Songkran traffic death toll climbs to 188 in 3 days

rooster59

A quality news report would not only report this years tolls, but also last years. Oh wait, but maybe last years numbers were worse. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Still below average compared to the 26000 a year they promise all the time.

26000 is from a fairy tale. In reality a lot more. They count only people who die at the scene. So you could add at least 20+% as UN does, which means 32000 thousand dead people. Horrible. This PM is for the bin 

I stopped reading thai visa some time ago. It's the same information all the time;

- killed on the roads
- a group of Thais attacked one person
- wife killed her husband, farang
- crackdown number xxxxx

- elections soon

...and the same comments under articles.

BOREDOM MAK MAK

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicebus said:

Good post .

Says it all really.

I drive a lot in LOS  ( push bikes / little motor bikes / big motor bikes / utes etc )..I know some freak could get me head on , but basically i drive defensively to survive . Its not that hard.

The thai folk think different to " us " ...just look at the trinkets/junk etc on the dash of trucks and cars to protect them . Its a different culture ...

They are actually mad cu%*

But we all love em.

It wont change in our life time .

You say you ride a pushbike and that you ride/ drive  defensively so do you have rearview mirrors on your bicycle because   what's coming behind you can be just as dangerous as something head on

5 hours ago, Borzandy said:

I had to drive a lot the last past 3 days, I don't understand why there are only 188 dead.

Today I drove over 500km and yesterday close to 200km. 

You are overreacting me think. 

People dye in traffiic? Yes sure, but who? It’s the stupid ones driving motorbike with no helmet. 

The traffic flow was great. I could cruise in 120-130km/h most of the time. 

But hey, old grumpy people should stay indoors so you not get splashed by water this days. 

Just now, moe666 said:

O the moaning and whining from the TV brigade. It is their country let them run as they see fit eventually they will do something but your whining doesn't change one thing

Guess you overlooked the fact that, however it isn't my country, I live here and am on the road amidst the killing bunch every day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martijn12345 said:

exactly. I dont get why every year they make a big deal over these numbers. If youbdivide total deaths a year in traffic by 52 the average week is much worse than this Songkran week.

That they do make a big deal, is evidence that the road carnage is much worse... why bother otherwise?

here is the low Thai government figures (which you read today) vs the internationally recognized higher figures (released annually)

7C2C03DE-3039-4D97-9EEF-E36879055258.png

8 hours ago, NormanW said:

Probably because the road traffic deaths are only ciunted if they die on the road. If they die on the way to or in hospital then they don't get counted in the figure!!!

Unbelievable mentality!!!

Sorry but you are wrong, the first figures that were released for day 1 was 39 deaths but now it has been adjusted up to 41 because there are 2 that have died in hospital from injuries received from an accident listed on day 1. The figures are adjusted every day with those that have died each day for the 7 days, the only ones that are not listed are those that have been injured in an accident in the 7 days and they die after the finish of the 7 days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Because nobody told you how many of the victims have passed away at the hospital or on the way to. 

Sorry jenny2017 but the 1st days figures have been updated from 39 to 41 so far because 2 people have died either on the way to or in hospital

39 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The figures are adjusted every day with those that have died each day for the 7 days,

Wonder if it's during water chucking times or on a 24 hour death watch from midnight to midnight?

Seems like the TVF criticism has really helped the last 10 years. Some of you take great pleasure in criticism and providing the perfect easy advice on what others should do. If you really cared you would actually do something productive and helpful.  But alas the easiest thing to do that requires no effort is to preach, bitch, moan and provide misinformation. Some of you are actually good at these nonproductive no effort activities. 

Much of the New Year's and Songkran road carnage stems from the en masse rush to return home for the holidays. Better public transportation, esp high-speed rail would help alleviate road carnage.

Combining water play with driving needs to stop, because alcohol inevitably gets thrown into the mix, making for a deadly combination.

A return to more subdued traditional Songkran activities emphasizing the spiritual blessing and life giving power of water would probably help reduce the Songkran traffic death toll as well.

Checkpoints and sobriety checks need to continue and be stepped up until the public gets the message that there is zero tolerance for drinking and driving. 

13 hours ago, buffallobill said:

My wife drove the pick up to the market this morning,  with 5 kids and 2 adults in the back of our pick up,  non of them sat in the cab,  and the 2 adults sat on plastic chairs,   as the floor was wet,  I told the Mrs how dangerous it would be if she had an emergency stop,  she just said  "farang think too much" 

But if she had had an accident and one of them had died or was seriously  injured  she would have  told you " why you dont tell me"

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ttl said:

Just checked highway 212 near my location

Water stations  opposite each other and complete with blow up pools and hoses.Occupiers were complaining as local water tower has run dry.

About half the utes passing are filled with people sitting high on the wellside and tailgate.(is that not illegal???) This provided an easy launch platform and a beer goes to the longest trajectory

Very typical performance for this area. Did  a few traffic counts  during the day and average is over 1000 cars & utes per hour,majority appear to be well above 90kph

Great money maker for a speed camera as the straight road is 4km long before a 35 degree curve which traps a few!

I believe the 35 degree curve would be better than the speed  camera:thumbsup:

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This is just getting worse by the day. I had hoped after just 39 on day one, this year might finally be the turning point, but obviously any message about safe and responsible driving has not registered at all out there. It is truly tragic that this happens every year with no end in sight.

Without a functional police force and known consequences for dangerous driving, individuals feel free to drive anyway they wish. Nothing changes.

• Like 1

Bravo Wake  UP  you are on to IT

Your constructive ideas please   put some meat in the sandwich please

1/

2/

3/

4/

5/

6/

plenty more lines available

17 hours ago, shady86 said:

Next year, they shall 'work harder' to reduce accidents and fatalities. emoji16.png

Yes, same media outcry and same lame approach to road rules for the remaining 359 days, but Politicians cannot count that much, only the useless dribble that comes out of a hole under their nose.