Water pump pipe size

zlodnick

10 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I believe the OP says 10m of pipe with water level starting at 15ft.

i believe...

If you have 1" pipe from the bore to the pump inlet, the water level is 15 m down.....

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Artisi said:
10 hours ago, Naam said:

with the water level 15m down there's nothing to calculate if the surface mounted pump is not a jet pump. :whistling:

really depends on how pedantic you want to be, but you're  correct , a 1" pipe x 10m on the inlet side of the pump wouldn't /shouldn't  cause any problem.

there's nothing pedantic drawing somebody's attention to the fact that a surface mounted pump cannot suck from a water level down 15 meters unless it's a jet pump. period!

pump impeller location? submerged or at ground level?

2.5MW vertical sea water pump and gazing down into the pump bay where the impeller resides...30 meters down into a concrete darkness redolent of incipient horrible death...they don't pay me enough fer this shit...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

5 hours ago, Naam said:

there's nothing pedantic drawing somebody's attention to the fact that a surface mounted pump cannot suck from a water level down 15 meters unless it's a jet pump. period!

My apologies, miss read the 15m as 15ft. 

On 13/04/2018 at 6:55 PM, Artisi said:

He was talking about 10 m of pipe with   a water level of 15m. 

Seems I cocked-up, saying 15m in lieu of 15ft, I'll stand in the corner for 30 minutes?. 

2 minutes ago, Wirejerker said:

That’s an excellent result. Check your flow rate is not to much for the pump. If that’s Okay check the motor it could have a dud capacitor or winding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP, was the pump supplied as a manufacturers assembled unit or is it a pump / motor unit assembled by the local pump shop ,  normally manufacturer assembled units have a pump / motor combination for operation under any condition, ie. motor won't overload under any operating condition.

Thanks again,

I turn down the flow rate and get the same results, shut off after 10 min.

This week, after the fun is over, I'm going to buy a new submersible. Then I'll have a new set of challenges. I'll need to learn how to splice the cable so it's waterproof and decide if I want to install a check valve or not. The last submersible had no checkvalve so the water would siphon back down the well when I shut it off. That was a good thing when I pulled the pump out the other day. It was all this old guy could do to pull up the pump. If it was full of water, I'm sure I couldn't do it. 

No problem, I like a challenge and gives me something to do.

Thanks again.  Z

1 hour ago, zlodnick said:

Thanks again,

I turn down the flow rate and get the same results, shut off after 10 min.

This week, after the fun is over, I'm going to buy a new submersible. Then I'll have a new set of challenges. I'll need to learn how to splice the cable so it's waterproof and decide if I want to install a check valve or not. The last submersible had no checkvalve so the water would siphon back down the well when I shut it off. That was a good thing when I pulled the pump out the other day. It was all this old guy could do to pull up the pump. If it was full of water, I'm sure I couldn't do it. 

No problem, I like a challenge and gives me something to do.

Thanks again.  Z

Under water level cable splice or above water level?

Artisi,  Under water,

The pump I looked at comes with a flat wire about 1 meter long. 

Lots of youtube videos, but not sure if they have whats needed here.

There's a real electrician next to the pump shop, so he can probably fix me up.

27 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

Artisi,  Under water,

The pump I looked at comes with a flat wire about 1 meter long. 

Lots of youtube videos, but not sure if they have whats needed here.

There's a real electrician next to the pump shop, so he can probably fix me up.

Underwater splicing is not for the inexperienced, a hole /leak sufficient for one molecule of water to pass will result in failure - eventually. 

Edited by Artisi

2 hours ago, Wirejerker said:

Pass on that pump. Get one with a 10 meter lead on it. You won’t be sorry

+ 10^6 on that, no way I'm going to be making a splice that's going to be under several metres of water.

Get a pump with a long lead.