Most exciting motorcycle you ever ridden

Moo du

14 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Apparently had a power band about 2,000 RPM wide?  Off - On - Off. Raw horsepower.  Hey, it's dirt track.  Let the kid worry about handling.

Yep bit Wild West back then .. Those things are part speedway bikes on acid needing the most judicious of throttle applications when power sliding off bends lest you wander too far into the deadly zone of the power band after which everything goes topsy turvy .. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Here's another one no-one will to ride unless you have big dosh.

Another Honda engineering out the box project V4 32 valve.

1554792795_nrv.jpg.1c0d01b039c989a3650843f615efeeaa.jpg

312906983_vnr.jpg.6fc8f29c952d3a098015273ccee093e3.jpg

1724104995_nrp.jpg.c6cf203f9600afaaf0d4ed0bceaf0514.jpg

Ahh yes the NR750 .. There was one of these hanging around in Pattaya 'bout 10 yrs ago , the only other one I've seen in the flesh was in a dealership showroom .. Thanks man .. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Here's another one no-one will to ride unless you have big dosh.

Another Honda engineering out the box project V4 32 valve.

1554792795_nrv.jpg.1c0d01b039c989a3650843f615efeeaa.jpg

312906983_vnr.jpg.6fc8f29c952d3a098015273ccee093e3.jpg

1724104995_nrp.jpg.c6cf203f9600afaaf0d4ed0bceaf0514.jpg

2 other super rare 70's birds from the house of Yamaha were the GL750 and RZ rotary .. The rotary was developed around the same time as Suzuki's RE5 rotary but it seems Yamaha were reluctant to push ahead with production for various reasons .. The GL750 was a 4 cyl 2 stroke that Yamaha helped develop a fuel injection system for and was to have been their headboy in the big bike class up against the Suzook GT750 and Kawasaki's mental KH750 but Yamaha it is said sensed the wind of change was blowing against big 2 strokes and chose instead to develop a 4 stroke , the TX750 .. A choice that is now seen as the correct one as both the Kawa and Suzook were dropped by the mid'dish to late 70's .. 

IMG_20180715_070113.jpg

IMG_20180715_070025.jpg

IMG_20180715_065958.jpg

• Like 1

R1 is hard to beat

Used to commute to bkk on it daily

Felt like everything else was going in slow motion late at night on viphawadi rangsit

Had to sell it or I would have gotten killed, too hard to ride it slow

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

2 other super rare 70's birds from the house of Yamaha were the GL750 and RZ rotary .. The rotary was developed around the same time as Suzuki's RE5 rotary but it seems Yamaha were reluctant to push ahead with production for various reasons .. The GL750 was a 4 cyl 2 stroke that Yamaha helped develop a fuel injection system for and was to have been their headboy in the big bike class up against the Suzook GT750 and Kawasaki's mental KH750 but Yamaha it is said sensed the wind of change was blowing against big 2 strokes and chose instead to develop a 4 stroke , the TX750 .. A choice that is now seen as the correct one as both the Kawa and Suzook were dropped by the mid'dish to late 70's .. 

IMG_20180715_070113.jpg

IMG_20180715_070025.jpg

IMG_20180715_065958.jpg

Yes Honda never liked 2 stokes I think at the time they got involved with the flow but 2 stokes had to go as in MotoGP, and IMHO opinion good.

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes Honda never liked 2 stokes I think at the time they got involved with the flow but 2 stokes had to go as in MotoGP, and IMHO opinion good.

Indeed Sir .. Honda resisted the rampaging 2 strokes of the 60/70's staying true to the 4 stroke principle but in racing as the NR500 of the late 70's showed it was an uphill struggle culminating in big H thereselves building stroker GP bikes like the truly evil NSR's .. But since the Motogp class returned to 4 strokes Honda are again arguably the best on the grid .. Personally the CBX1000 of the late 70's layed out what Honda could do not withstanding the mostest biggest selling ve-hickle of all time by a long way is also a Honda 4 stroke .. The Cub .. 

IMG_20180715_122212.jpg

IMG_20180715_122250.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

The Honda CB750 maybe more than any other motorcycle from Japan was the one that signalled the beginning of the end of the Brit bike industry as up until this came out Japan was considered a small bike maker who couldn't make big stuff .. Classic Brit motor industry indifference that also pervaded the car industry at the same time .. This baby blew that myth away totally .. 5 speed , electric-start , front disc , super-smooth ride , Honda reliable , a looker with some real cool colours available and cheap compared to some of the competition .. Probably one of THE bikes of the 20th century .. 

IMG_20180715_152843.jpg

Yabbut.

Was it the most EXCITING motorcycle YOU have ever ridden?

The first “heavy” motorbike I bought was the Yamaha VMAX 1200. Super fast but super dangerous. Didn’t had a good road feeling. I am still alive because I sold it before it could kill me.
In Thailand 2001, I had a 1000 CBR fantastic machine but since we are not allowed to enjoy the highway not much fun left and I swapped it for a BMW 650 enduro. Didn’t like the vibration (1 cylinder) today I have no bike anymore, got scared and that’s IMO the moment to quit. I enjoy cars now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

The Honda CB750 maybe more than any other motorcycle from Japan was the one that signalled the beginning of the end of the Brit bike industry as up until this came out Japan was considered a small bike maker who couldn't make big stuff .. Classic Brit motor industry indifference that also pervaded the car industry at the same time .

For me I think it was the intro of the Honda 250cc CB as that's when I compared the British oil-leaking clunkers to these gleaming newcomers that two of my friends bought. The Hondas ticked over like sewing machines, whereas the others sounded like steam trains at rest!

I saw a type of clinical beauty in those, which I couldn't see in the old outdated AJS, Royal Enfield and some Triumphs, or my brother-in-law's Velocette Venom come to that. Norton did try with a new 400cc electric start, but too late.

They are cheap and nasty and won't last was the outcry at the time...………...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yabbut.

For me at that time on my CB750, yes. It wallowed a bit but in other ways it was flawless. Smooth, reliable, and good power at highway speeds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

For me, this one heralded the beginning of the end of the British motorcycle industry.

Honda Dream C77 1960-1967

2135199401_HondaDreamC771960-1967.jpg.8981f00f5961928dbc6edaab73ef2a79.jpg

Forget what us English rockers use to call em, it was insulting.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

They are cheap and nasty and won't last was the outcry at the time...…...

Haha yea I recall all the dyed in the wool traditional bikers saying the same .. As they reached for another tube of hermetite gasket sealer .. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yabbut.

Sorry Guzz' I got carried away wandering down memory lane with that one .. The first time I rode a CB back in the 70's after getting into bikes via angry buzzing 2 strokes  the 750 was a revelation .. Smooth , fast ( for the time ) well built and with 4 exhausts pointing out the back .. But I retain a fondness for the madness strokers of the 70's even though they ain't really practical anymore .. 

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

For me, this one heralded the beginning of the end of the British motorcycle industry.

The CB72 250cc was the one I was meaning and it looked just like this...……..my mistake!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lvr181 said:

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Forget what us English rockers use to call em, it was insulting.  

Hideous?

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

For me I think it was the intro of the Honda 250cc CB as that's when I compared the British oil-leaking clunkers to these gleaming newcomers that two of my friends bought. The Hondas ticked over like sewing machines, whereas the others sounded like steam trains at rest!

I saw a type of clinical beauty in those, which I couldn't see in the old outdated AJS, Royal Enfield and some Triumphs, or my brother-in-law's Velocette Venom come to that. Norton did try with a new 400cc electric start, but too late.

Yep. Sewing machines not proper engines - correct. Cheap yes. In hindsight, nasty - no.

But reading the above, you and me are on different sides of the fence. No problem, i'm generally always the odd one out....?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes for sure Honda were already signalling their intent during the 60's with the CB pressed frame bikes and of course the ubiquitous Cub but the Brit' bike industry continued to believe the notion that Japan only made small bikes and couldn't do the bigger stuff which is why the debut of the CB750 in the late 60'd not only stunned but flat footed them also and from that moment on they were playing catch trying invigorate old designs like the Commando , Bonneville and Trident .. As I'm sure you know anyway Kawasaki were ready to debut a 750cc 4 cyl bike in the very late 60's but Honda holeshotted them with the CB 750 so Kawasaki went away and redesigned their bike into the apocalyptical Z1 which was then in production by '72 , 3 yrs after the Honda debuted .. The Brit' bike industries response was to put electric starters on engine's that weren't designed for them and already dodgy electrical systems that couldn't handle them .. It took 'till nearly the mid 70's for the Commando with its pre war design engine to get an electric starter ( which never worked that well ) .. And by the time they had managed to rehash the Trident into the half decent T160v the damage was already done and a terminal tail spin into bankruptcy and oblivion was almost inevitable .. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

CB750 in the late 60'd not only stunned but flat footed them also and from that moment on they were playing catch trying invigorate old designs Bonneville

Yeah but who copied who. !

300px-T140.JPG.8046a8b46ecaad93756b0709ec1eccb3.JPGhonda-750_red_4.jpg.0f1e3f270347dd8e76c4152109270ad6.jpg

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

It took 'till nearly the mid 70's for the Commando with its pre war design engine to get an electric starter ( which never worked that well ) ..

I seem to recall a Norton 400cc bike with an electric start sometime in the late 60s? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I seem to recall a Norton 400cc bike with an electric start sometime in the late 60s? 

Indeed they did but that in itself was a bit of a pig in a poke that suffered reliability issue's that they never learned from when it came to the 750's and later 850 electric start during the 70's .. just at the time they needed it with Japan storming ashore with good reliable cheap big ( ger ) bikes .. 

IMG_20180716_120957.jpg

• Thanks 1