Have Thais got it right, and we've got it wrong?

Bangkok Barry

1 minute ago, ICECOOL said:

Interesting comments.  My gf is quite the opposite to what I have read here.  She is interested in more than Thailand and infact she talked about the Syrian situation with me yesterday. She has values which are quite western yet incredibly compasionate. She loves her soaps but also watches the news.  Not "educated" having left school at 13 to work in a factory to support her family but obviously intelligent. She is even a planner. 

I don't think you can generalise about Thai's as you cannot generalise about any country/race.

I note you stated GF,, there my friend is the difference! A GF game plan is marriage, a commitment and like a car salesman, the rules are the same, once sold, the game changes, you should know how a month after buying the car, how you get treated by the salesman! It normally is still good, but relationship is different.

• Confused 1

You would be surprised how much English Thai's understand, the problem is that speaking English is the problem. The Thai language is very poetic and uses phrases that relate mainly to metaphors, similes etc. and bares no resemblance to correct translation. So, its easier for them not to try to speak. If you speak Clean Basic English to most Thai's they will understand. But, they will not answer you. Most will understand you if you write down English too!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

YES! No matter, the moaning and complaining, she has in her Thai ways, taken care of me, and has been there for nearly 20years, I have learn to except that it is the Thai way, and a quick 'shut the <deleted> up' and move on to another subject. puts it out of mind. Like an Elephant she never forgets, brings it up when is is losing an argument. But, in her overall game plan, its doesn't seem to be a plot for bringing our relationship to an end. Perhaps it really is 'Till (natural) death pulls us apart!'   I hope!

I understand what you're talking about, and it's not for everyone to adapt to " Thai ways "

It didn't work so well in my relationships, but i am grateful for the experience.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife is pretty bright

It seems that we do not have the same understanding  about what is being bright...

So funny that your first words totally dismiss your whole post !

As poor as the curriculum in Thai schools can be, don't believe that the students don't want to learn.

They are thrilled when I pull out maps or talk about the places I've lived. They aren't given much Western History

but really want to learn.

Often my lesson plan would be sidetracked by a student asking a question. One day I got this from a grade 12.

"Teacher, what about gay and transgender rights in US, Aus, UK or Canada?"

OMG!   Ok we'll talk about this then.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ICECOOL said:

Interesting comments.  My gf is quite the opposite to what I have read here.  She is interested in more than Thailand and infact she talked about the Syrian situation with me yesterday. She has values which are quite western yet incredibly compasionate. She loves her soaps but also watches the news.  Not "educated" having left school at 13 to work in a factory to support her family but obviously intelligent. She is even a planner. 

I don't think you can generalise about Thai's as you cannot generalise about any country/race.

Yours might be an exception, but you are wrong to tell that we cannot generalize about Thai.

Of course we can ! I have dozens of girlfriends and dates master degree or phd educated, but they were all as dumb as the op girlfriend/wife !

I am sure to be allowed to generalize !!!

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, I'm american ? A typical jumping to the wrong conclusion fool. I used 9/11 as it was probably the biggest event on the planet so far this century and my wife had never heard of it. Personally as a Brit I keep informed and well educated of world events - something Thais do not. Suggest you re-read the original post , without your anti-American fixation. Not everyone who mentions 9/11 is a US person you know. 

Why was 9/11 the biggest event on the planet? There have been natural disasters with far more people killed, there have been wars in a number of countries, particularly African countries with far more casualties. From a western perspective probably you are correct, but isn't that the whole point of this thread at being able to look from different cultural perspectives.

• Like 1

That's because you think with flang brain being educated to question, Thai's are taught not to question "mai pen rai" attitude, maybe they have got it right, saves a lot of worrying as another poster said, worrying about something you can do sweet FA about

1 hour ago, peterquixote said:

My Thai wife didn't believe that man went to the moon. 

And mine never heard of The Beatles and the Stones. Just about heard the word Elvis. When I asked her about the 'CREATION' she didn't have any views whatsoever, but when I spelled it wrong and said the 'CRETIN' in Bangkok, she knew exactly who I was talking about.

29 minutes ago, gaff said:

I have dozens of girlfriends and dates master degree or phd educated, but they were all as dumb as the op girlfriend/wife !

I didn't suggest that my wife - not girlfriend/wife which was the first thing you were unable to comprehend - was dumb (second thing you were unable to comprehend). I said she wasn't concerned about things that don't affect her and she has no control over. The post was about whether that realistic attitude was right or wrong.

You really should understand what you are reading before commenting. If you have had dozens of highly educated girlfriends and dates perhaps none of them lasted as you were out of your depth with them.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, gaff said:

Yours might be an exception, but you are wrong to tell that we cannot generalize about Thai.

Of course we can ! I have dozens of girlfriends and dates master degree or phd educated, but they were all as dumb as the op girlfriend/wife !

I am sure to be allowed to generalize !!!

Like attracts like, perhaps?

:post-4641-1156694572:

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I didn't suggest that my wife - not girlfriend/wife which was the first thing you were unable to comprehend - was dumb (second thing you were unable to comprehend). I said she wasn't concerned about things that don't affect her and she has no control over. The post was about whether that realistic attitude was right or wrong.
You really should understand what you are reading before commenting.

I am sure that nobody is suggesting that your wife is dumb, and that word sounds slightly wrong to me.

Still, is it "realistic " not to be intellectually curious about the realities that surround us, or is more "realistic" being interested only in one's bubble of reality ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And mine never heard of The Beatles and the Stones. Just about heard the word Elvis. When I asked her about the 'CREATION' she didn't have any views whatsoever, but when I spelled it wrong and said the 'CRETIN' in Bangkok, she knew exactly who I was talking about.

Do you know Thai bands from that era?

Do you know the Thai word for creation, assuming you are living in Thailand?

42 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

That's because you think with flang brain being educated to question, Thai's are taught not to question "mai pen rai" attitude, maybe they have got it right, saves a lot of worrying as another poster said, worrying about something you can do sweet FA about

"flang".  I do believe Herr Naam has a new spelling for his list.

23 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure gas attacks should be punished but had this happened in an African country without oil  and or oil infrastructure nothing would have happened. 

A bit overly simplistic. In general without potential (here conferred by oil revenues) to threaten our friends and the USA, without using WMD, and with no effort or ability by the official gov't to do anything themselves (on the contrary here, as it was the official gov't perpetrating the crime). 

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you know Thai bands from that era?

Do you know the Thai word for creation, assuming you are living in Thailand?

Do you know Thai bands that sold hundreds of millions of records around the world and played a major part in shaping a generation?

No. Nor does anyone else. But people have heard of bands that did just that. If those people are not Thai.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

On 4/15/2018 at 11:55 AM, RichardColeman said:

My wife is a school teacher - 40 - good brain. But has never heard of 9/11 !

I think what you are up against is that Thai's think the world revolves around Thailand and nothing will ever effect it. Everything is Farang. Personally I see Thailand as 3rd world most of the time, asking any 3rd world country to get involved in anything outside their borders would be hard - bit like asking a rural family in the Ivory coast what should happen about North Korea.

Besides they are so petrified of being invaded sending any army abroad would worry the Junta

Interesting. The Thai woman I know best is my daughter-in-law. She is a degreed engineer and works for a foreign multi-national in the Oil & Gas industry. She has no problem discussing world history, cross-societal issues, and international politics, in addition to the math and physics of her career field. I have met several of her friends, who are also well-informed. I have to admit, many other Thai women I know have no idea what goes on outside Thailand.  However, the difference may be that your wife simply has no outside interests or that her education was limited to Thai studies.

33 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I am sure that nobody is suggesting that your wife is dumb, and that word sounds slightly wrong to me.

Actually I'm sure some new troll is. The reason it sounds wrong is the OP is talking about "incurious." By making the mistake of saying his wife is "bright," an idea so many posters can't accept in Thais, he left himself open to the expected bashing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JSixpack said:

Actually I'm sure some new troll is. The reason it sounds wrong is the OP is talking about "incurious." By making the mistake of saying his wife is "bright," an idea so many posters can't accept in Thais, he left himself open to the expected bashing. 

Thanks for the correction. A much better word.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Tbh, there are a lot of people, in many countries, who don't know for sure that men had landed on the moon.

And, tbf, Thailand is not the only place with its fair share of ignorant people.

Yes, but the Topic is Thailand, so lets just stick to Thailand, no point in going round the Globe making comparisons. 

5 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Yes, but the Topic is Thailand, so lets just stick to Thailand, no point in going round the Globe making comparisons. 

Well, as far as i know, Thailand is part of the globe, we can see the moon from here too :coffee1:

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Wow.Talk about the pot calling the kettle a bubble dweller.

Americans are probably among the most self-absorbed, insular people on the planet. I wonder how many Americans who've chosen to live in Thailand know anything of Thai language, culture or history or, for that matter, anything about North American history beyond a few headline events that were explained to them by Fox News using language suitable to 3rd graders.

I doubt most Americans could find Syria or Thailand on a map and a large percentage couldn't find the US.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-much-us-history-do-americans-actually-know-less-you-think-180955431/

Americans are also among the most generous, willing to extend a helping hand people in the world. When you see someone being flown on a private plane for a lifesaving medical procedure it's almost always an American who made it happen. I'm allowed to point out our many flaws because I'm from there(and I know), you like most critics only see the flaws and point them out because it makes you feel better about yourself. 

A post with overly negative comments about Thailand and its people has been removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Please keep it polite, on topic and inside the rules.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But they do not surround us. That is the whole point.

As has been said, Thais are also individuals. My own gf has all of her life been curious not so much about current events in other parts of the world but certainly about other cultures. She's always known Elvis and The Beatles and can name several songs by U2 she likes. She's formally studied both Marketing and English lit and she's well-traveled in Europe. In farangland, I had gfs who were interested in current events but then had their own spin on them that merely led to arguments. Me, I'm glad to be away from the feminazis. :smile:

But I don't see a "right and wrong" here in typical TVF judgmental binary thinking. I don't see how being incurious about matters that don't directly affect one is all the different from the sentiment expressed in The Serenity Prayer. On the other hand, farangs are often most incurious about things that Thais regard as of interest and may well be useful to know about for a more successful adaptation to their adopted country. Lack of helpful Thai attitude explains why so many of our posters are plagued by the hideous brain-eating Whither Thailand? and Whither Pattaya? space monkeys. Once they invade, the only cure is leave Thailand to regain happiness. 

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do you know Thai bands that sold hundreds of millions of records around the world and played a major part in shaping a generation?

No. Nor does anyone else. But people have heard of bands that did just that. If those people are not Thai.

I travelled in the MENA region. Nobody knew of the Beatles or Elvis. But they of Farous and Um Kal Thum.