DDPM: those in an accident while intoxicated can't make insurance claim

webfact

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes.

On each trip in a Bell bus e.g. you are pointed to "no smoking", "no alcohol drinking" (and fasten seat belt).

Of course there are "pros" who know how to fill a juice bottle with booze before departure. :biggrin:

Seen recently on a Thai related youtube video.

I'm no "pro" but i do this as a passenger on long distance buses and trains too. Why not? Doesn't really make sense. When I'm driving myself I'm sober though, because that makes sense..

15 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And if bankrupt before final payment, jail time.

They pay prisoners 3 bucks a day - stay in jail until the bill paid in full. Takes all your life - tough.

Publish this on the 6 oclock news. Everybody will get the message.

Prisoners don't get paid here, but if they have unpaid fines, every day in prison is accounted for 200 Baht.

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

Missed that bit.

You're right. So Somchai ( pissed ) who earns 300 baht a day will pay for the repair to Hi-So's Benz that he hit with his 25 year old pick up.

Good idea, not.

??? ..... the hi sos own insurance can fix the Benz.

im surprised any of this surprises anyone.... if your drunk, your insurance is void... that’s everywhere, not just thailand

every week we here read about insurance not covering accidents (usually motorbike incidents) and posters hang da poo on uninsured road users.... well hey... anyone driving illegally is uninsured, just like tourists without correct licences etc etc

Edited by farcanell

22 hours ago, Peabody said:

Kind of punishes the victims, doesn't it?

If someone is driving while over the limit and is the innocent victim in a Road Traffic Collision, they should still have the full book thrown at them just for the fact they are driving while over the limit.

22 hours ago, Peabody said:

YOU are Sooooooooo RIGHT..............  While the fat/rich insurance companies get richer....... Makes me wonder if some 'Heads' of Government/Army aren't shareholders????

TIT...................... (This Is Thailand)................... (Modern Day Thailand)......................... (Used to be known as 'Land of Smiles')..................

46 minutes ago, farcanell said:

im surprised any of this surprises anyone.... if your drunk, your insurance is void... that’s everywhere, not just thailand

every week we here read about insurance not covering accidents (usually motorbike incidents) and posters hang da poo on uninsured road users.... well hey... anyone driving illegally is uninsured, just like tourists without correct licences etc etc

Many insurance companies here won't issue first class/fully comp when the vehicles reach a certain age.

Will that mean up SC without a paddle if you are hit by a vehicle driven by a drunk driver or if going on the 50mg per 100mg a dead driver?

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

Missed that bit.

You're right. So Somchai ( pissed ) who earns 300 baht a day will pay for the repair to Hi-So's Benz that he hit with his 25 year old pick up.

Good idea, not.

The Hi-So's own insurance will pay though.

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Porobor will still pay. Not sure about this case though, I find the wording very unclear.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Many insurance companies here won't issue first class/fully comp when the vehicles reach a certain age.

Will that mean up SC without a paddle if you are hit by a vehicle driven by a drunk driver or if going on the 50mg per 100mg a dead driver?

I suppose that if someone is driving an uninsured vehicle, for whatever reason, then insurance won’t pay out.

That said, this is not an insurance company issue... it’s a governmental issue. If a vehicle is uninsurable, it should not be on the road. This is something that the disaster prolification department needs to address in one way or another.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Porobor will still pay. Not sure about this case though, I find the wording very unclear.

The wording may be unclear because it’s a statement made by a government official, not a representative of the insurance sector.... and hey.... you know... statements by the government should be treated with ... (lol... choose your word there)

On 4/5/2018 at 3:16 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I saw that too and was scratching my head...  :w00t:

So to believe NNT, the no-insurance-coverage deal for drunken driving only applies when your blood content is half blood and half alcohol???? 

:burp:   :cheesy:   :clap2:

In other words dead. 

On 05/04/2018 at 2:57 PM, Peabody said:

The same applies in, at least, some European countries. If you have an accident whilst over the 50mg limit enforced in Belgium and Luxembourg you are, by law, uninsured. It happened to someone I know; he worked in a bar in Luxembourg City and overindulged a bit one night, lost control on a patch of ice and wrote off his own car by slamming into a brand new BMW 7 series that just happened to be coming the other way on the same stretch of road. The courts concluded that it was his fault as he had been driving too fast for the conditions and he didn't have winter specification tyres on his vehicle, he was banned from driving for 1 month, fined and ended having to pay for the BMW out of his own pocket - it took him 10 years!

20 minutes ago, paulbj2 said:

The same applies in, at least, some European countries. If you have an accident whilst over the 50mg limit enforced in Belgium and Luxembourg you are, by law, uninsured. It happened to someone I know; he worked in a bar in Luxembourg City and overindulged a bit one night, lost control on a patch of ice and wrote off his own car by slamming into a brand new BMW 7 series that just happened to be coming the other way on the same stretch of road. The courts concluded that it was his fault as he had been driving too fast for the conditions and he didn't have winter specification tyres on his vehicle, he was banned from driving for 1 month, fined and ended having to pay for the BMW out of his own pocket - it took him 10 years!

For it to work in Thailand considering the wages here then the only way would be for the gov' to pay for the repairs and chase the money from the drunk driver and jail them if they don't pay, or if their vehicle has value take it and sell it to recoup some of the money.

In the case of jail for non payment by the drunk driver quite a few new prisons would have to be built.

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

For it to work in Thailand considering the wages here then the only way would be for the gov' to pay for the repairs and chase the money from the drunk driver and jail them if they don't pay, or if their vehicle has value take it and sell it to recoup some of the money.

In the case of jail for non payment by the drunk driver quite a few new prisons would have to be built.

I believe that's what happens in Luxembourg. The aggrieved party's insurance pays out then the insurers claim against the drunk driver

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, canthai55 said:

And if bankrupt before final payment, jail time.

They pay prisoners 3 bucks a day - stay in jail until the bill paid in full. Takes all your life - tough.

Publish this on the 6 oclock news. Everybody will get the message.

"They pay prisoners 3 bucks a day -"

Oh aye, sure!   Who told you that?

1 minute ago, paulbj2 said:

I believe that's what happens in Luxembourg. The aggrieved party's insurance pays out then the insurers claim against the drunk driver

I was involved in a "no fault" (on my part) accident in Belgium when some idiot came flying out of a blind side road that had a "Stop" sign controlling it's access to the main road I was on. I glanced in my read view mirror and when I looked back at the road in front there was a car about 1 metre in front of me - I didn't even have time to hit brakes before I slammed into the side of it. Luckily I was only doing about 60 KPH (40 MPH). Equally luckily for me, there was a Police car two cars behind me, so they were on the scene in seconds. The driver of the other car failed a roadside breath test very convincingly, but was persuaded to sign a comprehensive admission of liability at the local Police station, thereby miraculously passing a second breath test. That is what some Police have been known to do in some circumstances as it works out better for all parties. The insurers pay up and everyone is happy (except the insurers). In this case, I imagine the insurers were very unhappy as my car was near brand new Lotus Elise (value 40,000 €uros) and hers was a recent Fiat Punto (value around 8000 €uros); an expensive night for her insurers!

What the DDPM is saying is nonsense, drivers can make claims to their insurers, pissed or not, and they do have the right to do so, that's why we pay our premiums.  But it's up to the insurer to decide if it's going to pay out!

Edited by Just Weird