April 3, 20188 yr Why not?? I see people on tricycle scooters modified to accept a roll on/roll off wheelchair.Would that be allowed for a Farangi?
April 3, 20188 yr I have a left arm only and had no problem getting a Thai drivers license and have renewed it a couple of times, also have Texas license.Use same procedure as regular person,will have to do vehicle drive test.My license was gotten in Korat. Lefty
April 4, 20188 yr Popular Post No problem at all. The vast majority of drivers in Thailand are handicapped by a very profound ignorance of the rules of the road....
April 4, 20188 yr my farong friend is in a wheelchair and got his lisence in pattaya a couple yrs ago. All he had to do was demonstrate that he could drive the hand controls.
April 4, 20188 yr 2 hours ago, blazes said: No problem at all. The vast majority of drivers in Thailand are handicapped by a very profound ignorance of the rules of the road.... Hmm,...this made my day ...thx,...Soo true...
April 4, 20188 yr Yes, I'm a wheelchair driver and got my licence in Chiang Mai by presenting my international drivers licence, doing some ridiculous tests and driving and parking on a designed for that purpose little road !!! Kindergarten stuff, Driving tests in my country are like university exams, Very hard and serious. I designed and build my own car driving by hand mechanisms using western standards. When they checked it they said that it was exceptional. I had only one thing to change to there and my satisfaction. To put the brake leaver in it's normal rest position I used a strong rubber band. I had to change it to a spring, which I did the same hour and drove back to show it again !
April 4, 20188 yr Can handicapped people get a drivers license in Thailand? Well, millions of them do. Just look at the accident figures.
April 4, 20188 yr Yes they can. I am an amputee who uses a wheelchair and uses hand controls to drive. Never had an accident in 18 years or even close. I have a UK license and when I came here at first I got a Thai license no problem as my friend knew one of the workers in the department so I got a 2 year license by showing my UK one. Same when I went to change it for the 5 year one , no test nothing. But when I went a few months ago to renew the 5 year one I sat the driving test and went inside to do the colour blind chart and failed it. He said come back and try again tomorrow . Needless to say I never went back as I doubt my vision will repair itself overnight so I no longer have a Thai license but I have a UK one . Although apart from insurance purposes which I don't think it matters as its the car that's insured not me unless I injure someone then I don't need it . Obviously I would love to have it for peace of mind , but unless I sat the test in the middle of nowhere then I wont pass it due to the colour test. Plus I have only been asked once for it in 10 years and that was the day I got the 2 year one.
April 4, 20188 yr 41 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said: Yes they can. I am an amputee who uses a wheelchair and uses hand controls to drive. Never had an accident in 18 years or even close. I have a UK license and when I came here at first I got a Thai license no problem as my friend knew one of the workers in the department so I got a 2 year license by showing my UK one. Same when I went to change it for the 5 year one , no test nothing. But when I went a few months ago to renew the 5 year one I sat the driving test and went inside to do the colour blind chart and failed it. He said come back and try again tomorrow . Needless to say I never went back as I doubt my vision will repair itself overnight so I no longer have a Thai license but I have a UK one . Although apart from insurance purposes which I don't think it matters as its the car that's insured not me unless I injure someone then I don't need it . Obviously I would love to have it for peace of mind , but unless I sat the test in the middle of nowhere then I wont pass it due to the colour test. Plus I have only been asked once for it in 10 years and that was the day I got the 2 year one. You can go to an International hospital and get a certificate from them stating you are safe to drive (if you are). Present it to the transport office and no problem. Just ask the office what hospital they want you to go to. I am blind in one eye, so failed some of their tests. This was the solution.
April 4, 20188 yr Seems to work well enough for the great majority of Thai drivers, who are all too often handicapped with an inability to drive with any demonstrable level of common sense.
April 4, 20188 yr 50 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said: Yes they can. I am an amputee who uses a wheelchair and uses hand controls to drive. Never had an accident in 18 years or even close. I have a UK license and when I came here at first I got a Thai license no problem as my friend knew one of the workers in the department so I got a 2 year license by showing my UK one. Same when I went to change it for the 5 year one , no test nothing. But when I went a few months ago to renew the 5 year one I sat the driving test and went inside to do the colour blind chart and failed it. He said come back and try again tomorrow . Needless to say I never went back as I doubt my vision will repair itself overnight so I no longer have a Thai license but I have a UK one . Although apart from insurance purposes which I don't think it matters as its the car that's insured not me unless I injure someone then I don't need it . Obviously I would love to have it for peace of mind , but unless I sat the test in the middle of nowhere then I wont pass it due to the colour test. Plus I have only been asked once for it in 10 years and that was the day I got the 2 year one. The UK one becomes null and void if non-resident in the UK. That, of course, is a technicality, so long as you can demonstrate a UK address. But for renewal or replacement, they now need some form of ID such as a passport, so I have yet to test the waters on that one.
April 6, 20188 yr On 04/04/2018 at 5:27 PM, chrissables said: You can go to an International hospital and get a certificate from them stating you are safe to drive (if you are). Present it to the transport office and no problem. Just ask the office what hospital they want you to go to. I am blind in one eye, so failed some of their tests. This was the solution. I will check that out but I am sure I actually had a med certificate saying I had no health problems etc when I went to renew the 5 year one .
April 6, 20188 yr On 04/04/2018 at 5:35 PM, Jonmarleesco said: The UK one becomes null and void if non-resident in the UK. That, of course, is a technicality, so long as you can demonstrate a UK address. But for renewal or replacement, they now need some form of ID such as a passport, so I have yet to test the waters on that one. I renewed mine around 2 years ago using my mothers address. There was a way round not sending them your passport or whatever it was but I cant remember what it was. I found it on Thai visa . It might have been something as simple as I sent it to my mother and she then posted it in the UK so it looked like I was in the uk.
April 6, 20188 yr 6 hours ago, ronaldo0 said: I will check that out but I am sure I actually had a med certificate saying I had no health problems etc when I went to renew the 5 year one . This is not a normal health certificate, its a full eyesight medical at an International hospital. I failed at the test center for my licence, they told me if the doctor will sign the full check, no problem. I have renewed 5 year licences two times this way.
Create an account or sign in to comment