Four suspects arrested for the death of a young woman during a ritual to chase “evil spirit”

rooster59

25 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

To lose a daughter to religious fraud is a terrible loss and pain. Peace to the family, friends and neighbors.  My heart breaks for them.  

And what about religion isn't 'fraud'? Name 3 things exclusive to religion that cannot be (better) delivered in the real world...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

a cheating gang which preyed on the gullible by convincing them to their concocted “sacred” water to do away with their bad luck or spirit.

And unfortunately, LoS has plenty of gullibles.

6 hours ago, Lupatria said:

They should throw the parents in the same cell with these pervert fraudsters. But what can we expect if the ruler of this country is publicly showing half a dozen amulets hanging around his neck to avoid being bothered by evil spirits. I don't believe in all this crap however, in his case I would side with the ghosts and spirits. 

'... the ruler of this country is publicly showing half a dozen amulets hanging around his neck to avoid being bothered by evil spirits.'

Those are for discouraging bothersome activists.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

If both the Mother and daughter were not so stupid in the first place to believe the rubbish they were told, the daughter would still be alive today  R.I.P

Sadly though they are just 2 of millions here in Thailand  that believe all this  hocus pocus evil spriit nonsense.

Not just Thailand....ever see the movie..."The Exorcist"..which is not fiction but based on fact?

Edited by dotpoom

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Not just Thailand....ever see the movie..."The Exorcist"..which is not fiction but based on fact?

I'm glad you made that a question.  The answer is no.  No, it's not "based on fact".  Not unless you also believe that the James Bond movies are not fictional, but rather based on fact because spies exist.

Edited by attrayant

22 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

If both the Mother and daughter were not so stupid in the first place to believe the rubbish they were told, the daughter would still be alive today  R.I.P

Sadly though they are just 2 of millions here in Thailand  that believe all this  hocus pocus evil spriit nonsense.

Yeah it's a Thai fashion 

17 hours ago, Artisi said:

Guess something like 400,000 unnecessary hospital deaths  / year in the USA is joking. 

Done some googling and the figures are truly shocking. Our NHS has similar problems. There doesn't seem to be a definition of unnecessary which means the numbers can be twisted and exaggerated which ever way suits the researcher. 

Back to your original comment - there is no similarity between this kind of voodoo and western medicine even if the outcome is the same. If you needed treatment, would you go to a hospital staffed with witch doctors like these 5 or a modern western hospital? 

23 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Hahaha ! much more than 2 millions if you add people believing in Jesus and Mahomet !!!! In fact in this world there is a wide majority believing in hocus pocus evil spriit nonsense .....

23 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Being possessed by evil spirits and performing exorcisms are hardly peculiar to thailand and thai people.

Ireland and other predominantly catholic countries have a long a colorful history and ut still persists.

Mind you I am a little more understanding and not prone to wild stereotyping to besmirch a whole nation based on scanty examples 

7 hours ago, chang1 said:

Done some googling and the figures are truly shocking. Our NHS has similar problems. There doesn't seem to be a definition of unnecessary which means the numbers can be twisted and exaggerated which ever way suits the researcher. 

Back to your original comment - there is no similarity between this kind of voodoo and western medicine even if the outcome is the same. If you needed treatment, would you go to a hospital staffed with witch doctors like these 5 or a modern western hospital? 

I would go during a doctors or nurses industrial strike as the number of deaths seem to drop during strike action (google for data). 

I would go during a doctors or nurses industrial strike as the number of deaths seem to drop during strike action

Let me get this straight.  You'd prefer to go to the hospital... when the doctors and nurses aren't there?  Who do you expect to receive treatment from, the janitorial staff?

28 minutes ago, Artisi said:

(google for data). 

I think I'll do that.  From our friends at The Straight Dope:

When doctors go on strike does the death rate go down?

t’s not really so surprising that mortality statistics sometimes show a drop during a doctors’ strike. What’s staggering is that a reasonable person could see such stats and for even an instant think: Holy crap, those doctors are killing us. Sure, there’ll always be a few alternative-medicine fringe dwellers who genuinely see the medical establishment as some sinister cabal presiding over a high-density feedlot of human misery. But the way this “fact” about doctors’ strikes gets passed around suggests that a lot more people are a little more nuts than you’d want to imagine.

Don't worry; he's probably not referring to you.

Edited by attrayant
fixed formatting tags snafu

There are probably fewer deaths because operations get postponed. Have you considered how many would die if there were only witch doctors? I bet they would never have any "unnecessary" deaths as those that died would all be blamed on bad spirits.

3 minutes ago, chang1 said:

There are probably fewer deaths because operations get postponed. Have you considered how many would die if there were only witch doctors? I bet they would never have any "unnecessary" deaths as those that died would all be blamed on bad spirits.

Yep fewer deaths because operations were postponed, 10/10 - well done. 

I did live in issan and older people are heavy on spirit good or bad so they pray or they make potions to cure; E>xample a snake in the neighbor house so they called the monk to come over and do a rituel  Had also a snake in the house where i lived, to my surprise this creature was so scare he was trying to get out so I did open the patio door and showed him the way out did not need a prayer or the monk to do that just a stick a long one.

My best guess the neighbor to the right of my house got the visit but never heard anything about it.

23 hours ago, attrayant said:

Let me get this straight.  You'd prefer to go to the hospital... when the doctors and nurses aren't there?  Who do you expect to receive treatment from, the janitorial staff?

I think I'll do that.  From our friends at The Straight Dope:

When doctors go on strike does the death rate go down?

Don't worry; he's probably not referring to you.

you did read the full article , then maybe you didn't or can't, if you had read it you might have noticed the following:

"Any seeming benefit to patients’ health likely resulted from about 11,000 fewer operations (presumably elective) being performed that month than was typical, meaning that an estimated 50 to 150 patients who could have been expected to die didn’t" ---- Note:  50 to 150 didn't die from elective surgery - so 50 to 150 lives saved, not a bad effort.  

Plus it might be worthwhile to expand your reading instead of sticking to a site solely dedicated to finding fault with legitimate articles -- The Straight Dope does have its place - but ...

Worth a read if interested.

\https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/when-doctors-go-on-strike_b_1513689.html

14 hours ago, Artisi said:

Plus it might be worthwhile to expand your reading instead of sticking to a site solely dedicated to finding fault with legitimate articles

That's not what the site is "solely dedicated" to.  From their tag line:

Capture.PNG.1d5a135316d0546ac8cd41668c704f93.PNG

And their FIVE references are all cited.  You follow up with, of all things, a Huffington Post blog that's four paragraphs long and says that doctors still treated emergency cases.  I'd say you're the one who needs to expand your reading.

14 hours ago, Artisi said:

The Straight Dope does have its place - but ..

But what? 

It's not news to anybody that surgery has its risks.  I don't see anyone going to herbal witch doctors for rhinoplasty, liposuction or gastric bypasses.  What do you think would happen if the suspects in the OP were performing such surgeries?  People would be dying in greater numbers than if they had these same procedures done in hospitals.

Using your logic, if doctors never came back to work at all we'd all become much healthier and live much longer lives.  Seriously?

And I'd still like to know who you think is going to treat you if you go to a hospital when doctors are on strike.