The cult of Prayut Chan-o-cha

webfact

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

I'm guessing we have different types of Thai friends.The Isaan working class is important but it doesn't have the final say.Among  the educated middle class there is a great deal of support for Prayuth as a non elected PM.Don't forget he won a national mandate for his constitution - which if nothing else demonstrates a level of support it's important not to underestimate.

I doubt whether your views on Prayuth are much different from mine.But we should be careful not to pretend there aren't strong winds blowing in his favour.That said I think the course being plotted is exceedingly dangerous as anyone with knowledge of Thai history would understand.But it's Songkran now and my coffee awaits.The future can be considered on another day.

National mandate for the constitution? The referendum  was a joke. People were taken in for attitude adjustment for making negative comments on it. Open debate on the constitution was not even allowed. IT was all one sided.

Now as to Prayuth himself, well unfortunately I have to agree with you. There are a lot of middle aged/aged supporters. There are none so blind as those who will not see. But hopefully the younger generation will come out to vote this time. I would say he is far less popular with them. 

• Like 2

a very detailed report. Thank you.

However I am afraid that military power might win over the will of Thai people. (I still hope PT will win)

Have a look into Myanmar. The junta is still ruling though there is opposition. Look into Cambodia or Vietnam. Everywhere soldiers. So Prayut got enough examples how to threaten people to get their votes and to exploit the countries with his cronies. Exception Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia and Philippines. No dictatorships but tough regimes too.

Just now, GarryP said:

National mandate for the constitution? The referendum  was a joke. People were taken in for attitude adjustment for making negative comments on it. Open debate on the constitution was not even allowed. IT was all one sided.

Now as to Prayuth himself, well unfortunately I have to agree with you. There are a lot of middle aged/aged supporters. There are none so blind as those who will not see. But hopefully the younger generation will come out to vote this time. I would say he is far less popular with them. 

I'm very well aware of the flaws in the constitution referendum process.In fact I was one of the most active on the forum in drawing attention to its grotesque characteristics.Nevertheless it gave the Junta a measure of legitimacy from a base where it had none at all.It was quite noticeable that this "stamp of approval" boosted the Junta's self confidence.

I'm not sure the support base for Prayuth (and what he stands for) is as age based as you suggest.I disagree with you also is that those who don't share one's views are somehow blind to a unquestionable reality.It's much more nuanced and complicated than that - and I quite sympathise (or at least understand the point of view) with those who dislike a headlong rush to majoritarianism and amoral politicians.The problem is that we are quite close to the point where there can be no compromise.There COULD have been a compromise if the old order had the wit to reform on the basis of enlightened self interest.To me the outlook grim.

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I'm very well aware of the flaws in the constitution referendum process.In fact I was one of the most active on the forum in drawing attention to its grotesque characteristics.Nevertheless it gave the Junta a measure of legitimacy from a base where it had none at all.It was quite noticeable that this "stamp of approval" boosted the Junta's self confidence.

I'm not sure the support base for Prayuth (and what he stands for) is as age based as you suggest.I disagree with you also is that those who don't share one's views are somehow blind to a unquestionable reality.It's much more nuanced and complicated than that - and I quite sympathise (or at least understand the point of view) with those who dislike a headlong rush to majoritarianism and amoral politicians.The problem is that we are quite close to the point where there can be no compromise.There COULD have been a compromise if the old order had the wit to reform on the basis of enlightened self interest.To me the outlook grim.

Hmmm..whatever that means,,

Splendid rhetoric-i love it!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Support is growing for the general’s continued role as premier

Not really.

It's been the same support basically as beforehand and just becoming more visible again after a hiatus of silence as Prayut's government fulfilled its role of payback to the elite class while holding the electorate in check. Now that support foresees danger in losing control of that lucrative relationship with the military and has made known its intent to keep it secure.

6 hours ago, jayboy said:

The problem is that we are quite close to the point where there can be no compromise.There COULD have been a compromise if the old order had the wit to reform on the basis of enlightened self interest.To me the outlook grim.

The opportunity for no compromise has arisen as a result of recent great events.

The New "Old" Order seeks a return to pre-democratic (as much as it was "democratic") absolutism, with its corporate self as ruler.

In the "new circumstances" they have the free-est of free hands.

They still model their ambition and aspirations on those of the Nationalist regimes of the 1920s/30s.

It remains to be seen if  "the bough breaks" (thus beginning the great blood-letting which typically occurs in "such times" throughout the millennia ) as a result of their anachronistic thinking.

The outlook is indeed "grim".

Edited by Enoon

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:56 AM, jayboy said:

I'm guessing we have different types of Thai friends.The Isaan working class is important but it doesn't have the final say.Among  the educated middle class there is a great deal of support for Prayuth as a non elected PM.Don't forget he won a national mandate for his constitution - which if nothing else demonstrates a level of support it's important not to underestimate.

I doubt whether your views on Prayuth are much different from mine.But we should be careful not to pretend there aren't strong winds blowing in his favour.That said I think the course being plotted is exceedingly dangerous as anyone with knowledge of Thai history would understand.But it's Songkran now and my coffee awaits.The future can be considered on another day.

I actually have a huge variety of Thai Friends. Many are in Bangkok. Factory owners, lawyers, educators. So maybe we do have different types of friends, red one's and yellow ones' and disgusted ones. The one thing they all do have in common saying: How do you fight the military! so is the only place it is snagged up in at getting Junta out and reformed elections. But the Junta has already sliced and warped the constitution, so it is not a fair constitution at all. It is a do as I tell you, but not as I do doctrine. Our views are perhaps close as reading your statement.