Best Fish And Chips In Bangkok?

english_farang_lady

Longing for some real English style fish and chips with malt vinegar, pickled onion and lots of chips! Where is best in Bkk? Previous thread had lots of recs for Oh My Cod so guessing this is also a great fish and chipper.

What do you say guys?

I've been to Oh My Cod a couple of times based on recommendations here. Thought that it was excellent but I'm no expert

Longing for some real English style fish and chips with malt vinegar, pickled onion and lots of chips! Where is best in Bkk? Previous thread had lots of recs for Oh My Cod so guessing this is also a great fish and chipper.

What do you say guys?

I've been to Oh My Cod a couple of times based on recommendations here. Thought that it was excellent but I'm no expert

I only had fish and chips at Oh My Cod one time, great Mushy Peas. Usually go for the pies. They were very good. Says on the website they are a member of the fish and chip federation or something in the UK.

With regard to the Offshore... it is disgusting in there. Dirty, very poor food...(last time i went the batter was almost black) never again. I think they rely on drunks from soi cowboy for their trade.

Hope this helps

Edited by Muppetbkk

the chippy next to the offshore failed the taxexile test miserably , this was some years ago so things may have changed , but i doubt it , the place was too reminiscent of the typical cypriot run backstreet northern chippy with greasy food and decrepit customers , heads down over their plates as they lined their stomachs before a piss filled night and 20 second knee trembler at the cowboy.

stained raincoats , daily mirrors , cloth caps and woodbines sprung to mind as i forced the oily fish and barely turgid chips into my stomach.

for ex bolton council employees or benefit scroungers only. for the terminally homesick i would recommend a visit on a rainy evening.

i once had fish and chips at the seafood restaurant on soi 24 , it was excellent but very very pricey.

there is a newish food court in the emporium , not the thai food court , but the one near to burger king , with a variety of "upmarket" outlets. there is a seafood outlet there that serves a very passable fish and chips for 199baht , using seabass.

never been to oh my cod , where is it ?

Edited by taxexile

What do you say guys?

I only had fish and chips there one time. Usually go for the pies. They were very good. Says on the website they are a member of the fish and chip federation or something in the UK.

With regard to the Offshore... it is disgusting in there. Dirty, very poor food...(last time i went the batter was almost black) never again. I think they rely on drunks from soi cowboy for their trade.

Hope this helps

This is the link to the "Oh My Cod" cafe which came out tops in the best british restaurant. It is a map showing where they are. The website says they belong to the UK regulatory board for fish and chip shops.

http://www.fishandchipsbangkok.com/contact.php

We haven't been yet, but it was strongly rec'ded by many on the where to get the best brit breakfast in bangkok.

Thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply, much appreciated.

EFL

ye gotta look at the fish...cod is usually frozen whereas the local snapper or other fish is fresh...there was a place near soi cowboy that did good fish an' chips using local fish...had the appearance of an engish chip shop..

the chips should be OK if the fryer knows his arse from a hole inna ground...mind, decent potatoes are sumtimes hard to come by...

Sorry guys, I cant believe this question, asking for fish and chips in Thailand? Give me a break. What about german sausages, french baguette or greek meza? This is Thailand, can't you really accept thai kitchen with all it's varieties? Have you tried it? Fish and chips is soooo cheap and unhealthy. I know all my brit friends love it, but why?

Ok, I'm fat myself so I cannot be an example. I don't want to criticise as I have many UK friends, just wonder why one would like fish and chips in BKK

Joe

ye gotta look at the fish...cod is usually frozen whereas the local snapper or other fish is fresh...

Oh My Cod offers both imported Cod and local red snapper prepared as fish & chips.

Also, for those unfamilar with embedded links when you see text underlined in a post that means the URL is embedded so just click on the underlined text to be taken to the linked website. Example: Oh My Cod Menu

I know it's not Bangkok, and I am not actually a thourough bred Englishman, but the best Cod & Chips I have had in the country was in Surin, in the Farang Connection. I remember Martin, he's the owner, saying to one customer who asked if the fish and chips was the same as you get in London, he replied " I blody hope not" :o

Sorry guys, I cant believe this question, asking for fish and chips in Thailand? Give me a break. What about german sausages, french baguette or greek meza? This is Thailand, can't you really accept thai kitchen with all it's varieties? Have you tried it? Fish and chips is soooo cheap and unhealthy. I know all my brit friends love it, but why?

Ok, I'm fat myself so I cannot be an example. I don't want to criticise as I have many UK friends, just wonder why one would like fish and chips in BKK

Joe

well speaking for myself and someone who has been here just over 5 years, I love Thai food as much as the next man, but now and again you cant beat a taste of home. I can accept the Thai kitchen and eat Thai food 90% of the time, but whats really wrong with a bit of variety and a reminder of home now and again? Yes it is not the healthiest of foods, but now and again wont do too much damage. A lot of Thai food isnt exactly the healthiest of foods either and seeing as this is the western food in Thailand forum, we are hardly going to be discussing where to find the best Tom yum goong in here anyway.

Edited by Tingnongnoi

I had an English friend a few years ago who said he liked OffShore on Sukhumvit Soi 23, near Soi Cowboy. He used to say their fish and chips was better than he got in London!

No Offshore is terrible. They come from the Fish and Chip shop next door that is part of the same business and you just have to look at the oil to see how bad it is. An I have tried, many times, usually assisted by alcohol.. :o

The best, by far is actually The Ship Inn about 20 yards further towards Soi Cowboy. I take visitors there who always comment that it is better than blighty!

Joe

This is the kind of attitude which always annoys me. I can agree with this kind of thing when directed towards tourists - if you're in Thailand for 2 weeks you have a 2 week slot in which to enjoy the best Thai food in the world and you would be silly to waste your time with food you can easily get back home.

But for expats, why should we all eat Thai food all day, every day? When you're back home, do you only eat the cuisine of the country you live in? I know I didn't when I was in the UK, eating a wide variety of food from all over the world was very enjoyable. So I do the same here. Thai food comprises approximately 75% of the food I eat, the rest of the time I like to try the other types of food on offer in Bangkok, some of which is very good. And if I can make my way down to Khao San Road I think I'll give Oh My Cod a try as it looks pretty good.

Best fish and chips I've had so far is probably at the Barbican on Soi Thaniya. Outback Steak House in the Siam Discovery Centre is also good. None up tp the quality that can be found in the UK though...

Originall coming from the East coast of England I obviously appreciate good fish and chips. With the exception of Whites restaurents in London then the standard of preparation, selection of fish and cooking is very poor in non-coastal areas. As a consequence one becomes used to a certain standard and hence if you are brought up in an area of poor quality both in fis and it's frying you will naturally be non-the wiser.

Therefore what one consider's best fish and chips will depend upon what you are used to. However coming from the only part of England where fish and chip frying was once done with pride, before foreigners from other towns and countries came to the coast fro freah air that i, and after several inspections and tastings at local NKK restaurants iut is a pity that there is nothing like "The Trade Descri[tions act" here - if there were than almost all of the outlets perporting to sell real fish and chips, would be prosecuted as nearly all of them are absolutely atrocious being either not serving North Sea Cod/Haddock ( obviosuly to import costs money but there again don't ask for fish and chips unless you want the real thing). Alternatively the batter mix is a figment of a cooks imagination, the chips are either used as blotting paper or as bad as those found in France or the US best consigned to the garbage bin !

Obviously malt vinegar is a must - the brown stuff that is for our foreign readers,

So if you want real North Sea Cod in batter, together with proper chips as they should be together with brown malt vinegar then I'm afraid the only place in BKK is the British Club in Soi Silom 18 - but of course you will need to be a member !

But if you are here long term and appreciate the best it would be worth you joining.

However if that is not your cup of tea and you don't mind second rate stuff or have just been brought up with fish that is not fresh with most of the bones still left in a fillet!, batter that reasembles wall filler, white vinegar than you have 2 choices - go to some of the local so called "Real British food establishments" or catch a plane back to the UK and go to Hull in East Yorkshire. ( And no I am not from Grimsby either !!)

regards,

Dave

Joe

You are right, who could really miiss fish n ships ?! ;-)

But you are wrong, after 10 years in Thailand it could happen you miss some food from your previous home.

Originall coming from the East coast of England I obviously appreciate good fish and chips. With the exception of Whites restaurents in London then the standard of preparation, selection of fish and cooking is very poor in non-coastal areas. As a consequence one becomes used to a certain standard and hence if you are brought up in an area of poor quality both in fis and it's frying you will naturally be non-the wiser.

Therefore what one consider's best fish and chips will depend upon what you are used to. However coming from the only part of England where fish and chip frying was once done with pride, before foreigners from other towns and countries came to the coast fro freah air that i, and after several inspections and tastings at local NKK restaurants iut is a pity that there is nothing like "The Trade Descri[tions act" here - if there were than almost all of the outlets perporting to sell real fish and chips, would be prosecuted as nearly all of them are absolutely atrocious being either not serving North Sea Cod/Haddock ( obviosuly to import costs money but there again don't ask for fish and chips unless you want the real thing). Alternatively the batter mix is a figment of a cooks imagination, the chips are either used as blotting paper or as bad as those found in France or the US best consigned to the garbage bin !

Obviously malt vinegar is a must - the brown stuff that is for our foreign readers,

So if you want real North Sea Cod in batter, together with proper chips as they should be together with brown malt vinegar then I'm afraid the only place in BKK is the British Club in Soi Silom 18 - but of course you will need to be a member !

But if you are here long term and appreciate the best it would be worth you joining.

However if that is not your cup of tea and you don't mind second rate stuff or have just been brought up with fish that is not fresh with most of the bones still left in a fillet!, batter that reasembles wall filler, white vinegar than you have 2 choices - go to some of the local so called "Real British food establishments" or catch a plane back to the UK and go to Hull in East Yorkshire. ( And no I am not from Grimsby either !!)

regards,

Dave

What the?

I think, sir, you are a snob.

I challenge you to pistols at dawn in the English Club. I find your critique most unamusing and thus feel compelled to defend the honour of the BKK chippie trade

God Save The Queen

regards,

Dave

What the?

I think, sir, you are a snob.

I challenge you to pistols at dawn in the English Club. I find your critique most unamusing and thus feel compelled to defend the honour of the BKK chippie trade

God Save The Queen

I say old chap, whats wrong with upholding that great British tradition of snobbery ( and fish and chips ) ?. Guess I don't need to elaborate on the preference for garden peas then in the higher Echelons of the fish and chip fraternity? OK it will have to be mushy peas at 20 paces or should that be Plaices ?

Three cheers for Queen and country

• 4 weeks later...

Dear english lady, i have 2 mottoes, tomorrow is promised to no one and if you want something done, do it yourself,,here in a village in NE Thai, there is no chance of anything like what you want, full english breakfast or fish and chips,ive never been a lover of english breakfasts, far to many carbs, i have cornflakes with a banana and coconut juice, that sets me up for hours on end... my wife buys fish at the market, does the filleting ect, I make the batter with tempura flour and cook, after fish is done, do the chips crispy light golden brown and softish inside, have malt vinigar and salt local so thats not a problem, mushy peas? buy packets from Tesco Lotus, boil, drain and mash them,

If youve got any batter left over, do some banana,pinapple,any fruit you fancy really, fritters, with some hersheys honey or cherry brandy liquer on them....

Im sorry for getting away from the point abit, where to find good english food ect, and us farangs do yearn for it sometimes, if you cant find satisfation in BKK, have a go yourself, good luck, Lickey,,

Dear english lady, i have 2 mottoes, tomorrow is promised to no one and if you want something done, do it yourself,,here in a village in NE Thai, there is no chance of anything like what you want, full english breakfast or fish and chips,ive never been a lover of english breakfasts, far to many carbs, i have cornflakes with a banana and coconut juice, that sets me up for hours on end... my wife buys fish at the market, does the filleting ect, I make the batter with tempura flour and cook, after fish is done, do the chips crispy light golden brown and softish inside, have malt vinigar and salt local so thats not a problem, mushy peas? buy packets from Tesco Lotus, boil, drain and mash them,

If youve got any batter left over, do some banana,pinapple,any fruit you fancy really, fritters, with some hersheys honey or cherry brandy liquer on them....

Im sorry for getting away from the point abit, where to find good english food ect, and us farangs do yearn for it sometimes, if you cant find satisfation in BKK, have a go yourself, good luck, Lickey,,

Good post my man.

If you live anywhere around the On Nut area, the small "Toby Jug" pub (same owner as previous pub on silom by the same name) on Sukhumvit 50 has some ###### fine fish and chips, bit pricey but well worth it.

If you live anywhere around the On Nut area, the small "Toby Jug" pub (same owner as previous pub on silom by the same name) on Sukhumvit 50 has some ###### fine fish and chips, bit pricey but well worth it.

VERY small but a really cool homely atmosphere, and the manager is good for a chat. The pub is actually connected to his house. Definitely worth a looksee IMO.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone.

This is my first ever post on the forum, so I thought I'd use it to some importance.

All of you are wrong.

Not in your restaurant critique's (such being subjective at best and alcohol influenced, while partaking of said vittels, at worst).

I'm referring to your calling the great British dish "Fish and Chips".

Those of us who hail from Blighty will know (though some may have forgotten) that the perfect "fish and chips" is, in fact:

Fish'n'Chips

Or, as a poor relation, you might get away with:

Fish&Chips.

Please note the correct useage of capitalisation for each noun.

On the subject of eating local.

I love Thai food, but why should I not eat what I want to eat, regardless of the country I'm in?

I don't see many (or any) Thai expats in the UK queuing around the block for Fish'n'Chips or Big Mac's in a "When in Rome" manner and I don't hear any criticism levelled at them for eating the type of food that is preferrable to their palate's.

Just a thought.

And one which the food snobs may like to consider. :o

I thought this was a discussion about English food. If it's going to swerve into talking about bar girls, it really belongs in a different forum!!!! :o:D:D

God Save The Queen

Confirmed. Msybe the best in the world.