Android Tablets without a SD memory card – whats your view ?

1 hour ago, Silurian said:

I'm waiting on the Huawei Mediapad M5. Hopefully it will come to Thailand. I want to replace my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4. The Mediapad M3 sells in Thailand but is about 2 years old. The M5 is a nice upgrade.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/tablets/mediapad-m5-8/

They look very decent specifications , but I think they will all be out of my budget range :sad: 

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

To overcome the lack of memory card slots you could use a duel drive thumb drive which gives you a full USB 3.0 connection on one end (load your movies from your PC/laptop with this) and a micro USB on the other (connect to your tablets charging port and acts as an additional drive). I have been using one of these for about a year on an HP Slate 7" without a problem. Just remember to unmount before removing from the tablet.

The link is just the first one that appeared on the page, they come in many flavours from many manufacturers......................:thumbsup:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sandisk-ultra-dual-drive-m30-32gbusb30speedupto150mbs-i160582068-s193394862.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.1.95b24b03yLR3kW&search=1

Thanks for the link , some thing I never thought about :thumbsup:

The Android tablet market place seems to be sparsely populated in opposite to the android mobile phone market , where a new model is released nearly every week. 

I have been looking at several other Chinese tablet brands ( Cube / Chuwi / Pipo / Teclast / Onda ) that seem in some cases to offer both interesting models at reasonable prices . But the little voice in my head keeps telling me to stick with – Lenovo / Huawei  / Acer / Samsung .

Tablet sales have taken a drop ever since smartphone screens got larger....like 6 inch screen smartphones are now common.  For example, the wife and I over the last month upgraded our 5 year old Samsung S4 phones (5 inch screen) to Samsung A8+ (2018) phones which has a 6 inch screen.

• Thanks 1

I would never buy one without a sd card. Space is limited enough as it is on these tablets. You need all you can get. I would recommend a galaxy tab s. The screen is 10.5 inches or something. The one i am using now has been going strong about 3 years. Just recently i changed the battery myself. You might dismiss it as they are old but the specs are still competitive today and not a lot different from the galaxy tab s2 or s3. I saw them in tukcom pattaya a few weeks ago for 3500 baht and i think they were new. Also has 3g lte model.

• Thanks 1

Tablet sales have taken a drop ever since smartphone screens got larger....like 6 inch screen smartphones are now common.  For example, the wife and I over the last month upgraded our 5 year old Samsung S4 phones (5 inch screen) to Samsung A8+ (2018) phones which has a 6 inch screen.
True, but a 10" screen is way better for watching any media.
I started bringing my tablet when I go on short holidays instead of my laptop and that works fine, saving weight and volume in the hand luggage.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

True, but a 10" screen is way better for watching any media.
I started bringing my tablet when I go on short holidays instead of my laptop and that works fine, saving weight and volume in the hand luggage.

Yeap, no augment from me on a tablet is better for viewing media.  The wife and I have Samsung 10 inch and Lenovo 8 inch tablets we use frequently to do Youtubing, etc., ....but I will have to say use less frequently since the larger screen phone is getting used more frequently for youtubing especially by the wife for her youtubing.   

But although we are using our tablets less now, if both got stole/broke today, tomorrow I would go out and buy two more in the 8 to 10 inch ballpark....probably 10 inch ballpark....to replace the departed tablets.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

But the little voice in my head keeps telling me to stick with – Lenovo / Huawei  / Acer / Samsung .

ASUS also usually has a pretty good range of Android tablets available in Thailand at reasonable prices. And they have a local service center in BKK in the Rama 9 area behind the Central Rama 9 Mall.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Pib said:

But although we are using our tablets less now, if both got stole/broke today, tomorrow I would go out and buy two more in the 8 to 10 inch ballpark....probably 10 inch ballpark....to replace the departed tablets.  

The past couple years, when I travel, I've been debating whether to just take a tablet and leave the laptop at home. But to do any actual work / typing while away from home, a tablet just doesn't cut it for me, unless I was going to carry a separate keyboard.

So while the tablets are fine for watching videos on the plane and mapping directions on the ground, it's the laptop I end up using for pretty much everything else. Still take both every time.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought a tablet without a SD card slot was called an iPad.......??????? Sorry I couldn't help myself....

I wouldn't get one with only 16GB unless it had a SD card slot. You may want to install a book reader, or other stuff in the future. 16 GB will run out fast. A lot of the newer video services will allow you to download the videos/programs to the tablet and view them later. That way you wont get jerky/studdering video when there is an issue with internet bandwidth, and 16gb won't go far.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reallybigken said:

I thought a tablet without a SD card slot was called an iPad.......??????? Sorry I couldn't help myself....

I wouldn't get one with only 16GB unless it had a SD card slot. You may want to install a book reader, or other stuff in the future. 16 GB will run out fast. A lot of the newer video services will allow you to download the videos/programs to the tablet and view them later. That way you wont get jerky/studdering video when there is an issue with internet bandwidth, and 16gb won't go far.....

its funny you bring up an iPad , not so long ago I was out shopping and killed some time by wandering around the malls Apple shop . Ive never had an iPad so I did not know what to really expect , its was a shock when I picked up an iPad Pro , first how light it was second how thin it was and what a fantastic screen it had , the smooth scrolling was the best I had ever seen . Now I know some don't like the closed Apple system , and the iPad did not have a SD card , but I came away from the Apple shop thinking that if they were not so expensive I may have walked out with one. . :smile:

1 hour ago, Once Bitten said:

Now I know some don't like the closed Apple system , and the iPad did not have a SD card , but I came away from the Apple shop thinking that if they were not so expensive I may have walked out with one. . :smile:

And left your wallet behind!!! :cheesy:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

its funny you bring up an iPad , not so long ago I was out shopping and killed some time by wandering around the malls Apple shop . Ive never had an iPad so I did not know what to really expect , its was a shock when I picked up an iPad Pro , first how light it was second how thin it was and what a fantastic screen it had , the smooth scrolling was the best I had ever seen . Now I know some don't like the closed Apple system , and the iPad did not have a SD card , but I came away from the Apple shop thinking that if they were not so expensive I may have walked out with one. . :smile:

I actually had an IPad mini 2, well we still have it, my 8 year old son uses it now.

I am impressed how well it plays games with only 1gb of ram, the battery lasts very long time, screen is very good. He dropped it, greasy fingers all over but the IPad just keeps on going.

Many apps from the Apple store are better suited for a tablet & generally better than the ones you can find in the Android app store.

I got the mini 2 cheap since it was discontinued and I refuse to pay top $ for a tablet and I wanted a 10" so I bought the Lenovo.

I agree that typing on a 10" Tablet is not nice at all but a Bluetooth keyboard should solve that.

Edited by guzzi850m2

just fyi, Amazon U.S. is having a big sale right now, only for Prime members, on their entire Fire tablets line, including offering their 10 in. full HD Fire tablet for $109.99, regularly $149.99. And that includes a micro SD slot for additional storage beyond the 32 GB internal storage and 2 GB RAM offered at the $109.99 price. Weighs in at 500g.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6YJEAH/

• Brilliant 10.1" 1080p Full HD display (1920 x 1200), up to 1.8 GHZ quad-core processor, 2 GB RAM, and up to 10 hours of battery life.
  • Our largest display, now with over 2 million pixels, stereo speakers, Dolby Audio, and dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi—perfect for watching Full HD video, playing games, reading magazines, and streaming content seamlessly
  • Use Alexa hands-free mode to pause videos, play music, open apps, show sports scores, display the weather, and more—just ask
  • 32 or 64 GB internal storage expandable by up to 256 GB (using the microSD slot). Watch downloaded videos anywhere with a Prime membership, Netflix plan, or Showtime subscription.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

just fyi, Amazon U.S. is having a big sale right now, only for Prime members, on their entire Fire tablets line, including offering their 10 in. full HD Fire tablet for $109.99, regularly $149.99. And that includes a micro SD slot for additional storage beyond the 32 GB internal storage and 2 GB RAM offered at the $109.99 price. Weighs in at 500g.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6YJEAH/

Thanks for the link . :thumbsup:
Ive just heard that Lazada are having a sale between 25th - 27th of April so I'm going to check that out .

I happened to mention that I'm looking for a new Android tablet to use in bed to a Thai neighbor and that my idea was to lay in bed holding a light and thin 7-8 inch screen device  to watch films . The neighbor said that he also had a tablet that he and his wife used in bed , but the tablet had a 10.6 inch screen and weighed around 600g . I said , that must be very heavy to hold all the time . 

This is what the neighbor is using ........

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/avantree-minitable-tb101-i8534036-s10717382.html?search=1

After seeing the neighbors laptop table , it seems to be a good idea that opens up more options for my new tablet relating to weight / thinness / screen size. :smile:

So ive ordered the same table to see how it feels , if it works out ok , then my hunt for a new Android tablet may become easier. 

Now where can I find an Android 12'' tablet :whistling:

A bit off topic , when buying a new SD memory card from the internet ( Lazada / Ebay ) which as I live out in the bush is an easier option , how do you tell / check that the new SD memory card is genuine :sad: and not some crappy copy , fake before you buy one .

What do you do to check ? 

Any thoughts . 

3 minutes ago, Once Bitten said:

A bit off topic , when buying a new SD memory card from the internet ( Lazada / Ebay ) which as I live out in the bush is an easier option , how do you tell / check that the new SD memory card is genuine :sad: and not some crappy copy , fake before you buy one .

What do you do to check ?

There was another thread here lately specifically on someone getting fake SD cards off Lazada, though as I recall, when I asked, the poster said he had bought from a 3rd party vendor selling on Lazada, not directly from Lazada.  I would imagine, counterfeit cards are pretty common here.

Maybe buying directly from a supplier, like via a Samsung retail shop, might fare better. Or even buying directly from Lazada itself, instead of from some small Thai retail shop selling thru Lazada.