Buddhist Morality teacher rapes young Bangkok boys instead of ordaining them

rooster59

6 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Why not? The odious Catholic Church offers up many examples of preventing and even perverting the course of justice over paedophile priests. bishops etc. Boston ring a bell? Similarly, we are being made aware of how the Buddhist hierarchy here in Thailand is trying to deflect, not to mention widespread community efforts to cover up bad behaviour by monks. Religion, whether catholic or Buddhist or any other, is about power, and as long as this is a raison d'etre for its existence, then it remains open to being pilloried - and rightly so.

I understand your POV but I also understand that there are good people in religion and are drawn to be religious. Based on anthropology and any casual study of the history of world cultures, it really appears to be hard wired in our brains. So to attack everything about religion to be toxic is basically asserting that humanity itself is rotten. I'm not ready to go there although there is ample evidence to support that argument. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I understand your POV but I also understand that there are good people in religion and are drawn to be religious. Based on anthropology and any casual study of the history of world cultures, it really appears to be hard wired in our brains. So to attack everything about religion to be toxic is basically asserting that humanity itself is rotten. I'm not ready to go there although there is ample evidence to support that argument. 

On the question of religion and those who follow it: I think the problem is that few of us can live up to the embodied ideals of a Jesus or a Buddha. I don't think anyone (well, not too many, anyway) would call those individuals anything other than remarkable examples of a what a human being CAN be; but those who follow after them all too often fall short (I know I do!) ...

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Humanity is OK......when they are given the chance to be, often they aren't allowed this privilege.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I think the problem is that few of us can live up to the embodied ideals of a Jesus or a Buddha. I don't think anyone (well, not too many, anyway) would call those individuals anything other than remarkable examples of a what a human being CAN be; but those who follow after them all too often fall short (I know I do!) ...

Nobody gets straight A's all the time, the Buddha deserted his wife and child and left the palace to find truth, towards the end of his life he found it by shacking up with a rich widow. They are a bit coy about Jesus but he did manage to convince 12 men to desert their families and go for walks around the country begging.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Nobody gets straight A's all the time, the Buddha deserted his wife and child and left the palace to find truth, towards the end of his life he found it by shacking up with a rich widow. They are a bit coy about Jesus but he did manage to convince 12 men to desert their families and go for walks around the country begging.

Ha ha! I've never heard before in any history of the Buddha that he 'shacked up with a rich widow' at the end of his life (maybe that was in an alternate universe)! As far as I know, he remained celibate after becoming Awakened ('Buddha'). And his own wife and son joined him and learned and benefited from his wisdom later in their own lives - so his decision to leave his family in quest of Truth was not at all as bad as it might at first glance seem! Every action that we take has a mixture of consequences, good and bad; the important thing is that the good results should outweigh the bad! I think in the Buddha's case, most of us would agree that he was a pretty noble example of what a human being can be. He LIVED his truth (unlike in Thailand - where the great exemplary leaders say: 'Do as I say, not as I do')!

Edited by Eligius

On 14/04/2018 at 11:20 AM, worgeordie said:

The sad part is ,this will not be the first time he has done

this with other boys,let hope he never gets out......alive.

regards worgeordie

If it were my son, he wouldn't... 

• Like 1