Unorganised and lazy Thai banks

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

But the branch of the same bank can access the full account record but they will still only supply the records for 6 months even if they are being used within the same bank but at a different branch

Been there, done that. Get used to it.

1 minute ago, JSixpack said:

Nothing lazy or unorganized here. In fact, it's quite organized: 6 months is the policy and they stuck to it. It's juvenile of course to call a policy you don't like "stupid," but hardly uncommon. Sorry for the inconvenience. Guess you'll need to suck it up w/ various other inconveniences. Now the wife might look into changing banks to one closer to your area. But do check all the policies first.

Thank you for the insult of calling me a juvenile because I think it is stupid that the same bank cannot exchange account information between branches.

Same with many things, lost number plate on motorbike once ( staff bike) tried to  replace it locally and gave up, apparently we have to go 100+km away for some reason,  tried recently to get a new electric meter and getting the refund back for the old one ( why they cant swap one to the other??) well apparently pea  can only pay to one bank and we arent in that bank.

Retarded systems.............must follow the rules, Wife told em their rules are crap, didnt go down well, so now theyll be even more childish.

Same same, but different. I went to my Bangkok bank, because I couldn't pay bills online and I wanted to open up an online account, the website didn't work for unknown reasons. 

I went to the small bank in a shopping mall where I'd opened my account and I couldn't believe it. They'd made my middle name to my last name, like so often before.

He phoned many people, but it didn't help him. He told me that there's no space to put in my last name? When I was asking him if he could delete my middle name and put my last name in, he just looked at me, but finally tried it.

It worked out, but I still can't do online banking. They sent me to the main bank downtown, where they'd promised me that they'd send me a pin in around 6 weeks.

That was about 6 months ago and I really don't want to go there again. 

There's absolutely no reason why the Thai banks could not, or should not, provide their customers with easy access to account histories going back beyond six months -- either online or via printed statements in the branches.

But they simply don't. No need or desire to meet the needs of their customers, as should be pretty apparent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Thank you for the insult of calling me a juvenile because I think it is stupid that the same bank cannot exchange account information between branches.

He/shes the local "all things Thai are perfect forum star" try the ignore  button

• Haha 1

"Unorganised and lazy Thai banks"

Are you really surprised? Prob not...just venting for sure and totally understood. Sad truth of the matter is...fits perfectly in with everything else here. :bah::1zgarz5:

• Haha 1

Try going into a British bank and asking for a print out of even six months of your statements and I doubt you would get any joy.  They would just tell you to get it online which you can also do with Thai banks but that will not be acceptable for a mortgage application, as it is not signed by anyone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Why not just go to Internet banking and print them off online? Or do they need certified bank copies as Immigration does?

Even online you can only get the history for the previous 6 months plus they must have the bank stamped and be signed if they could be printed online but the branch that we are dealing with now at Khon Kaen can download my wife's accounts full history but for some stupid reason they cannot transfer that information to their branch and place it in the records for our financial transaction, it would take a whole 1 minute to copy the recorded history from my wife's account to our account.

12 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Try going into a British bank and asking for a print out of even six months of your statements and I doubt you would get any joy.  They would just tell you to get it online which you can also do with Thai banks but that will not be acceptable for a mortgage application, as it is not signed by anyone.

If you are dealing with the same bank but a different branch they have the access to your full information and it is quite simply just to print off the 12 month history that is needed and attach it to the mortgage application, it would take to whole of 2 minutes and it would be customer service but now we are not going to use that bank for the mortgage application. My wife went to 3 banks and the application has been approved for the full mortgage plus all the banks but we need to give them the statements for the last 12 months, 2 of the banks I can understand that as my wife's account is not with those banks but the bank that has the access to my wife's banking history who are not willing to print it off their own computer and make my wife travel to Bangkok is too stupid for words so now we are going to scrub that back and use one of the other banks for the mortgage

2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Why do you need statements from your bank to buy a house?

Because the house is still under bank finance with the current owner and being a farang my financials are not acceptable only my Thai wife's financials are accepted by the bank.

I have just obtained a credit card ftom my bank and the amount of paperwork I had to sign was equivalent to a giant redwood tree.

I see it as the way things are done. Major banks are in the process of reducing staff levels and I can well understand people abiding by the rules, however outdated they may be.

55 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Same same, but different. I went to my Bangkok bank, because I couldn't pay bills online and I wanted to open up an online account, the website didn't work for unknown reasons. 

I went to the small bank in a shopping mall where I'd opened my account and I couldn't believe it. They'd made my middle name to my last name, like so often before.

He phoned many people, but it didn't help him. He told me that there's no space to put in my last name? When I was asking him if he could delete my middle name and put my last name in, he just looked at me, but finally tried it.

It worked out, but I still can't do online banking. They sent me to the main bank downtown, where they'd promised me that they'd send me a pin in around 6 weeks.

That was about 6 months ago and I really don't want to go there again. 

All my Bangkok Bank accounts have my first,  middle,  and last name.   Also have Bangkok Bank ibanking. 

But there is no shortage of ThaiVisa posts over years of folks who while they could open an account the bank would not authorize ibanking.   And maybe they did indeed mail you your PIN and it just got lost/was undeliverable for some reason.  Ibanking sure makes banking easier....preaching to the choir I know.

With my Australian bank I can get 731 days history online or as for statements I can get online 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, this financial year, last financial year or a custom date range for up to the last 5 years.

Even my Thai wife cannot understand why the bank cannot transfer the information and now she is not happy with the bank so she has said that we will not deal with this bank so they have lost a customer.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

You've mistaken "can't" for "won't." Less convenience for you means more for them. Nor does it matter why. Happiness is learning to say mai pen rai like the Thais do. They've adapted to their culture well. 

Banks in Thailand are like banks in the Western world back in the 1970s and 1980s - privileged and with poor customer services and products. Remember when banks used to shut at 3:00 pm and there was a bank holiday every other week?

The banks had to be pushed kicking and screaming into the 21st century by competition from building societies, credit unions and so on. These offered customer orientated products and services.

Thai banks need a healthy dose of competition, but they will continue to pressure the government and financial institutions against new entries. Why not, they can continue to collude and get away with relatively poor services.

At least the Thai banks offer good exchange rates compared to most western banks...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

You've mistaken "can't" for "won't." Less convenience for you means more for them. Nor does it matter why. Happiness is learning to say mai pen rai like the Thais do. They've adapted to their culture well. 

Is this an excuse for poor service in whatever country it occurs? Why should Thai people have to put up with poor customer service? Just because they don't know any better? Sorry, my friend, that won't fly (besides being insulting to Thai people).

Thai banks are medieval. For anything possible use foreign banks - I for one am very happy with Citibank. If you need local banking then Thai Military Bank is not charging for inter-provincial money transfers, be it transferring or withdrawing. I understand, that some commercial banks now are adopting to this too as they are losing customers by the hundreds to TMB. 
The other day I read, that the inter-provincial transfer (on normal internet lines with normal security encryption) generates THB 9‘000‘000‘000 and the banks cry foul now. 

Transferring money from Switzerland, irrespective of amount, costs me CHF 5 per transfer (THB 150); the receiving Bangkok Bank cuts another THB 400 - for absolutely no reason. 

So bank whenever possible NOT with a Thai bank, bunch of highway robbers of the most inefficient and impolite kind. Had to put a counter kid right the other day at Lotus Nong Khai who was not willing to give me change for 10 x THB 1‘000 notes - as this service was only for customers of their bank branch. Showing her my bank book and telling her at the same time, that Chartsiri Sophonpanich (the bank‘s president) will be delighted to hear about this. Once I started to take pictures she shelled out crispy uncirculated change and smiled mumbling something of „sorry, did not know you‘re personal friends with the president“. Well, I never met the fellow but it did the trick as she did not know that! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Thai banks are medieval. For anything possible use foreign banks - I for one am very happy with Citibank. If you need local banking then Thai Military Bank is not charging for inter-provincial money transfers, be it transferring or withdrawing. I understand, that some commercial banks now are adopting to this too as they are losing customers by the hundreds to TMB. 
The other day I read, that the inter-provincial transfer (on normal internet lines with normal security encryption) generates THB 9‘000‘000‘000 and the banks cry foul now. 

Transferring money from Switzerland, irrespective of amount, costs me CHF 5 per transfer (THB 150); the receiving Bangkok Bank cuts another THB 400 - for absolutely no reason. 

So bank whenever possible NOT with a Thai bank, bunch of highway robbers of the most inefficient and impolite kind. Had to put a counter kid right the other day at Lotus Nong Khai who was not willing to give me change for 10 x THB 1‘000 notes - as this service was only for customers of their bank branch. Showing her my bank book and telling her at the same time, that Chartsiri Sophonpanich (the bank‘s president) will be delighted to hear about this. Once I started to take pictures she shelled out crispy uncirculated change and smiled mumbling something of „sorry, did not know you‘re personal friends with the president“. Well, I never met the fellow but it did the trick as she did not know that! 

Good job...Great post! This place...Land Of Snarls...has gone off the rails. Actually it always has been, but used to be they would Just Do It and smile about it...not snarl and refuse AND give "baditude". :bah:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Yes the banks here are rediculous 

Incompetent staff ect ect

They're no where near 4 yet

So I guess if I wanted to change my card pin number I would have to go to home branch ?

Western banks are "rediculous" on a far grander scale, managing to pay execs hundreds of millions as they manage to lose billions and have to be bailed out by taxpayers ... to ensure execs keep their bonuses for a job well done.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, petermik said:

Many frustrating and to us westerners "crazy" rules abundant here unfortunately TIT....one day they may drag themselves into the 21st century.........:whistling:

By the time that happens the rest of the world will be in the 23rd century.

• Haha 1

Long ago, in the early years that I was in Thailand, I faced a similar problem with my bank account.
The main bank in Bangkok explained to me that all banks in Thailand are independent outlets.
Bangkok bank in Silom is not the same as Bangkok Bank in Sathorn or Bangkok Bank in Sukhumvit.
Every bank is an independent outlet and "CAN" make their own rules.
That explains why you can open an account at Bank "x" but get refused at bank "y".

Getting back to the problem of the Original Poster, the problem with the print of the bank accounts over 12 months can be easily done via Internet banking.
I can access my account back to 24 months (and print) via Internet Banking.

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Long ago, in the early years that I was in Thailand, I faced a similar problem with my bank account.
The main bank in Bangkok explained to me that all banks in Thailand are independent outlets.
Bangkok bank in Silom is not the same as Bangkok Bank in Sathorn or Bangkok Bank in Sukhumvit.
Every bank is an independent outlet and "CAN" make their own rules.
That explains why you can open an account at Bank "x" but get refused at bank "y".

Getting back to the problem of the Original Poster, the problem with the print of the bank accounts over 12 months can be easily done via Internet banking.
I can access my account back to 24 months (and print) via Internet Banking.

And it's quite easy to set up Bangkok Bank (all Thai banks) internet banking and easy to use. 

I was just stubborn about starting / using internet banking for years and continued to run to the bank continuously, then I had a change of mind and I now have i banking with 2 Thai banks, it's easy to set up and quick and really easy to use. 

As mentioned calling up your past history is super easy and quick then just hit the print button.

as it's common knowledge that many banks here operate in an account holding centric way wouldn't it make sense that when you move to a new area of the country either transfer your account to a new local branch or close the existing account and open an new account at a bank nearby?

• Like 1