Best way to cycle visa runs?

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

its a good way to do away with visa runs IMO,

you still get to live in tropical climate, just minus visa runs, minus visa hassle, freedom to plan long term economy, relaxed way of life not being at mercy of immigration officers with a bad hair day

Not minus visa runs, you can't stay long in the Dutch part, don't know about the French part.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not minus visa runs, you can't stay long in the Dutch part, don't know about the French part.

i'm a EU citizen, NL saint kitten is as much an EU province as any NL province in europe, thus: its mine to live on until death if only i can make it there

4 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i'm a EU citizen, NL saint kitten is as much an EU province as any NL province in europe, thus: its mine to live on until death if only i can make it there

The NL part of Saint Martin is a constituent country and does not belong to the EU, so you can't just live there. You can only stay in the french part without worrying about visas (if you are citizen of a country belonging to the EU)

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

The NL part of Saint Martin is a constituent country and does not belong to the EU, so you can't just live there. You can only stay in the french part without worrying about visas (if you are citizen of a country belonging to the EU)

ah ! ok, thanks.

is there any list of islands that i can live on indefinitely ?

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Dutch overseas territories

Six territories of the Netherlands — all of which are Caribbean islands — have OCT status. As such, they benefit from being able to have their own export and import policy to and from the EU, while still having access to receive various EU funds (i.e. from the European Development Fund).> The inhabitants of the islands are EU citizens owing to their Dutch citizenship <

if they are EU citizens, that should mean they are free to move as they see fit within EU, and the other way around other EU members should be free to live on those islands, according to my logic

On 4/13/2018 at 4:12 AM, onera1961 said:

Even in the US and UK, employers hiring illegal workers don't face decades of prison

Yes - this is a massive problem, which combined with far too many work-visas and "legal" immigration policies, is systematically destroying our former middle-class populations.   

Let us hope these mistakes, some of which (work-visas) are being repeated in Thailand, are soon reversed, for the betterment of Thai citizens.

You didnt mention how long you'd be ok with being outside Thailand between entries. I've had 10 entries in a row on current passport since clearing a long overstay, no issues but I was out almost as long as I was in. 2 months in, 2 months out, 2 months in, 1.5 months out, etc. extending every entry to the max. I made a thread if you search my profile, where I took pics of all the stamps, 7 visa exemptions in a row then an SETV, since that thread Ive had 2 more exemptions 

If youre trying to do as close as possible to 365 days a year in Thailand, do Ed visas, thats what Im doing now, as a break from all that travelling. Ive done a Thai language ed visa before but it was on my previous passport, so Ill do it again, then again with Japanese. 2 yrs. Then renew passport and do both again. 

So far I havent been denied, been living in Thailand nearly 10 years. 19 more until I turn 50 and am on easy street with retirement extensions

Edited by jspill

On 4/16/2018 at 12:14 PM, jspill said:

So far I havent been denied, been living in Thailand nearly 10 years. 19 more until I turn 50 and am on easy street with retirement extensions

Lon way to go buddy. You really love Thailand.

On 4/17/2018 at 12:14 AM, jspill said:

You didnt mention how long you'd be ok with being outside Thailand between entries. I've had 10 entries in a row on current passport since clearing a long overstay, no issues but I was out almost as long as I was in. 2 months in, 2 months out, 2 months in, 1.5 months out, etc. extending every entry to the max. I made a thread if you search my profile, where I took pics of all the stamps, 7 visa exemptions in a row then an SETV, since that thread Ive had 2 more exemptions 

If youre trying to do as close as possible to 365 days a year in Thailand, do Ed visas, thats what Im doing now, as a break from all that travelling. Ive done a Thai language ed visa before but it was on my previous passport, so Ill do it again, then again with Japanese. 2 yrs. Then renew passport and do both again. 

OP here.  Nice to see one post about SE Asia on these past 2 page.  Haha

How long do I want to be outside of Thailand?

For the next year or so I want to stay in Thailand the whole time because it's the right combo of affordable and decent accomidation for me.  Seems harder to find nice short-term apartments in Vietnam/Philippines/Malaysia etc for around $400, which is what I pay in Bangkok.  When I look online, the rooms in those price ranges have weird deal-breakers like no kitchenette, curfews, 1 year contracts, or shower gets the whole bathroom wet type of nonsense.  Later on, when I have more money (hopefully), getting a $800 Airbnb in Vietnam or something won't be a problem.  Then I'd prefer to do 3 months stints in other countries, and maybe around 50% in Thailand.  That will be my ideal situation.  But for now, I don't think I can afford decent, short-term accommodation in other countries.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong tho.

ED Visa?

I've done this before and maxed it out.  Can I do it again?  I've spent about 12 years in Thailand.  Mostly conservatively.  Recently I spent a year outside, and since I came back I been here 10 months and got a new passport now with 1 SETV visa in it.  I think I had about 3 years on an ED Visa for Thai Language in the past (maybe more).  And maybe 1 more year for Russian.  Since I have a new passport now, does that mean I can do it again?  I suspect they'd have records on me so even with a new passport, the ministry of Education would be like "nope you can't do this again, nice try jerk".

Edited by asdfrules

47 minutes ago, asdfrules said:

OP here.  Nice to see one post about SE Asia on these past 2 page.  Haha

How long do I want to be outside of Thailand?

For the next year or so I want to stay in Thailand the whole time because it's the right combo of affordable and decent accomidation for me.  Seems harder to find nice short-term apartments in Vietnam/Philippines/Malaysia etc for around $400, which is what I pay in Bangkok.  When I look online, the rooms in those price ranges have weird deal-breakers like no kitchenette, curfews, 1 year contracts, or shower gets the whole bathroom wet type of nonsense.  Later on, when I have more money (hopefully), getting a $800 Airbnb in Vietnam or something won't be a problem.  Then I'd prefer to do 3 months stints in other countries, and maybe around 50% in Thailand.  That will be my ideal situation.  But for now, I don't think I can afford decent, short-term accommodation in other countries.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong tho.

ED Visa?

I've done this before and maxed it out.  Can I do it again?  I've spent about 12 years in Thailand.  Mostly conservatively.  Recently I spent a year outside, and since I came back I been here 10 months and got a new passport now with 1 SETV visa in it.  I think I had about 3 years on an ED Visa for Thai Language in the past (maybe more).  And maybe 1 more year for Russian.  Since I have a new passport now, does that mean I can do it again?  I suspect they'd have records on me so even with a new passport, the ministry of Education would be like "nope you can't do this again, nice try jerk".

I'm doing Ed visa again on a new passport, they were able to process my application. Then for the 3 month extensions, my school has a special contact at immigration, when I turn up I simply call her and get a guaranteed extension for a small extra fee. Seen lots of other thaivisa posts about extra fees for the extensions too. In the range of 3000-5000 instead of 1900. Mine is 3400.

You could also do Japanese instead of Thai. 

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1