Unorganised and lazy Thai banks

I had a bit of rant how useless they are on another thread the other day Put the scb  app on new phone. Filled in all the relative  info, keep getting error message. In the end had to go to branch to sort out.  I was told can not do on phone have to come to branch. Why. T. F they don't tell you this when installing the app god knows.  anyway after filling in 7 forms and 3 tellers trying to sort out plus the very helpful security guy who was the only branch member who spoke English . One hour fifteen minutes latter it was sorted.  So with the return drive etc that was morning wasted just to put  a kin app on the phone. 

Edited by Knocker33
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And it's quite easy to set up Bangkok Bank (all Thai banks) internet banking and easy to use. 

I was just stubborn about starting / using internet banking for years and continued to run to the bank continuously, then I had a change of mind and I now have i banking with 2 Thai banks, it's easy to set up and quick and really easy to use. 

As mentioned calling up your past history is super easy and quick then just hit the print button.

but they must be stamped and signed by the bank

4 hours ago, Siameaze said:

I opened a Bangkok Bank account at Chalong Circle Phuket. I just made a B 40000 cash deposit at a CDM near Udon Thani. I was charged for an inter regional transfer! On my statement it doesn't show up as a fee...just a reduced deposit. Not sure what will happen when I try to do an ATM Withdrawal...charged again??

Stone Age.

The fee is a pittance when you consider the cost of bird seed these days, and how much effort it takes to fly 40,000 Baht all the way down to Phuket.  

SNN0517A_124638a-300x246.jpg.e1e12e96fbc694e427d681a35b7ba846.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Thai banks are medieval. For anything possible use foreign banks - I for one am very happy with Citibank. If you need local banking then Thai Military Bank is not charging for inter-provincial money transfers, be it transferring or withdrawing. I understand, that some commercial banks now are adopting to this too as they are losing customers by the hundreds to TMB. 
The other day I read, that the inter-provincial transfer (on normal internet lines with normal security encryption) generates THB 9‘000‘000‘000 and the banks cry foul now. 

Transferring money from Switzerland, irrespective of amount, costs me CHF 5 per transfer (THB 150); the receiving Bangkok Bank cuts another THB 400 - for absolutely no reason. 

So bank whenever possible NOT with a Thai bank, bunch of highway robbers of the most inefficient and impolite kind. Had to put a counter kid right the other day at Lotus Nong Khai who was not willing to give me change for 10 x THB 1‘000 notes - as this service was only for customers of their bank branch. Showing her my bank book and telling her at the same time, that Chartsiri Sophonpanich (the bank‘s president) will be delighted to hear about this. Once I started to take pictures she shelled out crispy uncirculated change and smiled mumbling something of „sorry, did not know you‘re personal friends with the president“. Well, I never met the fellow but it did the trick as she did not know that! 

Why didn't you tell the cashier that you were a customer before you put her in her place?

That must have been very unpleasant for her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Is this an excuse for poor service in whatever country it occurs? Why should Thai people have to put up with poor customer service? Just because they don't know any better? Sorry, my friend, that won't fly (besides being insulting to Thai people).

You think it's poor service but banks don't, you see. You opened your account w/ a particular branch and that branch is responsible for your records. That's organized. Nor do most Thais--it's the way things are. It was nice of a different branch to cough up 6 months of your banking records, when you think about it.

Not in the least insulting to Thais but merely descriptive without being judgmental; it's you and the OP who are making all the (negative) judgments and name-calling--lazy, unorganized, stupid, poor service.

6 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

You think it's poor service but banks don't, you see. You opened your account w/ a particular branch and that branch is responsible for your records. That's organized. Nor do most Thais--it's the way things are. It was nice of a different branch to cough up 6 months of your banking records, when you think about it.

Not in the least insulting to Thais but merely descriptive without being judgmental; it's you and the OP who are making all the (negative) judgments and name-calling--lazy, unorganized, stupid, poor service.

It just goes to show that you do not know what you are talking about and all you are interested in is passing insults and flaming because it is my Thai wife who is the one who is jumping up and down so I suggest that you go away and learn how to show decency instead of being a know all that knows nothing except how to pass judgemental insults at people.

1 hour ago, Knocker33 said:

I had a bit of rant how useless they are on another thread the other day Put the scb  app on new phone. Filled in all the relative  info, keep getting error message. In the end had to go to branch to sort out.  I was told can not do on phone have to come to branch. Why. T. F they don't tell you this when installing the app god knows.  anyway after filling in 7 forms and 3 tellers trying to sort out plus the very helpful security guy who was the only branch member who spoke English . One hour fifteen minutes latter it was sorted.  So with the return drive etc that was morning wasted just to put  a kin app on the phone. 

Same with Bangkok Bank. Can't do the initial setup unless go into the bank...then fill out a bunch of paperwork...then wait a week for a snail mail temporary password.

Bunch of BS...but very convenient once the jumping thru flaming hoops is accomplished. 

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Same with Bangkok Bank. Can't do the initial setup unless go into the bank...then fill out a bunch of paperwork...then wait a week for a snail mail temporary password.

Bunch of BS...but very convenient once the jumping thru flaming hoops is accomplished. 

I just came back from my Bangkok Bank. Now I can use my BB account and PayPal. But I must have been there at least five times. I had to point out that they had used my middle name as my last name and my old passport number.

Then countless phone calls and I had a good English speaking woman on the phone. Received my password I'd never received to connect PayPal and all seems to be fine now.

Here's a little advice for those who're still using their Visa card, which works in all countries, perhaps not in North Korea.

Since a few weeks, I've noticed that the ATM suggests that I'm going for a new card ( for free). But after the chat with the one banker, I'll keep my card and won't take the new Be first card.

The guy told me that it's a Chinese card, I've got no idea if the Chinese have taken over this bank, but everything is possible.

Could somebody shed some light on this, please? 

Skeptik, which setup? For an online account? 

Edited by jenny2017

25 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It just goes to show that you do not know what you are talking about and all you are interested in is passing insults and flaming because it is my Thai wife who is the one who is jumping up and down so I suggest that you go away and learn how to show decency instead of being a know all that knows nothing except how to pass judgemental insults at people.

Please, guys, stay calm. Life's too short. 

48 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I just told you the facts of the matter, pal. Just standard banking practice here. Sorry you just learned about them and think they're all stupid and stuff.

Nor did I insult anyone or in the least flame your Thai wife but merely suggested, logically, as did another poster, that she get an account at a branch closer by, after reviewing its policies. That's what I did when I moved. I really like my local Bangkok Bank branch, too, nice helpful ladies there. Love they way they fill out the paperwork for me and all I have to do is sign. And they did call over to a larger branch and got a USD cashier's check once for me. Cards have always worked, replaced one promptly when an ATM ate one, and so on. No problems, man.

And I said most Thais. Of course there can be exceptions, especially if a farang husband is pointing the way. :smile:

Edited by JSixpack

32 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Skeptik, which setup? For an online account? 

Was just referring to setting up Bangkok Bank mbanking...to get the online banking and app to work. Couldn't just set it up online even tho had an account for years. Had to physically go in to a branch, then wait a week for my access initial code.

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Why not use internet banking to print the statements ?

I actually did a quick check and my bank internet banking also only goes back 6 months.

Strange when financial institutions often want to go back a full year.

This talk of Thai banks forcing you to go to your home branch is not confined to just Thailand

In another life I lived and worked on Long Island in New York.  My company used Chemical Bank so I opened an account near my office.  Eventually the company moved several towns closer to NYC but when I wanted to cash my company issued pay checks, I could only cash them at my Chemical Bank "home branch" .  What galled me most was that Chemical Bank had an advertising campaign that touted:

Chemical Bank on Long Island, we have more branches than McDonald's 

A couple of years back, the branch where I opened my first Thai bank account closed down. They sent me a letter explaining where my new branch was and details of my new account. Yes, they had closed the old account and issued me with a new number and book.. Now ordinarily this wouldn't have been a problem, but about a ten days earlier I had submitted my marriage extension application using the old account details. An account that no longer existed.  

In fairness the bank did give me a letter for immigration explaining this in detail and there were no problems with the extension. For a while though it was squeaky bum time.

So, I strongly recommend that if anyone needs to open a new bank account for immigration purposes then go to one of the big branches, not a little one that may be close to your home like I did. 

2 hours ago, lagavulin1 said:

But you do need to go to your branch if you lose or damage your card (BkkB)

Yes...correct but that was not the question/statement. It related purely purely to changing a PIN number.... do try and keep up old chap!

Nice whisky by the way!

The wife has just arrived home from Bangkok so here is an update of what transpired. My wife's sister and husband picked her up off the bus and they all went to the bank together and my wife's brother-in-law asked why the Khon Kaen branch would not give her 12 months statements as she had requested and the banks reply was that they only give 6 months except from the account holding branch and the wife's brother-in-law said that he wanted to see the manager, so the manager came into see him and he asked the manager why he was not informed about this when he opened 125 bank accounts with them so that he could pay his employees and told the manager that as his employees are located in various areas of northeast Thailand and they need statements like this case they would have to travel to this branch to get them and the manager said that is correct so the wife's brother-in-law told the manager that none of his employees will be traveling to this bank branch for anything as of now these 125 accounts plus our 2 business accounts are going to be closed and we will use a bank that believes in customer service and the manager told the wife's brother-in-law that there was no need to close the accounts because they will be able to work something out but the wife's brother-in-law told him it was too late and that the service from this bank was out of touch with the people and that the stupid part about your service is that my sister-in-law and her husband were going to use Krungsri bank at Khon Kaen for the finance and now the bank has lost them as a customer as well. The manager asked if the statements were for the financing and the wife said it was and the manager said that the person at Khon Kaen should have printed the 12 months statements and placed them in the application file because it was an inbank transaction. He promised the wife's brother-in-law that this would never happen again and he did not answer the manager, so now the wife has the statements that we needed plus she now has a new bank account at SCB along with 125 others for their pays to go into plus 2 new SCB business accounts and all the money will be transferred from the Krungsri bank to the SCB bank on Monday. The wife did not come home by bus her brother-in-law put her on a plane home. So they can supply service if they are forced to.

As for you JSixpack calling a person a juvenile is an insult but you cannot accept that as a fact and that is what you did in your first post on this thread. So thank you for being man enough to admit that you did insult me and thank you for the apology.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The wife has just arrived home from Bangkok so here is an update of what transpired. My wife's sister and husband picked her up off the bus and they all went to the bank together and my wife's brother-in-law asked why the Khon Kaen branch would not give her 12 months statements as she had requested and the banks reply was that they only give 6 months except from the account holding branch and the wife's brother-in-law said that he wanted to see the manager, so the manager came into see him and he asked the manager why he was not informed about this when he opened 125 bank accounts with them so that he could pay his employees and told the manager that as his employees are located in various areas of northeast Thailand and they need statements like this case they would have to travel to this branch to get them and the manager said that is correct so the wife's brother-in-law told the manager that none of his employees will be traveling to this bank branch for anything as of now these 125 accounts plus our 2 business accounts are going to be closed and we will use a bank that believes in customer service and the manager told the wife's brother-in-law that there was no need to close the accounts because they will be able to work something out but the wife's brother-in-law told him it was too late and that the service from this bank was out of touch with the people and that the stupid part about your service is that my sister-in-law and her husband were going to use Krungsri bank at Khon Kaen for the finance and now the bank has lost them as a customer as well. The manager asked if the statements were for the financing and the wife said it was and the manager said that the person at Khon Kaen should have printed the 12 months statements and placed them in the application file because it was an inbank transaction. He promised the wife's brother-in-law that this would never happen again and he did not answer the manager, so now the wife has the statements that we needed plus she now has a new bank account at SCB along with 125 others for their pays to go into plus 2 new SCB business accounts and all the money will be transferred from the Krungsri bank to the SCB bank on Monday. The wife did not come home by bus her brother-in-law put her on a plane home. So they can supply service if they are forced to.

As for you JSixpack calling a person a juvenile is an insult but you cannot accept that as a fact and that is what you did in your first post on this thread. So thank you for being man enough to admit that you did insult me and thank you for the apology.

No more insults then, cool. 

On 4/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, Knocker33 said:

Is that you in the Avatar, Mademoiselle?:passifier: 

They can indeed do things if they want to. I needed a new passbook and went to a Kasikorn branch at Pratunam to do it. They told me I had to go to my own branch at Silom, but there wasn't time to do it before they closed that day and I would have spent half the next day coming back into the city to do it. So I asked to see the manager, and after arguing for a while he did what i needed. It is in any bank's Code of Conduct, in any country, to say NO as a first response.