Bats as big as chickens !!

Andrew Dwyer

Okay, now I’ve got your attention I have to admit they weren’t as big as chickens !! ( that’s how they were described to me )

But they were pretty big, as bats go, and there were literally hundreds of them hanging upside down on a tree outside a Wat in plain daylight ( 38 degrees ! ).

IMG_5291.JPG

I thought bats like the dark cool places during the daytime ?

As you can see it’s a pretty sunny day and no shade other than the trees leaves.

IMG_5294.JPG

Anyone seen this before ?

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

And...amazing animals..got their knee joints around the wrong way so they can hang upside down.
Also..don't crap through their bum as that would cover them in crap, but get rid of waste through their mouth.
Also..got some pretty nasty viruses.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Utter crap.

• Like 1

Utter crap.
'Bat fact 2: Bats' knees face backwards. The position of bats' knees aids in the bat's ability to navigate in flight and to hang by its feet. Bats cling to their roosts without expending energy, using specialized tendons that hold their toes in place.'

Next?

3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

'Bat fact 2: Bats' knees face backwards. The position of bats' knees aids in the bat's ability to navigate in flight and to hang by its feet. Bats cling to their roosts without expending energy, using specialized tendons that hold their toes in place.'

Next?

Poo coming out of their mouths, please :)

Really !! There's some crap coming out of you right now :)

When they poop, they go upright for just a few seconds and then hang upside down again.
Sorry I was wrong. So I was told the myth by the batiologist and I believed the myth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

I presume the fruit bats are left alone because they are next to the Wat. In most of Thailand, they would soon be lunch.

Exactly!

I thought they had disappeared from the country...never seen one in 20 years!

Even the small bats have all but disappeared in my area, along with the fireflies, tropical birds, butterflies and anything that flies..save for the bang fai, that will return soon...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Next?

"Also.. don't crap through their bum as that would cover them in crap, but get rid of waste through their mouth."

This is what I was referring to.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Talking Shit! :cheesy:

Could this thread be fused with yesterday's thread about Thai hotels preferring Chinese tourists than Westerners?

Both being dedicated to excrements either left by bats or by Chinese, a single thread titled "why do visitors flying to Thailand like to drop their s... all over the country?" should be enough..

Edited by Brunolem

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Enough of the do/don’t poo out of their bum or whatever.... it’s boring already, but if you hang some banana from your balcony you might be lucky enough to attract them 

The last time I hung my Banana out on the balcony. I got arrested.

bats as big as chickens! and rats as big as cats! and then the guitar solo starts up...

looks to me like them fruit bats are just hangin' around and mindin' their own business...fer sure the cops will be along soon to move them along...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Where is this? Like to watch them! 

The last time I saw one was after a freshly stripped fruit kernel dropped on my friends head while we were out for an evening stroll.

I looked up expecting to see a squirrel, but saw something much larger crawling around in the branches about 7 metres above our heads.

In the dark It took a few moments for me to realise (to my delight) that I was looking at Large flying fox - Wikipedia foraging for food.

I had seen plenty of smaller bats in the location but this was a real treat.

It was in February this year, in the province of Chonburi, in a town called Pattaya, along a thoroughfare known as "Beach Road".

It's worth staying there for a few days as there's loads of things to do around the town.

Enjoy your visit.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2018 at 11:51 AM, Brunolem said:

Exactly!

I thought they had disappeared from the country...never seen one in 20 years!

Even the small bats have all but disappeared in my area, along with the fireflies, tropical birds, butterflies and anything that flies..save for the bang fai, that will return soon...

In Singapore and Malaysia they're considered a delicacy. Here in Phrae I see about 3 fireflies a year, mobs of butterflies and, of course, very few native birds..... (brown skinned "he-men") equipped with "ghost nets"!! 

• Like 1

They are Malayan flying foxes aka large fruit bat, kalang or flying dogs, and they are totally harmless if you're not a fruit.

As most things that moves they are a popular dish in Isaan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TPI said:

In Singapore and Malaysia they're considered a delicacy. Here in Phrae I see about 3 fireflies a year, mobs of butterflies and, of course, very few native birds..... (brown skinned "he-men") equipped with "ghost nets"!! 

Sumatra used to be full of flying foxes, which were sold for dinner along the roads...I don't know what's left of them these days...

About 3 fireflies a year also here in Sisaket...butterflies have all but disappeared...there are (very) few nice birds left, green, yellow or black and white, as well as beautiful white and grey hawks turning high above the rice paddies in search of small animals...

Whenever my neighbors capture one of these birds, I buy it and release it right away...but the most terrible enemy for all these animals is the pesticides that the locals spray like mad, at ten times the prescribed dosage!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2018 at 12:46 AM, Enoon said:

The last time I saw one was after a freshly stripped fruit kernel dropped on my friends head while we were out for an evening stroll.

I looked up expecting to see a squirrel, but saw something much larger crawling around in the branches about 7 metres above our heads.

In the dark It took a few moments for me to realise (to my delight) that I was looking at Large flying fox - Wikipedia foraging for food.

I had seen plenty of smaller bats in the location but this was a real treat.

It was in February this year, in the province of Chonburi, in a town called Pattaya, along a thoroughfare known as "Beach Road".

It's worth staying there for a few days as there's loads of things to do around the town.

Enjoy your visit.

Indeed, I see them on pattaya beach road, primarily between soi 4 and the klang intersection...they are large!