ICT To Accelerate Development Of CCTV Across All Major Points In Thailand

Jai Dee

ICT to accelerate development of CCTV across all major points in Thailand

CAT is accelerating its development of CCTV camera system to be installed in all major areas across Thailand.

Association Professor Dr. Wissanu Meeyu, a Spokesman of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) met Kajit Jitsupa (นายขจิต จิตรสุภา), CAT's assistant managing director to discuss the progress of the CCTV system and its development.

Cat Telecom has been assigned to study the installation of CCTVs to telecommunications center in main areas such as Nakorn Sawan, Songkla, Kon Kaen, etc.

All video footages will be forwarded to the main server in Bangrak district and a backup data sent to Nonthaburi telecommunications center. Footages recorded from the CCTVs will be screened at monitors at Bangrak and Nonthaburi centers.

CAT Telecom is still developing a recording system where it can immediately re-play video pictures captured by the closed-circuit televisions. CCTVs are most usable in areas such as the restive south, bush fires, earthquakes and other areas prone to disasters. Alarms will be set to alert staff members at the control centers. Alarm bells will be installed in the areas of emergency so that residents can immediately evacuate.

Dr Wissanu said he was satisfied with his discussion with Mr Kajit and hopes that the installations of CCTVs across the country can reduce disasters and tragedies.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 January 2007

I wonder how long it will be before the big brother is watching and privacy advocates start kicking in about this one.

Maybe the new CCTV cameras are designed to send off a claxon everytime a Farang is spotted and then special thought police despatched to guide you on your Thai awareness way...

Will they be appearing on the Sky train and MRT next too as well to ensure our safety?

I wonder how long it will be before the big brother is watching and privacy advocates start kicking in about this one.

Maybe the new CCTV cameras are designed to send off a claxon everytime a Farang is spotted and then special thought police despatched to guide you on your Thai awareness way...

Will they be appearing on the Sky train and MRT next too as well to ensure our safety?

D*mn right! I'll be packing my hoodie & baseball cap nect time I visit UK. :o

I wouldn't worry. Half of the cameras won't be turned on because the cord didn't reach an electrical outlet. The rest will be broken in a month. No one is going to watch them. This is all pie-in-the sky.

How many of these things have you seen in shopping malls that don't work? I've seem some that don't even have wires going from them!

Most likely, in the end, it will be the street sweeper who sees or doesn't see something, depending on who pays him/her more!

CAT Telecom is still developing a recording system where it can immediately re-play video pictures captured by the closed-circuit televisions.

perhaps it would be silly to mention that an off the shelf , proven system might well be a cheaper and more efficient option - or would that path spoil someones cash pig ?

How many of these things have you seen in shopping malls that don't work? I've seem some that don't even have wires going from them!

You have heard of wi-fi haven't you... no wires required for those.

See the artcile from the UK for an example:

CCTV goes wi-fi to fight crime

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3726335.stm

23rd May 2004

As for watching them, most CCTV is used passively and as in the case of the London bombers was only used as a way to try and identify who they where 'after' the event had occurred. I suspect Thailand will be no different in this respect.

Edited by Casanundra

There was a similar system installed about a year ago ( for monitoring traffic?) and it totally failed at it's official opening, about a year ago. As with Suwarnabhum, the bid winning contractor back then was probably selling plastic buckets beforehand.

If the bidding contract is conducted properly, it will work.