Sizing an A/C unit

Swimman

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Modern technology is all well and good but not without risk in this climate. I have had several appliance die on me where I am fairly sure the ambient was a contributing factor. I have a fairly large combi microwave that I brought over from the UK which during the warmer weather is prone to starting up on its own. When I got married someone gave us a floor standing fan with digital switching, that lasted about 6 years. I managed to source a new board and replaced it but for a few more baht I could have got a new unit with a mechanical switch, my sister in law has had hers best part of 30 years.

My aircons are fairly basic LG units and have been running ok for about 9 years now so do not owe me a great deal.

Some early computers I worked on were full of IVGs (infinitely variable gearboxes), I wouldn't go that far, just use a cooling pad.

I've had 2 brand new compressors die in less than a year. They were installed in May 2017. The first one (25,000 BTU) went after less than an hour of operation. The second one (18,000 BTU) after only 250 hours (running for about 10 hours a week). They were both supposed to have a 5-year warranty, but they got out of it by suggesting the reason for the failure was an electrical spike. I'm pretty sure this was bs, but as the landlord was paying and didn't seem to mind, I didn't get involved... now I'm waiting to see how long the other 2 last (I initially had 4 installed). I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in Thai manufactured compressors. Try to avoid them. I wasn't the one paying for them so I had no choice.

Edited by tropo