Thai taxi driver said his life is being ruined after English teacher posts damning clip

webfact

11 minutes ago, EyeOfRa said:

The use of social media to deliver the message has amplified the shaming to proportions far beyond the level any individual could have deserved.

Mr Danny Mac has created a sensation, parading as a moral question, and achieved his goal of turning a nation's eyes to his YouTube channel. Bravo.

Perhaps, when Danny is fifty years old, with a family to support, he may contemplate whether he should have thought twice.

Yes shoot the messenger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More social media and more shaming. it's the way forward

for Thailand.

Please remember, the taxi driver was trying to rip people off,  bet it was his first time trying to do that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caught red handed in the act,   boo hoo, boo hoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! greedy git,  end of.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thian said:
12 hours ago, atyclb said:
Ann Epidemiol. 2012 Jan;22(1):51-6. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2011.10.005.

Who gets tattoos? Demographic and behavioral correlates of ever being tattooed in a representative sample of men and women.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

Despite recent increases in the popularity of tattooing, little is known about the prevalence and characteristics of adults who have ever been tattooed. We investigated demographic and behavioral correlates of ever getting tattooed in an adult population.

METHODS:

Computer-assisted telephone interviews were completed by a representative sample of 8656 men and women ages 16-64 years in Australia.

RESULTS:

A total of 14.5% of respondents had ever been tattooed, and 2.4% of respondents had been tattooed in the year before the interview. Men were more likely than women to report a tattoo, but the highest rates of tattooing were found among women in their 20s (29.4%). Men and women ages 20-39 were most likely to have been tattooed, as were men with lower levels of education, tradesmen, and women with live-out partners. Tattooing was also associated with risk-taking behaviours, including smoking, greater numbers of lifetime sexual partners, cannabis use (women only) and ever having depression (men only).

CONCLUSIONS:

Tattooing has increased in popularity during the past decade. Yet tattoos still appear to be a marker for risk-taking behavior in adults.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 11.16.40 PM.png

Just look at the famous soccerplayers, most have tattoo's these days...

"Why are so few footballers well educated?"    source   

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/why-are-so-few-footballers-well-educated/

Edited by atyclb

3 hours ago, zzidenn said:

Trying  to explain the digital age to the Oldtimers Ay. Oh oh but look at his tattoos, he surely can’t be a professional teacher looking like this. 

i am far from being a teenager myself.

i knew a guy that had a masters degree in psychology, very intelligent. i couldn't figure out why he also was covered in tattoos. one day i asked. answer was; tattoos were done while he was an actively drinking alcoholic but was in recovery.

another friend is quite brilliant and a superstar lawyer as well, has tattoos but not on ars/legs/neck where they can be readily seen with street clothes

Edited by atyclb

If you want to be a taxi driver then behave in a seemly manner. If you want to act like a cretin and then burst into tears when the whole world gets to know you're a cretin, then get a life or find another job.

No sympathy at all - bullies are bullies and too many of them burst into tears when their sense of impunity and exceptionalism is shattered. Which illustrates the underlying lack of psychological strength of a lot of Thais, despite the seemingly ubiquitous swagger and bluster.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, Bluespunk said:

There’s a twist: the good taxi driver story that always follows a bad one is the same driver. 

Didn't see that coming. 

The cringe worthy crying is just pathetic. 

Absolutely correct, he should have attacked the teacher with a sword, which is the usual response to complaints.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, coulson said:

Did you actually read the story, or the other account?

Taxi driver wants to off the meter, tries to top up on the tolls, adds an imaginary 50 baht airport fee (They all try this at departures level, where it is supposedly forbidden to pick up passengers) then expects a tip, upon refusal of which he refers to the westerner as a cheap charlie. This is not uncommon.

I don't feel any compassion to taxi drivers on the take and then cry foul just because they lose face. 

"He did not ask for 300 as was claimed, he said, and was not eventually given 200 for the three tolls that would have to be paid."......this is part of the taxi drivers story. Did you read the article? Did you read my post that said there are two sides to the story?

I'm not particularly interested in this story to be honest. The western guy isn't that likeable and he has used the whole thing to gain attention for himself.

But you feel free to condemn the taxi driver.....that's your choice and it only reflects on you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramrod711 said:

Absolutely correct, he should have attacked the teacher with a sword, which is the usual response to complaints.

That only happens if the farang doesn't look strong like this teacher....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Beg to differ, I've been in Thailand for 14 years. I'm not stupid, yet can only just get by with the Thai language; many Thais can't (or pretend not to) understand me so increasingly, I don't bother. Let them learn sapeak Engrish. My sense of affinity for Thais has plummeted in recent years - since I started to see through the facade so many of them erect for the benefit and deception of onlookers.

There are so many ways in which Thai is unclear and not precise enough for effective communication anyway; then there are the people who genuinely cannot understand a word if you have give it even a slightly wrong pronunciation, and that's usually not because they're super smart. Prayuth's boast that Thai could be a Lingua France in 20 years is just as empty and ridiculous as most of his boasts. Thailand badly needs to get rid of this guy, he's just making things worse.

that's your experience, certainly not mine. most if not all thais like the fact i speak with them in thai and even when i was younger and was making all manner of mistakes i still tried and was more often than not helped by whoever i was trying to speak with. i'll be honest, 14 years and you can only just get by shows a real lack of effort but your negative attitude of facade/deception would seem to give me a clue as to why people may not want to engage with you and you not try to learn the language

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

that's your experience, certainly not mine. most if not all thais like the fact i speak with them in thai and even when i was younger and was making all manner of mistakes i still tried and was more often than not helped by whoever i was trying to speak with. i'll be honest, 14 years and you can only just get by shows a real lack of effort but your negative attitude of facade/deception would seem to give me a clue as to why people may not want to engage with you and you not try to learn the language

Ah well. All this really means is what you say in sentence 1: "that's your experience, not mine". That much is true, everything else is moot.

All of which is OK, but I strongly suspect that you are missing some important bits though it isn't really important, I'm glad you're integrating well and that Thais have welcomed you to their society and culture. An example to us all I'm sure.

4 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

My sense of affinity for Thais has plummeted in recent years - since I started to see through the facade so many of them erect for the benefit and deception of onlookers.

Same here. Once I did learn enough of the language and got a peek behind the smoke & mirrors, what I saw is something I don't want to take part in. The black tar boiling under the serene surface, the fake culture being pushed by the army since WWII, the day-to-day face <deleted>, etc. These days I'll stick to my own Farang Ghetto.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Same here. Once I did learn enough of the language and got a peek behind the smoke & mirrors, what I saw is something I don't want to take part in. The black tar boiling under the serene surface, the fake culture being pushed by the army since WWII, the day-to-day face <deleted>, etc. These days I'll stick to my own Farang Ghetto.

Exactly, but probably put better than I did.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yet you stay in the country of "terrible" people surrounded by farang oddballs and misfits.

Rather ironic.

29 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Ah well. All this really means is what you say in sentence 1: "that's your experience, not mine". That much is true, everything else is moot.

All of which is OK, but I strongly suspect that you are missing some important bits though it isn't really important, I'm glad you're integrating well and that Thais have welcomed you to their society and culture. An example to us all I'm sure.

not an example to anyone. came here when i was still a teenager and been married 18 years, why not integrate. it's where i live and where my family is based. but i realize some people see all thais as deceptive etc and as Dr Turner said enjoy living in a 'farang ghetto'. each to their own, i much prefer living in my areas which are quite the opposite and not full of negative people

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Indeed, good advice. It's much nicer to share the rants about the stupid outsiders with a good posse.

People to eat and drink with. Play cards. Listen to music.

Politics etc isnt worth stressing over.

Better to enjoy the simple things in life.

• Like 1