‘Don't Dress Sexy’ Advice Triggers an Echo of #MeToo in Thailand

webfact

‘Don't Dress Sexy’ Advice Triggers an Echo of #MeToo in Thailand

By Natnicha Chuwiruch

-- #DontTellMeHowToDress hashtag created by Thai-American model

-- Movement is rejoinder to suggestion women dress conservatively

A Thai government official’s suggestion that women should dress conservatively to avoid sexual harassment during the nation’s new year festival has sparked a rebuttal under the hashtag #DontTellMeHowToDress.

Crowded water-gun battles that leave revelers soaked are a distinctive feature of the Songkran celebrations from Friday through Sunday, prompting the official to warn women against wearing revealing outfits. At least one survey indicates harassment is pervasive during the festival.

Cindy Bishop, a Bangkok-based Thai-American model, actress and television celebrity, said she created #DontTellMeHowToDress to put the onus back on how men behave instead of the way women dress. Her video on the topic has been viewed almost 500,000 times on Facebook and Instagram, and the hashtag has created more buzz in Thailand than #MeToo.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-12/-don-t-dress-sexy-advice-triggers-an-echo-of-metoo-in-thailand

-- Bloomberg 2018-04-12

• Sad 1

A cat can look at a King, or even a Queen; my standard response to leering accusations. Yeah, touching is a no-no.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

But this would be against their natural behaviour...  :-(

Very true for younger women, the instinct to display is inbuilt.

3 hours ago, JOC said:

Seriously girls....If you join the party dressed like this....What do you expect?

Not PC....but of course you will get a pad or two on the butt....

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen....!!

sexy-songkran.jpg

No doubt that have all been 'forced' to drink alcohol and don wet T-shirts by evil, groping men. They look sooooo - victimized  (not)    Lol. 
#GirlsJustWantToHaveFun

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

A woman has the right to dress, a man to look, but touch... only and only under mutual agreement.

On this note I don't really know why whipping out your willy is frowned upon, but you can hang out your bare butt if you're a female. Just comparing the tools of the trade, due diligence before business, eh? 

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

This subject always brings out the best ...victim blamers in town!
What is so damn difficult to understand?

A woman can dress as she pleases and YOU are still NOT allowed to touch her, even if she decides to dress in her birthday- suite!

It is really not that difficult!

Yes, yes.

It's like riding a motorcycle... and choosing to ride aggressively on the most dangerous roads late at night because you have the right to.  Hey, as long as you are not breaking the rules it's your business only, right?

That doesn't make you invulnerable against drunk/crazy drivers that don't give a <deleted>.  If you get killed it doesn't matter who is to blame.

Would you let your daughter go out dressed like JOC's picture?  They might attract the attention of the drunk horny guys that don't give a <deleted> whether they're allowed to touch or not.  That is the point.

Posting the pic again for good measure, lol.

sexy-songkran.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

If you can’t refrain from touching another person because you’re that sexually depraved, I suggest you stay home and enjoy Song Kran in an ice cold bath. 

Think about it. Someone who is so incapable of thinking clearly that they physically can’t stop themselves from touching another person. That’s not a person I wanna be around and I’m a man. That person ‘is’ a huge problem. 

Unfortunately those guys are out there.  They are every year.

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

But this would be against their natural behaviour...  :-(

I know you are being tongue in cheek, but it's a fact that respectable Thai women dress pretty conservatively in public. For example, the beaches, even those in tourist towns, aren't exactly awash with local girls wearing bikinis. 

Most of the girls who flash their flesh during Songkran work in bars, massage parlours etc and the amount they display is a rough guide their status in Thai society.

Yes, I know it's blatant hypocrisy, but that's Thainess for you.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YTP said:

Yes, yes.

It's like riding a motorcycle... and choosing to ride aggressively on the most dangerous roads late at night because you have the right to.  Hey, as long as you are not breaking the rules it's your business only, right?

That doesn't make you invulnerable against drunk/crazy drivers that don't give a <deleted>.  If you get killed it doesn't matter who is to blame.

Would you let your daughter go out dressed like JOC's picture?  They might attract the attention of the drunk horny guys that don't give a <deleted> whether they're allowed to touch or not.  That is the point.

Posting the pic again for good measure, lol.

sexy-songkran.jpg

Ridiculous false equivalency. Riding a bike dangerously or doing anything stupid, dumb, illegal, etc, lies solely on the person doing it. You’re responsible for your actions. Dressing sexily isn’t illegal. Groping women is. You’re responsible for your own actions. 

The point some of us are trying to address is ‘there are no excuses’. If you go round grabbing women, you are to blame 100%. She is to blame 0%. The bigger picture? People might

think twice before they grab someone knowing they have no excuses and it’s completely wrong. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

I know you are being tongue in cheek, but it's a fact that respectable Thai women dress pretty conservatively in public. For example, the beaches, even those in tourist towns, aren't exactly awash with local girls wearing bikinis. 

Most of the girls who flash their flesh during Songkran work in bars, massage parlours etc and the amount they display is a rough guide their status in Thai society.

Yes, I know it's blatant hypocrisy, but that's Thainess for you.

Welcome to the 21st century! 
I know a bunch (as in more then a hand full) women with "respectable" jobs and they like to dress sexy (at times) or like to wear bikinis.

To think, that all these women are hookers or sluts, doe really show a certain mindset and you, bringing that up on this thread, makes you no better!

The times they are a changin'!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutsMango said:

Stick your #MeToo #IntoYou and #LeaveNormalPeopleAlone

Keep your hands off people who've not agreed to be groped and the will leave you alone.

I don't know any man who respects women who has a problem with #MeToo, but of course Thailand may attract a biased sample of men.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Keep your hands off people who've not agreed to be groped and the will leave you alone.

I don't know any man who respects women who has a problem with #MeToo, but of course Thailand may attract a biased sample of men.

Because it is feminist fabricated BS... of course no woman (any human being in fact) should be harrased

But you don't need some stupid hashtag to understand that.

Some woman get upset that you hold a door for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_Too_movement#Criticism

2 minutes ago, NutsMango said:

Because it is feminist fabricated BS... of course no woman (any human being in fact) should be harrased

Oh, it's the hashtag you object to. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NutsMango said:

This is different. I’m not a fan of a lot of modern feminist ideas either. But this one is simple; don’t lay hands on people. It’s really easy and defintely something people should hashtag. 

Don’t equate bad ideas with decent ones because the person delivering them is the same. 

• Like 1