Foreign MMA fighter forces Phuket thief to tap out

snoop1130

Foreign MMA fighter forces Phuket thief to tap out

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1522835840_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Police are looking for an accomplice who hastily fled the scene of an attempted break-and-enter at a small resort in Chalong early on Monday morning after his friend was forced to tap out while being overpowered by a foreign MMA fighter staying at the resort.

Capt Suthichai Kongkangwankietkul of the Chalong Police told The Phuket News today (April 4) that he was called to the 2 Home Resort, located in a small side street off Soi Ta-iad, renowned for its popular MMA and Muay Thai training centres, at about 3am.

“When I arrived, I saw the man, Chatchai Sitthipanya, 39, being held by foreigners,” he said.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/foreign-mma-fighter-forces-phuket-thief-to-tap-out-66655.php#A7jbPPajJopbQWrI.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-4-4

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

not the brightest tool in the box, * lets go and rob a place where fighters stay* duh !!

And you think they had a sign saying they had MMA fighters living there? :crazy:

If you think they had those signs, how many language do you think they had this sign? :saai:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Your just to smart for me, dude. Seriously? I have heard a lot of stupid comments, but this one is going to be put high in the top ten.
I guess you just look to much movies, to be aware of what happens in real life. Try cutting down on american Tv-series for a while. :cheesy:

Since you didn't respond to any of the comments and have zero knowledge of this sector, we will have to assume that you know close to nothing, which is what I suspected.  The facts speak for themselves.  And yes I am too smart for you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Since you didn't respond to any of the comments and have zero knowledge of this sector, we will have to assume that you know close to nothing, which is what I suspected.  The facts speak for themselves.  And yes I am too smart for you.

Another one on nice fluffy clouds, I can read. You didn´t provide any facts. You just stated your opinion, to which I diagree. Guess we leave it with that, before it get´s to complicated for you. :smile:

Edited by Get Real

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Another one on nice fluffy clouds, I can read. You didn´t provide any facts. You just stated your opinion, to which I diagree. Guess we leave it with that, before it get´s to complicated for you. :smile:

It already got too complicated for you by the first post as evident by your total lack of knowledge, and persistent bloviating

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

Actually you are totally wrong.  These MMA guys are used to sport fighting in a protected environment, inside a protective cage, with a protective referee, with protective rules, with protective equipment, with a single opponent, and with no weapons.  Therefore, close to zero risk.  They also have almost zero awareness of anything outside the cage and their opponent.  And yes I have seen the scenario you mention in Brazil.  Better luck next time with your inaccurate analysis and assumptions.

"They also have almost zero awareness of anything outside the cage" ... I would not automatically assume this to be the case ... Yes, a street fight is not a 'rules based' nor secured place to do battle. Weapons and sucker punches from 'others' can come from multiple directions. But, a skilled MMA fighter would likely assess who (how many) are there to 'play.' If you slam down the leader (hard),  the remaining rats will scurry for cover. In this case there was reportedly one (1) accomplice who fled the scene ... and the report states the collared perp was held by foreigners (plural)... I suspect the MMA fighter had friends nearby... just in case.

• Like 1

It's the sort of thing people who've been ripped off dream about.  I've had many things stolen in Thailand, but only once caught the person in the act (it was an early teenage Thai punk and his buddies) .....and I didn't strike him because I don't strike children.

As for the OP, the MMA expert is lucky the scenario was in his favor.  If there were other Thai guys around, and they thought the farang was out of line, the farang would have been gang attacked, and the Thai attackers would not be shy about using iron bars, broken bottles, chairs or any other weapons at hand.

It's happened hundreds of time in places like Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bkk. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

Torrzent's observations are not stupid at all, but quite accurate.  I have a lot of respect for MMA fighters, I'm a UFC fan. But Torrents is right, MMA is highly controlled entertainment fighting. And even though the training, skills and conditioning of an MMA fighter would serve him or her well in the run of the mill self defense, or bar fight or heroically taking down a stupid thief;  He/she could get very surprised and overwhelmed by a hardened, aggressive street fighter (and his friends), probably with weapons, or whose primary targets may be eyes, throat, balls, knees.  An MMA fighter doesn't train to defend against that type of attack or multiple attackers. And sorry no referee, no rules, no 5 minute time out to recover, no rounds, no gloves, no mat, no corner stitch man on the street.   (just my take as former paramedic ambulance and ER, Guardian Angels street patrol medic, martial arts tournament medic ) 

Agreed and well said!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

Torrzent's observations are not stupid at all, but quite accurate.  I have a lot of respect for MMA fighters, I'm a UFC fan. But Torrents is right, MMA is highly controlled entertainment fighting. And even though the training, skills and conditioning of an MMA fighter would serve him or her well in the run of the mill self defense, or bar fight or heroically taking down a stupid thief;  He/she could get very surprised and overwhelmed by a hardened, aggressive street fighter (and his friends), probably with weapons, or whose primary targets may be eyes, throat, balls, knees.  An MMA fighter doesn't train to defend against that type of attack or multiple attackers. And sorry no referee, no rules, no 5 minute time out to recover, no rounds, no gloves, no mat, no corner stitch man on the street.   (just my take as former paramedic ambulance and ER, Guardian Angels street patrol medic, martial arts tournament medic ) 

Dont want to hijack the thread, but MMA has a surprising number of rules to protect the fighters.

No head stomps or head kicks when opponent on ground, no 12 to 6 elbows, no hitting in the back of head or spine, no attacking or breaking fingers of opponent, no headbutts, no eye gouges, no biting, etcetc.

In the case of the UFC, it is an entertainment business first and foremost and the fighters are an investment and marketing tool, so having a guy permanently disabled with UFC being forced to constantly find new blood would lower marketabilty, and PPV.  This would kill their business.  Their marketing schtick is to sell the dangerous aspect to the public, while in reality making sure it is not too dangerous.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HLover said:

Hope the hero does not receive a fine or revenge from the scumbag thief.

That's a good point.  It could happen (though small likelihood) that it's a mistaken identity and/or misreading the scenario.  If so, the farang could be in a world of legal trouble.

'taking the law into your own hands' (39,200,000 hits on google search) can be good, or it can be bad - depending on circumstances.

For example: if a guy sees another guy slap a woman in public.  The first guy could run over and break the 2nd guy's arm.  It could then be later assessed, that the married couple were arguing about something important (example: the woman just emptied their joint account to give the lucre to her secret boyfriend).  Who's the culprit in that scenario?

5 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Interesting comments. Have you researched the average duration of street fights and what % finish on the ground?

Martial Arts were intended to be taught as a whole, i.e. the art forms, the patterns, the applications direct and indirect of the techniques contained in those patterns, the learning and practice of techniques, sparring, set, semi-free and free and their applications in different scenarios. The sport sparring adopted my most if not all martial arts, with varying rules and protection gear allowed, is a product of relative modern times where people wanted some form of competition.

MMA as the name suggests, mixes the styles but with rules aimed at promoting safe sport. The first mixed tournaments I ever saw were on t.v. in Taiwan in the early 90's. Usually the competitors had karate, kung <deleted> or BJJ backgrounds. The Gracie brothers were almost unbeatable. Leaping at the strikers and wrapping round them like a limpet until securing a tap out. Now that wasn't street fighting, but it was much closer to it than the UFC etc versions of MMA. 

Boxers are usually pretty formidable street fighters - they hit hard, fast and accurately and can take shots. But IME most street fights are messy, not full of classical moves like in the films and t v shows, and many won on a lucky shot. Multiple opponents and / or weapons brings whole new dimensions.

In this scenario where a group of trained MMA fighters caught two would be thieves, one of whom legged it, then putting the other in a hold seems a reasonable choice.

My take based on studying and practicing several martial arts for over 40 years; observing many street fights of different dimensions and context; and working in entertainment security for some years.

• Like 1

just lucky no other Thai guys around.

the Thai guy only have to yell out to other thai that the crazy farang attack him for no reason.

then the farang will get a running soccer style boot to head from behind that he dont expect coming.

this why you dont take a Thai against police unless you understand and speak Thai very well.

easy for them to lie and you have no idea what they are saying.

they can easily make you to be the bad guy who steals and who you think will the cop believe?

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

The snap kick  to the nuts is very effective; however, you can not hesitate, and you gotta be fast.

Is that bottom of the foot Japanese mae-geri style or top of the foot muay thai style.  Just dont hit with your own toes as you could break them.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2018 at 4:00 AM, torrzent said:

Is that bottom of the foot Japanese mae-geri style or top of the foot muay thai style.  Just dont hit with your own toes as you could break them.

Or if you're a world champion wait until your opponent is in a bus then throw folding chairs and tables at him.