Robbed At Gunpoint By Corrupt Cop?

Mr.StickyRice

9am a young man enters our house and flashes a gun and says he is "police". He says "you sell yabaa?" (of course we dont) and then proceeds to round up all my roomates (including 2 women, 1 of them pregrant) into a bedroom. He starts to go through our things and finds a purse with some money ~800Baht and then pockets it and walks calmly out.

We were so shocked and upset that it took us a few hours to get the nerve together to visit the Tourist Police.

They were very helpful and assured us that guy was not a cop (or not on duty) and that they would do their best to find him. They came and took photos of our house/rooms and gave us a police report and phone number should he ever show up again.

Be careful out there...

That's a wild story! I highly doubt that it was a real cop. Even the most corrupt and desperate of them could find a better way to make 800 baht (or 8000 baht). Probably just a local criminal who had been scoping out a house full of farang. What balls.

• 2 months later...

I don’t know if this is related to the post above but Thai TV news showed a cop who had been arrested in Chiangmai today.

The news said this cop had caught farangs in Chiangmai and claimed they had drugs. He then asked for money. The amount of $800,000? was mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Listen, anywhere you go in this world you need to travel with a dose of suspicion or cynicism: I lived in New York City my entire life, born and raised, and nothing ever happened to me like that. I worked and hung-out in some very dangerous neighborhoods- nothing ever happened to me. I was on a business trip to Arizona and while staying in a luxory golf resort I was mugged as I walked from the sports bar to the main lobby(they were two separate buildings). We humans are not angels- we are primates, and the most debased form of animal life in the phylum. Not everyone is bad, for sure; there are very nice people in the world- but there are predators amongst us. It pays to remember this.

9am a young man enters our house and flashes a gun and says he is "police". He says "you sell yabaa?" (of course we dont) and then proceeds to round up all my roomates (including 2 women, 1 of them pregrant) into a bedroom. He starts to go through our things and finds a purse with some money ~800Baht and then pockets it and walks calmly out.

We were so shocked and upset that it took us a few hours to get the nerve together to visit the Tourist Police.

They were very helpful and assured us that guy was not a cop (or not on duty) and that they would do their best to find him. They came and took photos of our house/rooms and gave us a police report and phone number should he ever show up again.

Be careful out there...

:o