Route 7 Bangkok to Pattaya will cost 105 baht from today (Thursday)

snoop1130

15 hours ago, ballbreaker said:

Made quick Bkk round trip run today and noticed they underestimated amount of south bound traffic that would exit at Rayong/Banglamung highway 36.  Two lanes of traffic were backed up for over a km trying to take exit this morning (830am) and late afternoon it was even worse on my return (330pm).  In the morning one south bound lane was clear two were backed up and in the afternoon even right lane was at a crawl for over km till parallel to toll gates.

Yes I have seen this before just not enough room from the exit to the booths, brilliant planning and its only a matter if time before there is a huge crash.

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

Tell me what toll free roads to use??

extra kms might have to be travelled therefore more money....which could be more than the toll on 7....which is a very good road....also one would spend more time driving !!

the road through Chonburi town has no toll and you can get all the way to Bangkok, but you will be in a grdilock

On 4/19/2018 at 8:34 AM, Mattd said:

in fact I think that the traffic on the section Chonburi to Pattaya will reduce now that the toll is being applied, as since January it was free.

It would also appear that 2 new toll-free highways (3701 and 3702) running parallel to this section are currently under construction, if the penultimate paragraph of this article is to be believed:-

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/highway-clarifies-105-baht-toll-safer-126-kilometre-bangkok-pattaya-motorway-reasonable/

Since according to this article the new rates account for distance travelled, the full 105 THB rate will, I take it, only apply to journeys spanning the entire length of Highway 7. In other words, it will presumably cost us less than this for our future journeys between the BKK Airport and Highway 344 turnoffs?

Edited by OJAS

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

It would also appear that 2 new toll-free highways (3701 and 3702) running parallel to this section are currently under construction,

I've not seen any construction of " highways" parallel to highway 7, so I assume they must be the frontage roads, which in contrast to what is stated in the article, do not run till Pattaya but stop at the highway 36 intersection.

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

the road through Chonburi town has no toll and you can get all the way to Bangkok, but you will be in a grdilock

You need to watch out for  ( hiding) police along that road too..

my cunning solution is just don't go to Bangkok   simple,cheap and safe.

10 minutes ago, johng said:

my cunning solution is just don't go to Bangkok   simple,cheap and safe.

Unfortunately this is not an option which is available to us Brits these days at passport renewal time.:sad:

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

passport renewal time.:sad:

Mine lasts for 10 years... but I did have to get to the "Trendy Building" (x2) last October  to get a visa for my wife... we took the bus and then sky train sod trying to drive there.

I see  visa shop/agencies that offer "British Passport Renewal"  without you going to Bangkok.  :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, johng said:

I see  visa shop/agencies that offer "British Passport Renewal"  without you going to Bangkok.  :thumbsup:

Including one in Pattaya, I believe. But at 5,000 THB I would hesitate to call using their services as a cheap way of avoiding Bangkok! There again beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But at 5,000 THB I would hesitate to call using their services as a cheap way of avoiding Bangkok!

Yikes  at 5,000 baht I think I'll grit my teeth and make the journey..but let the bus driver do the driving.

On 19/4/2561 at 12:46 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Please don't tell me you expect logic and common sense in Thailand. Come on! There really is no limit to how stupid these people are.

It was priced per kilometer, actual price were supposed to be 109 but 105 is the compromise.

The toll booths were supposed to be nearer to Sukhumvit in Pattaya rather than in Nong Prue, maybe they hoped to charge 110 or 120 baht there

but nongprue residents lobbied to have their 'on ramp' constructed to use Hwy7 as an easy way into Pattaya, so the booths ended up where it is now

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

It would also appear that 2 new toll-free highways (3701 and 3702) running parallel to this section are currently under construction, if the penultimate paragraph of this article is to be believed:-

Most of the 3701 and 3702 is now complete. It was a messy integration and diversion route for the H7 toll extension for a few years.

Google earth historical imagery will probably show how it all developed and the nightmare created as we tried to access local businesses on the old dual highway.

You can now skip the new H7 Chonburi toll by using the busy 3701/2 but not as a continuous road to the Nongprue final gate. To reach the final gate you must jump hoops via H36 and choose one of several scenic routes. An off-road bike can do it in two easy hops if there are no police around.

At trucks/coach speed there should be no need for them to be on the 7 on the stretch from Bang Phra tolls to 36 exit, as more adjust to the new scheme, hopefully then there wouldn't be so much queue on the 36 exit toll.

But I have seen 3701/3702 ground to a halt when there's some accident

Last time I drove to 36 using 7 I noticed they gave the card but didn't charge. I wonder how much those couple of km will cost now. The toll booth would've been better situated after that intersection.

Edited by DrTuner
Wrong road

On 19/04/2018 at 7:50 AM, jacko45k said:

That would have been substantially easier had the charge been 100 baht rather than 105 baht! There might be an increase in accidents of people driving into barriers and off the side of the road as they fumble in pockets for that elusive coin!

we are in thailand no thought goes into many things here !!!

On 19/04/2018 at 2:43 AM, impulse said:

I haven't driven down there in a while.  Thanks for the heads up.  I just remember the epic traffic jams at the toll booths on the Motorway and the old tollway.  Every time I drove through a new toll booth that hadn't started collecting, my heart sank thinking about another one of those jams.  And having an M-Pass (?) didn't seem to save much time since the M-Pass lane was jammed with people trying to sneak in to the front of the other lines.

The real PITA is the the Rayong turn off where the inside two lanes are M pass and everybody and their brother is jamming up the lanes. M pass is on the right so stick to the right hand lane although it gives you the impression you will miss the turn off. Now they have lines of cones with guys directing people to try to sort it out.

On 4/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, DrTuner said:

Last time I drove to 36 using 7 I noticed they gave the card but didn't charge. I wonder how much those couple of km will cost now. The toll booth would've been better situated after that intersection.

To follow up, 7 from sukhumvit to 36 was 10 baht.

On 21/04/2018 at 2:59 PM, DrTuner said:

That would have been the best solution. As it is now all the signs give the impression rhat you have to stay on the 2 left lanes when in fact if you have M pass you need to stay to the right giving you the feeling that you will miss the 36 turn off.

After the first time it's not that bad but the first time you use it you have quite a delay in the queue.