True Move H clarifies leaked ID card information to NBTC

webfact

True Move H clarifies leaked ID card information to NBTC

PNECO610417001001101.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 April 2018 (NNT) - Thailand's office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has summoned True Move H Co Ltd, to clarify an alleged leak of its customers' personal information. 

According to NBTC Secretary-General, Takorn Tantasith, representatives of True Move H Co Ltd went to the NBTC headquarters earlier today to provide clarification after it allegedly leaked its clients' personal information. 

If the mobile phone company is found guilty, it risks having its operating license withdrawn and facing several other charges under the Organization to Assign Radio Frequency to Regulate the Broadcasting and Telecommunications Services Act B.E. 2553.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-17

True says its customers’ database “hacked” by very experienced hackers using special device

By Thai PBS

true2.jpg

Executives of True Corporation, Thailand’s mobile phone operator, went to the office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) Tuesday morning to discuss the leak of customers’ personal information allegedly by hackers.

The executives who included Mr Suebsakul Sakolsattayathorn, managing director of Ascend Commerce, an affiliated firm of True Corp, and Mr Pakapong Pattanamat, deputy director of mobile business of True Crop, met for about one hour with NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tanthasit and Mr Prawit Leesathapruanga, acting NBTC commissioner.

The meeting followed a notification to True in March by Niall Merrigan, a Norway- based security researcher, that he was able to access to 32 gigabytes of True’s customers’ data, including their ID cards and passports, suggesting that the data had been hacked.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/true-says-customers-database-hacked-experienced-hackers-using-special-device/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-17

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

True says its customers’ database “hacked” by very experienced hackers using special device

Yes, an extremely complex unit consisting of a central nervous system connected to tentacle-like extremities attached to a human arm, which could be operated by concerted actions of tendons, bones and muscles, allowing a cognitive user to press the numeric password keys '123456' on an apparatus attached to a power-driven computer.

• Like 2

So will Thai immigration be charged next for using the backside of passport copies to print their documents, and for the online leaks of foreigner details as they were reported here a year or so ago?

Edited by janclaes47

I was paying my True bill a couple weeks ago using the True i-service app and chose to pay with credit card, the following screenshot shows 2 cards that have nothing to do with me, and if you choose one of those 2 cards you get to see personal information.
So the question is..what other customers can see my personal info? What government Dept should I report this data breach to?20180418_091430.jpg

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

that's one way to clarify

here is another way:

True says, we are all a bit stupid and have no idea what we are doing.

One explanation needs "experience and a special device", the other one doesn't.

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

32 Gigabytes of data. I guess the "special device" was a USB Stick. Somchai does hi-tech.

Typical ..facebook allows a 3rd party to casually rip off the data of 87 m users and assist in the election of the worst POTUS in history and help uk leave the eu.

Not a wimper.

A thai company makes a similar mistake but far less implications and ho hum lets denigrate thailand and its people.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Typical ..facebook allows a 3rd party to casually rip off the data of 87 m users and assist in the election of the worst POTUS in history and help uk leave the eu.

Not a wimper.

A thai company makes a similar mistake but far less implications and ho hum lets denigrate thailand and its people.

The Facebook data breach was not exactly the same as leaking customer's personal identification details (Name, ID, Birth Date, Address, Phone etc. <- everything needed for ID fraud). Facebook data consisted of likes and preferences, enough to build a metric profile that if used correctly could show you information that would influence your decisions but not be used for identity fraud (no-one could steal your ID and thereby open accounts in your name).

55 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Not a wimper.

I guess you missed the bit on the news that reported Mark Zuckerberg answering questions in Congress for two days. What cave have you been in?