Car Hire In Uk

monsieurhappy

I am going to the UK in July and would like to hire a car whilst there. I have been looking online to book but am worried about supplying the necessary documents when picking up the car. I still have my UK driving license and a valid credit card but they ask for an up to date utililty bill from local residents. Does the fact that I now reside in Thailand mean I don't have to produce this? Has anybody hired a car in UK recently and come across the same problem?

I was in the UK last week and managed to hire a car just by using my driving licence card without hte green paper version that theie website insists should be handed in with it.

I read their website and so did the run a round getting all the paperwork faxed over to me from my parents house where some of my docs are in storage but when I got to the Hertz counter, they didn't even bother to ask to see any of it and they were just happy to accept my plastic driving licence.

At the end of the day these guys are a business and when push comes to shove as long as you have a valid UK licence and don't look drunk or have a boy racer look about you then they will just give you a car.

Before I arrived in the UK I even phoned them to check and they said that if they had any doubts then they would just phone up the DVLA and ask them to check to see if you have any penalty points on your licence so I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you are using Hertz at Heathrow like I did.

is it possible to hire a car in the uk using a thai driving licence?

Certainly 'Thrifty' (and probably others too) will but you'll need a certified translation or an International Driving Permit (IDP) for any licence not using western text.

Not sure if a Brit. with a Thai licence will have any joy though, some countries won't let their own nationals drive on a foreign licence :o

Thai licences are unacceptable in the UK.

Would you want a Thai driver on a UK road? They just wouldn't understand what a highway code was.......

Seriously though, as an experiment I tried handing over my Thai licence at Heathrow, and they said they couldn't take it without a proper International Licence to go with it.

Almost all car hire companies refuse to hand over a car without a credit card deposit.

Never heard of having a utility bill though, what do all the foreign tourists do?

I have booked a hire car through a company called "autoreservation.com" at what I think is a good price. Nissan Micra 1200 cc. 29 days for 408 GBP. Although it's booked through an agency it's actually from Budget Car Hire but the same car booked direct with that company would have been 467 GBP. The terms and conditions are pretty much the same as all the rest of the hire companies. Anyway, as for the documents needed, as I am an international traveller with a return ticket, that and my driving license ( UK ) and a credit card is all I'll need. Thanks for the replies.

Edited by monsieurhappy