I need help with the correct word in English

Speedo1968

Although I am English and a Native English speaker I have forgotten a word that I need to know.

When I was working in different countries and my daughter was in England, I would for example have a bad headache when she did,

even things like stubbing my toe or hurting my hand etc.    

This would happen at any time of day or night and at exactly the same time ( allowing for time differences ) and injury to the same part of the body.

It occurred often in the 1980's - 2000; between her age of 3 - 20 years, now not so much.   

I would telephone her to check what happened and if she was ok.

Empathy is a general term but I can only find in context with a "feeling" rather than an actual event or fear / happiness for a past / coming event.

Does anyone know the correct technical word for what my daughter and I experience ?

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

"Relating to or involving a physical sensation (supposedly) experienced by an individual at a distance from and without material connection to the instigating cause."

Thanks for the link ( see above text ), however my daughters and my response are real not supposedly.    Guess such cases are still seen as not only strange but impossible.

16 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

"Relating to or involving a physical sensation (supposedly) experienced by an individual at a distance from and without material connection to the instigating cause."

Thanks for the link ( see above text ), however my daughters and my response are real not supposedly.    Guess such cases are still seen as not only strange but impossible.

True, however there would be ongoing studies at Uni/s, you may like to dig further

2 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Mirror-touch synaesthesia?

Maybe not quite the same but there is a BBC News story about Dr Joel Salinas who experiences other peoples pain.

I just read it this morning so googling should find the story.

Thanks for your response.

I found  various links regarding Dr Joel Salinas, interesting articles.

As you say my situation is not quite the same, as with mirror-touch synaesthesia "mirror" is the key word.   The people concerned are next to or near to each other.

In my cases there are thousands of kilometers between my daughter and myself.

In farming all my life I have experienced similar things when distant from a farm but not knowing what was wrong with the farm beforehand, even with individual animals.

Perhaps some kind of "mirror-touch" is what I saw happen in South America, where a local healer places themselves near a person that has pain but, does not touch them, they place their hands in close proximity to the pain affected area and can take away that pain to themselves.   I saw this happen with 'local' patients and with a Westerner who had never met the healer before, as well as on other occasions.

Perhaps 'empathy' is the nearest word I can use.

34 minutes ago, simple1 said:

True, however there would be ongoing studies at Uni/s, you may like to dig further

Thanks I will, just that I was trying to remember the word for a group of alternative medicine doctors I talked too last week.   

I am not a doctor.

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

where a local healer places themselves near a person that has pain but, does not touch them, they place their hands in close proximity to the pain affected area and can take away that pain to themselves.

That sounds more like Energy healing apart from the last part and is quite common - I experienced it in the UK some 15 years ago.

28 minutes ago, tso310 said:

Great album but its spelt synchronicity. The film wasn't too bad either.

I only know the concept from my LSD adventures and studying Jungian theories.  Stick to spelling lessons pal. Because if the the only purchase you can get from my communication is a spelling error/typo then you truly have nothing to offer.