One dead after engine explodes on Southwest flight

webfact

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I did’t say the US safety record was BECAUSE of the training of the co-plots. (I think it is a factor, they are also better qualified when hired as most have a military background).

Correct, you certainly didn't. You said it was because of being under seasoned senior captains. Incorrect info ex military. less than 40% of those hired are ex military on 2001 figures. Would be even less now. 

A pretty good record I’d reckon. (I don’t like them actually, for other reasons, OK for a short flight only).

Yes it is an impressive record.

The airlines that have 4 years to command are the subtractors such as United Express and Skywest so it is you sir that do not know what you are talking about.

I'm not sure of the relevance of this - they are USA airlines regardless. Not to mention that time to command varies greatly on demand and rate of retirements. It even varies between bases. 

How many years to command at United Airlines, American, and Delta? How about Hawaiian?

These airlines have younger less experienced pilots. The operate under the umbrella of the US major airlines (where ONLY you find the retired military aviators such as Sully and Captain Tammie Jo Shults.) The average passenger does not know this but these subcontractors operate under the brand of a Major Airlines, website, ticketing , check in, paint schemes. Example American Airlines what advertises 6000+ flights a day (rubbish) Read the small print most departures are operated by American Eagle and other subcontractors.

As your writing is all over the place, it's a bit hard to tell what you're referring to. Are you trying to say that UA, American, Delta and Hawaiian are 100% ex military pilots? That's not even close to being true. At any rate, the subcontractors are still all USA commercial airlines. 

Still, no fatal accidents in US aviation in 9 years!

Other than colgan...

Delta is a year to command on the MD80 on an east coast base. 5 years to command for a west coast base. Have just been told that (provided you meet the relevant minimum requirements obviously), it can be as low as 6 months to command on the MD80 for junior bases like ATL. If I get details on any others I'll add them. 

This is a known problem. The last few crashes in the US Industry (such as Colgan yes) have all involved these commuter airlines where pilots were the main cause and thus recently training and rest rules have been changed by the FAA.

off topic, but not enough has been done. only 8 of the 25 recommendations have been implemented. 

When Korean Airlines crashed a plane (pure pilot error) killing mostly Koreans on Guam why should that be counted against Guam? That should be counted against the air safety record of the country responsible. The recent shocking crash at was another pilot error of Star-Alliance partner Asiana. 

It's just where it happened. you have to look at the data. That's why I gave the colgan air accident and not the asiana with regards to USA safety record. it's just easier to locate fatalities this way. You can choose other ways such as by operator http://www.airfleets.net/crash/crash_search.htm

I don't need to misrepresent your posts - I just have to read them. If you want to revise what you meant or add relevant information such as flight hours per accident (which was actually sirineou), then that's fine. 

Edited by ncc1701d

At least we can agree it is an impressive safety record. I was under the impression the major US airlines were 99% ex-military other that small number of those who come up through the commuters, mostly to fill certain affirmative action quotas and management types.

You sound like you have inside information I will agree to your expertise on the subject 6 month command for a ATL Delta command very impressive. All the more reason you will NEVER again see the likes of me east of the Pacific Time zone, for any reason

My sister in laws brother is a “United Express” I met him in once 1997 at their wedding. So I says to him I says “why don’t you upgrade your license to jets” ? He gave me some rubbish about staying close to home and taking care of the family farm(Bakersfield). I think the truth is he came up through CROPDUSTING. He’s not qualified.

• Like 1