Former Samsenwittayalai school director fired for taking bribe 

webfact

Former Samsenwittayalai school director fired for taking bribe 

By Thai PBS

wirote.jpg

The Bangkok Provincial Education Commission has decided today (April 10) to fire former director of Samsenwittayalai school Viroj Samruan after finding him guilty of receiving 400,000-baht bribe from a student’s parent to enrol in the state-run school.

Speaking after chairing the meeting of the educational commission, Karun Sakulpradit, permanent-secretary of the Education Ministry said the dismissal of Mr Viroj takes immediate effect today.

Under this severest disciplinary action handed down by the commission, Mr Viroj will not get any pension or welfare benefits from the state, Mr Karun said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-samsenwittayalai-school-director-fired-taking-bribe/

How do they ever think they will rid the country of

corruption when the " severest disciplinary action "

is getting the sack and no pension,I thought a prison

term would be more severe . 

I think at 400,000 THB, a pop, the least of his worries

is no pension.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

My adopted Thai son is a Thai language teacher.  One of the best.  His students have won competition after competition, and he is loved by both students and other teachers alike.  Some years ago, when he was first getting started, I asked him why he didn't pursue his Masters.  His answer was simple and direct:
"Dad, if I get my Master's, they'll promote me to Asst. School Administrator.  Then I'll be in a position where I will have to deal with bribes and corruption.  I just want to teach." 

Yes that sounds very credible to me..really.

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

is no pension.

regards Worgeordie

Empathy. With corruption being so prevalent, they wouldn’t wanna give too severe a punishment as they may receive the same if they’re caught. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robblok said:

He is lucky they did not check his wealth and asked for an explanation, this way he could keep all the proceeds from "possible" previous corruption unless you believe he was innocent of course.

Just fired, and losing benefits.. not even a small jail term. 

Totally agree with you Rob. But this business of having to pay a bribe, gratuity, or however it's dressed up is rife, and seems the norm for both state schools and private.

From experience, when discussing alternatives as children move from P6 to M1,  parents will discuss which schools they think are good academically, have good social and nice environments, the different fees and the not really mentioned officially "entrance fee".  The competition to get into certain schools is fierce. But even if a child does well in the entrance exams, that may not be enough. Schools want to select pupils from the right sort of families and backgrounds that will benefit the school. I really could tell you some tales!

So this guy must have upset someone and/or not be well connected. But no one wants to rock the boat further as that boat has been sailing the same way for generations!

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

is no pension.

regards Worgeordie

He wouldn't get it all. But has the head honcho he'd get nice big slices. And the rate isn't always fixed, from what I here. It's all negotiable. And there are outside "fixers" who can be hired to negotiate and lobby on behalf of your child. These fixers are usually very very well connected btw. I did here one story where a "donation" of 5 million was made to secure a place at one school where the pupil will go to kindergarten and stay till 18!

Of course these are all hearsay stories and probably totally exaggerated :whistling:. After we farangs no understand.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Totally agree with you Rob. But this business of having to pay a bribe, gratuity, or however it's dressed up is rife, and seems the norm for both state schools and private.

From experience, when discussing alternatives as children move from P6 to M1,  parents will discuss which schools they think are good academically, have good social and nice environments, the different fees and the not really mentioned officially "entrance fee".  The competition to get into certain schools is fierce. But even if a child does well in the entrance exams, that may not be enough. Schools want to select pupils from the right sort of families and backgrounds that will benefit the school. I really could tell you some tales!

So this guy must have upset someone and/or not be well connected. But no one wants to rock the boat further as that boat has been sailing the same way for generations!

Its just sad that people have to pay to get into good schools the academic results of the pupils alone should be enough. Sickening IMHO.

Just now, robblok said:

Its just sad that people have to pay to get into good schools the academic results of the pupils alone should be enough. Sickening IMHO.

Quite agree. But even in the UK it can be who rather than what you know.  And schools vary enormously in quality there too.

I'm a firm believer in free education and a meritocracy. But I don't think many countries operate like that.

Long long time ago a friend went to interview for a place at Oxford University. He was a higher achiever with excellent grades. First question was "which previous members of your family went to this university" - none. Went down hill from there rapidly. He eventually went to one of the newer Universities. Similar with the British private schools which are quaintly called 'public". They want pupils from the right families and price their fees accordingly. But even if you have the money, that alone isn't always enough.

The world is still riddled with discrimination - based on wealth, connections, perceived social status, and power just as much as race, religion, and sex.

Sad but we ain't progressed much as we move on in the third millenium.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Quite agree. But even in the UK it can be who rather than what you know.  And schools vary enormously in quality there too.

I'm a firm believer in free education and a meritocracy. But I don't think many countries operate like that.

Long long time ago a friend went to interview for a place at Oxford University. He was a higher achiever with excellent grades. First question was "which previous members of your family went to this university" - none. Went down hill from there rapidly. He eventually went to one of the newer Universities. Similar with the British private schools which are quaintly called 'public". They want pupils from the right families and price their fees accordingly. But even if you have the money, that alone isn't always enough.

The world is still riddled with discrimination - based on wealth, connections, perceived social status, and power just as much as race, religion, and sex.

Sad but we ain't progressed much as we move on in the third millenium.

Thankfully its a lot better in the Netherlands university wise its far more based on grades. 

Anyway I am happy I am not raising any kids here.