Is there a forum to bitch about the US Embassy?

Well, I guess my choice of titles was effective! Many more replies than I anticipated.

Thanks for the input, some helpful contacts were posted. Appreciate that.

I was able to get the official answer from the embassy when I was there at an appointment for notarial services on Friday... thought I share the answer...

Seems they are completely revising the process of consular reports of birth (or whatever that exact title is) and the switch over will be on May 1.

Going forward, rather than book an appointment on that online system, you will have to submit all the required documents (printed copies, not originals) by mail. They will review the documents and either inform you of gaps in the documents, if any, or schedule an appointment if things are in order. Then you need to go to the appt with all the orignal docs, and your spouse and child.

They say that this process will make the time spent at the embassy much smoother and shorter, as they will have already reviewed the content before you arrive.

On 4/21/2018 at 5:29 AM, geriatrickid said:

Yes. Many open dates for May. Every week in May several open slots.

People don't get it, but the US embassy in Bangkok is exceptionally busy. It's not as if the thousands of people it serves generate the revenues or taxes to even cover the costs of the delivery of services, but that's a whole different discussion. It's easy to bash US embassy  personnel, but based upon my own personal interactions/observations they deliver services that beat the quality and service levels of many other western countries. 

according to 2010 census, approxximate number of Americans in Thaland exceed 40,500, so, add eight years to that and lets say we are over 50,000 American citizens in Thailand now.  Anyone know when the last census was taken since 2010??

11 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

according to 2010 census, approxximate number of Americans in Thaland exceed 40,500, so, add eight years to that and lets say we are over 50,000 American citizens in Thailand now.  Anyone know when the last census was taken since 2010??

What census are talking about ?

3 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

What census are talking about ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand#Expatriates

is where I found it, I was looking for somthing more up to date, just out of curiosity......doesn't seem to be as many around these years, the Seventies/Eighties were 'Americans in Thailand' years

On 4/22/2018 at 11:45 AM, rjcampbe said:

Well, I guess my choice of titles was effective! Many more replies than I anticipated.

Thanks for the input, some helpful contacts were posted. Appreciate that.

I was able to get the official answer from the embassy when I was there at an appointment for notarial services on Friday... thought I share the answer...

Seems they are completely revising the process of consular reports of birth (or whatever that exact title is) and the switch over will be on May 1.

Going forward, rather than book an appointment on that online system, you will have to submit all the required documents (printed copies, not originals) by mail. They will review the documents and either inform you of gaps in the documents, if any, or schedule an appointment if things are in order. Then you need to go to the appt with all the orignal docs, and your spouse and child.

They say that this process will make the time spent at the embassy much smoother and shorter, as they will have already reviewed the content before you arrive.

Thanks for this very informative update.  I wonder if they're going to the same procedure in Chiang Mai?  I'll ask next time I have contact with the Consular staff there.  I know that they say the CRIBA process (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) is the most time-consuming routine consular service they offer in the office and can sometimes be a real test if the couple brings siblings with them since they don't provide childcare services.   Pre-screening of documents makes a lot of sense. 

That's the most time-consuming "in-office" service.  Assisting Americans who are arrested or in hospital can be much more time consuming, but those aren't regular consular services.