Most exciting motorcycle you ever ridden

Moo du

Sorry, no photos.  USA in the early 70's a really old Yamaha 650 chopped, medium rise handle bars, with straight pipes.  Someone hit me.

Then a bit later, a more modern 1 year old Kawasaki 650 with drive shaft and LCD panels.  Someone hit me.

Never rode one since, even the lightweights they ride here.  I will ride on the back when my wife drives her Honda Wave locally because she is so overly cautious and experienced.  My Thai car license is enough and no desire for a motorbike license.  I have never wanted to jump on her bike even in our Issan village.  Totally lost interest after my 2nd one.

32 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

Sorry, no photos.  USA in the early 70's a really old Yamaha 650 chopped, medium rise handle bars, with straight pipes.  Someone hit me.

Then a bit later, a more modern 1 year old Kawasaki 650 with drive shaft and LCD panels.  Someone hit me.

Never rode one since, even the lightweights they ride here.  I will ride on the back when my wife drives her Honda Wave locally because she is so overly cautious and experienced.  My Thai car license is enough and no desire for a motorbike license.  I have never wanted to jump on her bike even in our Issan village.  Totally lost interest after my 2nd one.

Oh......jeez you're bad luck going somewhere to happen. :sad:

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 9:46 AM, lvr181 said:

Oh......jeez you're bad luck going somewhere to happen. :sad:

I stick to cars and pickups so no problem.  I don't believe in luck of any type but I did get the message that I probably would not walk away from the next one.  Way too painful to repeat anyway.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:25 AM, canthai55 said:

And ignition systems which were crap - by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness

Fitted Japanese to my BSA - never a problem after that.

Yabbut...

People have moaned about Brit bike reliability for decades.

Yet it was the tight arsed, backward thinking management that insisted on ever decreasing price margins from component suppliers. Starting in the early '60's.

You want points, condensors, alternators and switchgear for cents? Lucas will supply.

You want carbs made out of re-gurgitated cooking utensils? Amal will supply.

Actually offer better pricing and the end product will improve. But by then Brit bike factories were run by bean counters and suits who were anything but enthusiasts.

There were no bad or worse than average carbs (Monoblocs) or ignition/charging systems (Lucas/BTH magnetos and dynamos) in the 40's and 50's as Lucas and Amal made stuff to a certain degree of quality , rather than down to a price which factory management insisted on in the 60's and onward.

• Like 2

I did a little power slide in a gravel lot on a Suzuki GT750 water-cooled 2-stroke back in the mid-1970s.  It was exciting for a few seconds, especially with the inertia of the drive train and the weight of the bike (~ 230 kg ).  It was a customer's bike, so I couldn't crash it.

18 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Most exciting, read scary, motorcycle i have ever ridden was a Suzuki TLR 1000 v twin.

The TL was a nice bike and the SV and always thought the TL gave birth to the Hayabusa not everyone's cup of tea in looks but I've never ridden anything more impressive than a Hayabusa.

Ran through a barbed-wire fence on my old Honda ‘65 back in ‘72. Nasty gash on my chest. Kind of exciting.

T-boned a an old Lincoln in ‘78 on my ‘76 Honda XL350, not a scratch. Pretty exciting

Got clothes-lined on a ‘76 Honda CJ360T, broken collarbone, ribs, scull-fracture. Real exciting.

Got laid in Florida between Orlando and Kissimmee
on a ‘73 Honda CB750-4. Even more exciting.

Riding up and down the driveway on my new-to-me early 60s Rupp mini-bike. Most exciting...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My current ride in the Uk, 1290 Superduke GT, 173 hp and insane power, with amazing electronics to keep it from killing you.

Planted and so well engineered, but without a doubt the most exciting bike I've ever ridden. back to Thailand Sunday and to my trusty 2010 Versys 650, oh well.....

BT440e8RRg6rXSs+9EtZyA.jpg

MgKcGdlQRbi55HPzbrXmCA.jpg

Edited by prestburypark
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, prestburypark said:

My current ride in the Uk, 1290 Superduke GT, 173 hp and insane power, with amazing electronics to keep it from killing you.

Planted and so well engineered, but without a doubt the most exciting bike I've ever ridden. back to Thailand Sunday and to my trusty 2010 Versys 650, oh well.....

BT440e8RRg6rXSs+9EtZyA.jpg

MgKcGdlQRbi55HPzbrXmCA.jpg

Radical.

Bikes never kill you, the riders do that of their own accord (lack of riding skill for the bike they are in control of - plus some other external factors).

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Radical.

Bikes never kill you, the riders do that of their own accord (lack of riding skill for the bike they are in control of - plus some other external factors).

Disagree.

The Kawasaki H1 and H2 500 and 750cc triple 2 strokes of the 70's.

The early hi-bar Kawasaki Z1's.

The Suzuki TLR 1000 v twin, the early first version with a rotary damper rear suspension.

Amongst others (mainly Japanese)...

These were all "widowmakers".

Bikes designed for the experienced rider, but that had such vicious handling characteristics, they could throw you off in a heartbeat down a straight road. Ever heard of an uncontrollable tank slapper?

No rider aids and electronics in the good 'ole days...………….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Disagree.

The Suzuki TLR 1000 v twin, the early first version with a rotary damper rear suspension.

Bikes designed for the experienced rider, but that had such vicious handling characteristics, they could throw you off in a heartbeat down a straight road. Ever heard of an uncontrollable tank slapper?

My point is that without all the gizmos it would be a widow maker too, as it happens it is a joy to ride and safe as houses

9 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You forgot the front brakes on any stock HD ever made...…..

One exception - my FXDXT had dual discs front which were not bad stock and improved with the addition of full floating calipers.

But agree - generally stock HD brakes are not world standard, like many other brands

21 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Disagree.

As I said previously "..lack of riding skill for the bike they are in control of..." I have raced bikes and cars for many years and you just don't get on or in one and go flat out before finding out what the capabilities/idiosyncrasies of either. If you had read near the beginning of this forum I had also ridden Kawaskai triple 2 strokes when introduced. :thumbsup:

On 5/31/2018 at 6:19 PM, lvr181 said:

If you had read near the beginning of this forum I had also ridden Kawaskai triple 2 strokes when introduced. :thumbsup:

If true you would not be arguing the point. My first was a white 69 - up to a green 74. Raced them - drag racing.

No matter what your skill level - even if your name is Kenny Roberts - those bikes would kill you on the road. Spent years looking for the hinge hidden under the seat

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

those bikes would kill you on the road.

would  could maybe a better word to use?

My observations are merely from years of experience but YMMV (your mileage may vary). :thumbsup:

BTW - No one I knew died from riding them but no doubt some did and to be known as "widow makers" is probably embellishing the 'reputation' a bit.

As seen from the road trauma here in Thailand, motorcycles (of any size) do get people killed. Obviously, little protection in the event of a crash and generally, riders are hardly going to suit up like a modern MotoGP rider.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2018 at 3:07 AM, transam said:

Sorry off topic but just been listening to one of my favourite pieces of music..Wait until it is wound up near the end...:stoner:

PS. I was lucky enough to listen to it live....

The Orchestra .. 

IMG_20180714_225718.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I like the video where Kenny Roberts rode a couple laps on the Yamaha TZ-750 dirt tracker many years later.  What a beast! 

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/10/kenny-roberts-on-the-two-stroke-yamaha-flat-tracker-at-indy-mile-highlights-video

Indeed t'was a beast .. Almost exudes an air of malevolence just on its stand .. 

IMG_20180714_231739.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Indeed t'was a beast .. Almost exudes an air of malevolence just on its stand .. .

Apparently had a power band about 2,000 RPM wide?  Off - On - Off. Raw horsepower.  Hey, it's dirt track.  Let the kid worry about handling.