CVT Use On the Rise

At the Motor Show CNX today. Surprised at the number of cars using this transmission.

Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris and Vios, most Nissan models ...

Surprised that so many manufacturers are going this way.

Some nice deals to be had also.

2 hours ago, mbamber said:

Ah remember a friend of my Dads he had a Mercedes 450 SLC and a DAF 33 or 66 which had the DAF variomatic the first commercial CVT I can remember early 1970's what a difference the 2 cars were.:smile::smile:

Which was better the Merc or the DAF.   MrsJ has the Civic RS, I'm impressed with the CVT, unfortunately she seems to hog the right hand seat ...

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Just know auto cars are quicker than manual especially if they are set up right, dunno about cvt unless the same, whether it matters or not is up to the the individual driver..

Most people against CVT are people that keep referring back to 40years old models of cars everytime they come up.

Yeah manual is the most fun on a track, but CVT ain't that bad when you're driving your car around.

4 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

Most people against CVT are people that keep referring back to 40years old models of cars everytime they come up.

Yeah manual is the most fun on a track, but CVT ain't that bad when you're driving your car around.

Yeah moons ago drove manual on tracks at low cost level but ain't F1 these days just computer controlled auto's. :laugh:

Just know auto cars are quicker than manual especially if they are set up right, dunno about cvt unless the same, whether it matters or not is up to the the individual driver..
I guess none have been set up right yet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Renting a Suzuki Ciaz here in Krabi, with a CVT

Has a Sport button on the side of the shifter, RPM changes from 1750 to 2500 at 90 kph

Still undecided if I like it or not. Most times it is seamless, but the odd whining can be heard at higher Revs. Sometimes.

The new Civic CVT has a similar function when the selector is moved from drive to sport.  Holds the revs higher to give better response and engine braking.  I like this arrangement, much better IMO than a mode button buried on the dash somewhere.