Expats detest SongKran

YetAnother

Sure not All, but the great majority of expats who have endured at least 3 SongKrans., Expats detest SongKran.

Why ?

To me it boils down to Disruptions.  Most of us, older and retired, are used to our available opportunities here; we identify and seek the positive ones for our individual tastes and likewise, identify and avoid the negative ones.  That all changes during the 10 days of Songkran.  If not in bangkok, the local populations double and the additions are often bangkok people on holiday , with bangkok attitudes, and bangkok driving habits.  There are twice as many vehicles on the streets and roads.  Locals often close their businesses, such as restaurants, to attend to their own family affairs.  Government services including Banks are unavailable or highly restricted hours.  So instead of having N options, say restaurants, we now have N/3 and they are now inhabited by bangkok people. 

Shifting to Bangkok, i recall years and years ago, in a downtown area that seemed deserted, my female bodyguard and i hailed a taxi and it took us 7 tries to find an open restaurant.

All about disruptions.