailand, after all. Don't go on a Monday. I had to queue for 20 minutes just to get into the lift, but when I collected on a Wednesday there was no wait at all. They will tell you it will take four weeks and it will actually take two, with DHL texting you when the new passport is on its way from the UK.

All I can say is I am glad that we are no longer British.

Passport renewal for us heathens is to simply bring in our old passport pay the fee fill out a form and wait a week.

There is not even any courier fee as it comes in the diplomatic pouch.
Which country?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

You need to read Table A again

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

At the top of the list under "Name and Address and/or residency evidence" is 

"visa or resident permit or colour photocopy"

The fact is that HMPO are not really interested in your address because they are not posting the passport to it. The endorsement by the Thai authorities is sufficient evidence for them that your passport has been inspected on entry to Thailand and that you have an address known to them. On that basis I'm sure that my wife, as a dual national and therefore legally resident in Thailand had no need of anything other than her Tabien baan, and I would be surprised if they didn't accept your yellow book. But in truth, all you need is the current extension stamp in your passport, assuming you have that.

I have tried submitting applications for friends using the yellow book. If it was issued more than a year ago, it was rejected by VFS

3 hours ago, anfh said:

Since I have not read all posts, this may have already been said.

i did mine last year in Bangkok. The translation of the Yellow book is perfectly acceptable even though it is not dated. Only if you use utility bills do they need to be dated. 

Would appear to be up to the VFS individual whether to accept a yellow book more than a year since being issued or not. Like everything here in Thailand. nothing is cut and dreid.

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I have tried submitting applications for friends using the yellow book. If it was issued more than a year ago, it was rejected by VFS

I assume you mean it was rejected by VFS and not HMPO, but if you can't get the application past VFS it amounts to much the same thing. But the OP can spare himself the bother of finding out by adopting my other suggestion, which just requires the current extension stamp or visa in his passport, unless he's staying in Thailand under some very unusual circumstances. He also spares himself the expense of getting a translation.

On 01/04/2018 at 3:38 PM, OJAS said:

It is not possible to phone them direct. Instead you'll need to call the Passport Adviceline back on the UK on +44 300 222 0000 between 8am and 8pm UK time Monday to Friday, or 9am to 5.30pm UK time Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.

Look at the brit emb website ALL the info is on there

I have dual citizenship, so I didn't use the British passport for a visa here or to enter the country. I am originally British, so I like having the option of that passport for easy entry into the UK. Eventually it will expire, what is needed to renew it? Thanks.

On 4/1/2018 at 2:51 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I used an agent here in Pattaya, they do all the legwork, literally. I took in 2 photo's, they copied my driving licence (for the address) I signed the forms and went home until I got a call a couple weeks later telling me to go to the agents office to pick it up, an absolute doddle :biggrin: And well worth the additional 5 k Baht to not to have to faff about making appointments at Trendy House/ building whatever, and having to travel to BKK twice.   

recently used an agent based in Pattaya to renew my passport but the service was a bit like the curates egg, good in parts. original contact was good and fine about letting me know that my documents had been received by the agent (perhaps Because he wanted to be paid) but when it came to returning the passport e mail came from Trendy saying passport was ready for collection which i forwarded to the agent with a note asking him to let me know the tracking No when he posted it to me,waited till the evening of the day that he was posting it to me and as had heard nothing rang him, told that passport had been posted that morning and could not email the tracking No as computers had already been switched off but sent a text instead, not much good having a tracking number if you dont give it to your customer

8 minutes ago, mikecha said:

I would wait if u can cos nest year they issueing a new uk passport   so not eu 

and the rules will change as Always 

you think so? i think it will be pretty much the same process. bloody storms arrived. got to get stuff from outside

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The cost is increasing soon.

The cost has just increased. That was the new price I quoted in my OP.

See below:

You have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £23.01

Passport type                             Passport fee     Cost with courier fee

Adult standard 34-page passport      £95.50                   £118.51

Adult jumbo 50-page passport          £105.50                 £128.51

You only need proof of address for here. It does not have to be from a government agency.

People used utility bills, Thai drivers license and etc. If in Thai it has to be translated by an agency that can do a stamp on it.

Is a condo contract ok?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

After reading this Thread I am a bit concerned about renewing my passport soon.I am not sure about proof of address in Thailand my visa runs out on the 23 of Apr I have already extended it.I don't have any utility bills in Thailand or any work permits or anything like that.All I have is condo Rental agreements the one I am on at the moment runs out on the 1st of may.

I was planning on going to Cambodia on the 23 to get 30 days then go to trendy on 24 to apply for a new passport.But now I have some concerns.

Is a rental agreement ok and if it is what about if it runs out a week after the application date?

On another website that provides a link to the UK gov site, it says that a visa is ok for proof of residency.But on the website, it says that a visa stamp is not.Is that correct?

On the gov site, it doesn't say that a condo rental agreement is ok so if it's not and a visa exempt stamp is not proof(and I don't see how it could be) that means my plan to go to Cambodia for 30 days is no good.

My apologies to the op for high jacking your thread but I didn't want to start a new thread on renewing British passports.

When does your passport expire?

Presumably at least 6 months if you are considering traveling to Cambodia.

Personally, I would be concerned about achieving renewal within a 30 day timeframe.

The condo rental should be adequate if you write a covering letter explaining why that is all you have. Liverpool have shown themselves to be helpful in these situations.

When does your passport expire?   Presumably at least 6 months if you are considering traveling to Cambodia.

Personally, I would be concerned about achieving renewal within a 30-day timeframe.

The condo rental should be adequate if you write a covering letter explaining why that is all you have. Liverpool have shown themselves to be helpful in these situations.

My passport expires in 2024 but it is nearly full up. I was concerned before about getting it back within 30 days but I was told before you keep your old one why you wait for your new one so I can still get an extension.

I did wonder before if I could get it extended straight away when I got back from Cambodia, giving me just under 60 days to get a new passport but I was told you get to keep your old passport while you apply.And I don't think immigration will let you extended it the day after you get back.

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

slightly off topic but am i the only person confused with the brexit 'back to blue' passport thing. mine was definately black, not blue. not dark blue. black

I'd agree with you on that. I assumed I was more decrepit than I'd imagined and my memory was playing tricks on me.

However, googling does produce different results:

image.png.0f301d3e03d1787de2339e8939b5a45f.png      image.png.e7611c19b300b93d30c4d17cdf80a44b.png

BTW, I have already emailed HMPO asking if there is a date already decided when the burgundy passports will be replaced by 'blue'.

(It says they will respond within 15 working days, so don't get too excited yet.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'd agree with you on that. I assumed I was more decrepit than I'd imagined and my memory was playing tricks on me.

image.png.0f301d3e03d1787de2339e8939b5a45f.png      image.png.e7611c19b300b93d30c4d17cdf80a44b.png

BTW, I have already emailed HMPO asking if there is a date already decided when the burgundy passports will be replaced by 'blue'.

(It says they will respond within 15 working days, so don't get too excited yet.)

mine was like the one on the left

20 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

You need to read Table A again

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

At the top of the list under "Name and Address and/or residency evidence" is 

"visa or resident permit or colour photocopy"

The fact is that HMPO are not really interested in your address because they are not posting the passport to it. The endorsement by the Thai authorities is sufficient evidence for them that your passport has been inspected on entry to Thailand and that you have an address known to them. On that basis I'm sure that my wife, as a dual national and therefore legally resident in Thailand had no need of anything other than her Tabien baan, and I would be surprised if they didn't accept your yellow book. But in truth, all you need is the current extension stamp in your passport, assuming you have that.

This question pops up quite a lot and as Eff1n2ret states VFS and the Passport Office should accept the current visa / extension, in reality they are more interested that you are legally in Thailand than where you actually live.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

To avoid over excitement Blue passports will be issued from October 2019. That is when the contract for the supplier is renewed. It will be the same style as now but blue with no mention of Europe.

Edited by pontious
add text
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pontious said:

To avoid over excitement Blue passports will be issued from October 2019. That is when the contract for the supplier is renewed.

Thanks for that info, but will they have some stock to use up as well, irrespective of the contract renewal date?

Also, what about Brexit in March 2019? Are you saying they will still be issuing passports with the EU on until October 2019, or is there a more complicated answer about using up the burgundy passport stock, but somehow without the EU at the top?

Sorry to be pedantic, but your reply has raised more questions (to my mind anyway)!

26 minutes ago, Mattd said:

This question pops up quite a lot and as Eff1n2ret states VFS and the Passport Office should accept the current visa / extension, in reality they are more interested that you are legally in Thailand than where you actually live.

I don't know why the VFS, effectively a branch of the UK government, would be interested or care if you were legally in Thailand or not. That is the Thai government's concern, not the UK's.

Edited by Bangkok Barry