Unorganised and lazy Thai banks

We are in the process of buying a new home and my wife has obtained all the documents that are needed except the she needs to have statements for the previous 12 months from her bank account so we visited the wife's bank and ask for a print out of statements for the previous 12 months for her account but the bank would only give her statements for the previous 6 months because it is not her branch so she rang the banks call centre as was told that if she wanted statements for the previous 12 months then she would have to go to the branch of the bank that holds her account as they will only issue statements for 6 months from any other branch. To me this is just plain stupidity because the girl at the branch where we were had brought up my wife's bank account on the computer which had a full history of all transactions but would only print out for the previous 6 months. Now my wife has to travel from Khon Kaen to Bangkok for the bank statements. Has anybody else faced this problem

Welcome to the Kingdom of Thai Banking.  For some things you must go to the branch that issued your account....call it outdated, call it whatever, but that's just the way Thai banking is.    Every one of the wife's and my Thai bank accounts at three different banks (Bangkok Bank, Krungsri, and KrungThai) only offer 6 months transaction history on their ibanking.   Just the way it is for the Thai banks I've interfaced with over the years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

After this over, change banks 

But from what I have been told most Thai banks are the same and if you want more than statements for the previous 6 months then you must apply at your branch of your bank

51 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Yes the banks here are rediculous 

Incompetent staff ect ect

They're no where near 4 yet

So I guess if I wanted to change my card pin number I would have to go to home branch ?

no.... you can do that at one of the ATMs for that bank.

I've had the same experience here. 

Honestly, I try to avoid going to the bank whenever possible. It's a major time suck... most times at least an hour wait. 

Despite all this technology at their fingertips and people's addiction to their smart phones, banking here is in the stone ages. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

I will add that this should be handled over the phone.

Call a central banking number, talk to a representative who verifies your identity and then sends the statements to your home. 

But instead you have to drive far away. I'm still tethered to my first Kbank location on Wireless Road because my old employer required I open an account there. Yet now I live in Min Buri. 

Sadly that is true.  It isn't really stupid tough for us to understand especially they have the money to do the link up so that everything is accessible like back at home with a push of a button. How far it goes you I have no idea but I try to central everything. Although you can deposit and withdraw money when you need specific items got to go to the branch you open to get it. Happen a number of times etc.. to me. 

Remember this is only the beginning and one example... be prepare if you can?

Edited by thailand49

I opened a Bangkok Bank account at Chalong Circle Phuket. I just made a B 40000 cash deposit at a CDM near Udon Thani. I was charged for an inter regional transfer! On my statement it doesn't show up as a fee...just a reduced deposit. Not sure what will happen when I try to do an ATM Withdrawal...charged again??

Stone Age.

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

I'm still tethered to my first Kbank location on Wireless Road because my old employer required I open an account there. Yet now I live in Min Buri. 

Have you considered/tried to open a new account locally which would solve the issue?

Same for the OP's @Russell17au wife once she has resolved this current issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pungdo said:

Over the last 11 years that I have been here, I have gotten the impression that the bank "Branches" are not branches at all and seem to me to be run more like franchises, it would explain why you can't get some things done anywhere other than the Branch / Franchise you opened the account at.

Interesting point, I've aware of several instance where customers / potential customers have asked for a guideline from the local branch manager and received a 'guideline' which just doesn't sound correct or even sounds unethical.

Then ring the HO call centre and ask for the overall policy on the same point and it clashes with what the branch manager has said.

Next, tell the call center person that their guidance / rules clash with what's been said by the local manager.

Next call center staff transfer the call to a more senior person who is told the same details about clashing advice / rules.

Next senior person says ' oh but you don't understand, the local branch manager is just trying to help you'.

Next customer says 'how can there be clashing policies', and the the senior repeats (deliberately  ignoring / avoiding the customers point), 'oh but you don't understand, the local branch manager is just trying to help you'.

Customer gives up. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, topt said:

Have you considered/tried to open a new account locally which would solve the issue?

Same for the OP's @Russell17au wife once she has resolved this current issue.

The whole stupid part about it is that we are dealing with the same bank that my wife holds her account with but we are dealing with the Khon Kaen branch and her branch is in Minburi and the khon kaem branch wants her statements for the last 12 months and they have that information on the computer in front of them but they will only give her the statements for the last 6 months. It is all being dealt with through the same bank but different branches.

We are seriously thinking about not doing the financing through that bank know but using a different bank so it will be their loss because we have already been approved for a higher financial ceiling through another bank but even they want the statements for the last 12 months but they are a different bank to the wife's account, so the wife is going to Bangkok by bus on Thursday night to be at the bank when it opens then straight on a bus back to Khon Kaen because we want to get all the paperwork in before Songkran, even if it is with the other bank.

Edited by Russell17au

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

The whole stupid part about it is that we are dealing with the same bank that my wife holds her account with but we are dealing with the Khon Kaen branch and her branch is in Minburi and the khon kaem branch wants her statements for the last 12 months and they have that information on the computer in front of them but they will only give her the statements for the last 6 months. It is all being dealt with through the same bank but different branches.

We are seriously thinking about not doing the financing through that bank know but using a different bank so it will be their loss because we have already been approved for a higher financial ceiling through another bank but even they want the statements for the last 12 months but they are a different bank to the wife's account

Yes I understood that and it is unfortunate that neither of you were aware of this kind of issue prior. However my comment was about your wife changing her home branch/bank to a local one in case of a similar situation in the future. Not that it would help you at this time.

2 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes I understood that and it is unfortunate that neither of you were aware of this kind of issue prior. However my comment was about your wife changing her home branch/bank to a local one in case of a similar situation in the future. Not that it would help you at this time.

I understood what you were saying but we cannot close that account until after we get the statements and then that account will be closed and a new account opened in Khon Kaen at a different bank. It is just that when you are dealing with the one bank you expect some help but instead all you get is stupidity.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Welcome to the Kingdom of Thai Banking.  For some things you must go to the branch that issued your account....call it outdated, call it whatever, but that's just the way Thai banking is.    Every one of the wife's and my Thai bank accounts at three different banks (Bangkok Bank, Krungsri, and KrungThai) only offer 6 months transaction history on their ibanking.   Just the way it is for the Thai banks I've interfaced with over the years.

Not just I-banking. I ran into the exact same problem with a similar in-branch request, where they said they could only do 6 months at my home branch, and anything more had to be requested from the main bank HQ and would take days/couple weeks -- for a fee.

9 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Why not use internet banking to print the statements ?

Plus, none of the Thai banks I have savings accounts with actually provide monthly statements -- just an online transaction history that's searchable, but not beyond past 6 months.

5ac3438bd9dea_2018-04-0316_00_25.jpg.71b14e47c9f58e039cd9df0b37f1c880.jpg

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Yes the banks here are rediculous 

Incompetent staff ect ect

They're no where near 4 yet

So I guess if I wanted to change my card pin number I would have to go to home branch ?

You can do that at an ATM. 

Nothing lazy or unorganized here. In fact, it's quite organized: 6 months is the policy and they stuck to it. It's juvenile of course to call a policy you don't like "stupid," but hardly uncommon. Sorry for the inconvenience. Guess you'll need to suck it up w/ various other inconveniences. Now the wife might look into changing banks to one closer to your area. But do check all the policies first.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Plus, none of the Thai banks I have savings accounts with actually provide monthly statements -- just an online transaction history that's searchable, but not beyond past 6 months.

5ac3438bd9dea_2018-04-0316_00_25.jpg.71b14e47c9f58e039cd9df0b37f1c880.jpg

But the branch of the same bank can access the full account record but they will still only supply the records for 6 months even if they are being used within the same bank but at a different branch

• Like 1