Passport info'

An interesting situation, if you ever get your passport stolen. I had 4 trips to the Australian embassy before I finally received an emergency passport. Partly my fault , as wrong hours and I was obviously pissed off. Anyway, they were very helpful and I walked away with a passport in the end.

The next situation is, my visa has expired, so obviously I can't get a new one without a passport. When I received the passport I handed myself in to Jomtien Immigration for the torture, and jail term. Surprisingly, as I had a police report and a letter from the Aus' Embassy, they just fined me for overstay. But they also gave me a 3 week visa stay (or what ever you want to call it). Anyway, all in all I think Jomtien Immigration are very helpful and understanding. Now I've got 3 weeks to sort things out - better than no weeks!

Jomtien Immigration "understanding"? Yes maybe, but first after that they pushed you to get a fine of course.......  THAT is how understanding they were.. Lets hope you got a receipt at least for your "overstay-payment".......

glegolo

Not unusual for immigration to be helpful when a passport is lost/stolen.

I assume the 3 weeks were for the remainder of a 30 day extension (1900 baht fee) that started from the date your original permit to stay ended (it is not a visa).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not unusual for immigration to be helpful when a passport is lost/stolen.

I assume the 3 weeks were for the remainder of a 30 day extension (1900 baht fee) that started from the date your original permit to stay ended (it is not a visa).

I realize it is not a visa. The overstay was for about 12 days, and the 1,900 was for the stay. I didn't have an extension. So, 8k. I don't mind, I'm just happy to be legal and that I have time to sort things out. Cheers.

My US passport was stolen once from a resort in Sisaket. I reported to the police in Sisaket and they were very helpful. They game a letter with details and a ride to the bus station for my onward to journey to Ubon to catch a flight to Bangkok. Within two weeks US embassy got a me a new passport (with endorsement that this replaces the old passport no.). Immigration at Changwatana stamped my ED visa to the new passport and gave me another departure card. I had a copy of the passport information page.

20 hours ago, Djw6 said:

I realize it is not a visa. The overstay was for about 12 days, and the 1,900 was for the stay. I didn't have an extension. So, 8k. I don't mind, I'm just happy to be legal and that I have time to sort things out. Cheers.

The 1900 was for a 30-day extension, which would always be an option with a tourist-entry (from citizens of many nations).

Many would advise going straight to the airport if the overstay was beyond 1-week.  You can go to the airport with even a very long overstay, pay the fine, and be allowed to leave without jailtime.  In this case, your stolen-passport situation seems to have been taken into consideration.

Thanks for sharing this story, which may help others with lost/stolen passport situations, in the future.

Edited by JackThompson

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The 1900 was for a 30-day extension, which would always be an option with a tourist-entry (from citizens of many nations).

Many would advise going straight to the airport if the overstay was beyond 1-week.  You can go to the airport with even a very long overstay, pay the fine, and be allowed to leave without jailtime.  In this case, your stolen-passport situation seems to have been taken into consideration.

Thanks for sharing this story, which may help others with lost/stolen passport situations, in the future.

One thing is missing here. I don't have a M30 card or what ever it is called stating where I live. It was in my passport that was stolen. When I asked them about it - and I had my freehold title to a condo, they didn't even look at it and said don't worry about it?

46 minutes ago, Djw6 said:

One thing is missing here. I don't have a M30 card or what ever it is called stating where I live. It was in my passport that was stolen. When I asked them about it - and I had my freehold title to a condo, they didn't even look at it and said don't worry about it?

I would file a "TM-30" form when you next return to Thailand.  They may be considering your old one as still active, for the duration of this stay.

Edited by JackThompson