Thai taxi driver said his life is being ruined after English teacher posts damning clip

webfact

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So he can now go drive a tuk tuk. They never get in trouble. Although the look on the Danny Mac guy deserved to get ripped off. Cringe worthy at best. 

transfet him to drive a tuk tuk in sri lanka.

all tuk tuks in sri lanka have meters lol

Just now, Ks45672 said:

No sympathy for filth that drive taxis

Absolutely none

He should be fired for saying the meter was broken and demanding 500 from the outset 

Meter broken = get it fixed, not  extort passengers for a flat rate

I do, taxi drivers in Thailand have to work long hours to make a decent living. It's so bloody cheap to take a taxi in Thailand compared to other countries. I don't even blame them for refusing a fare because of the distance and the traffic. If I was a taxi driver and was asked - at evening rush hour - to drive from Sathon to Sukumvit, for example, I'd also turn down the fare... not worth the hassle or the money.  

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.38.22 PM.png

not a bad idea before making claims of fact to do something that took all of 2 minutes. due diligence / research

his you tube site does not even appear to be monetized (make money) and the number of views on most videos is dismal. i didn't see any advertising on his videos.

sometimes on this forum i feel like a mother, a father, a school teacher, social worker, ......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

I do, taxi drivers in Thailand have to work long hours to make a decent living. It's so bloody cheap to take a taxi in Thailand compared to other countries. I don't even blame them for refusing a fare because of the distance and the traffic. If I was a taxi driver and was asked - at evening rush hour - to drive from Sathon to Sukumvit, for example, I'd also turn down the fare... not worth the hassle or the money.  

Then perhaps taxi driving isn't the career for you if you dislike bkk traffic so much 

Go and pick rice or something more suited to your abilities and preferences? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

not a bad idea before making claims of fact to do something that took all of 2 minutes. due diligence / research

his you tube site does not even appear to be monetized (make money) and the number of views on most videos is dismal. i didn't see any advertising on his videos.

sometimes on this forum i fell like a mother, a father, a school teacher, ...

Or nothing better to look at.

Just now, Ks45672 said:

Then perhaps taxi driving isn't the career for you if you dislike bkk traffic so much 

Go and pick rice or something more suited to your abilities and preferences? 

You're exactly the kind of person I'd kick out of my cab at a busy intersection next to a cop drug testing booth.

Edited by stephen tracy
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, atyclb said:

sometimes on this forum i fell like a mother, a father, a school teacher, ...

and how do you know it not 'monetized' mother, father, uncle, teacher just out of interest. whether it is 'monetized' or not he is trying to raise his profile and if it isn't now i am sure it will be so the guy is basically a wannabe acting like a knob on you tube like the canadian mormon fella

Edited by Happy enough

3 hours ago, The manic said:

I haven't been ripped off by a taxi driver since the early 90s when metres were fist introduced in Bangkok. I drove in London but not a Hackney cab. Proffesional teachers are not covered in tramp stamps and tats. Would you want him anywhere near your kids? Does his website have adverts or sponsored links? If so he is breaking the law. ..Let's see how this publicity pans out. Yes I do judge people by appearances. People get prison tats to make a statement about what They are, a bank manager,soldier,engineer all dress differently..So you can judge a lot about them.

My Thai friend is a marketing manager for a very big company, and he has plenty tatoo's.

22 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

If they don't like it they should go to grow rice outside BKK.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

and how do you know it not 'monetized' mother, father, uncle, teacher just out of interest. whether it is 'monetized' or not he is trying to raise his profile and if it isn't now i am sure it will be so the guy is basically a wannabe acting like a knob on you tube like the canadian mormon fella

i read the youtube monetization requirements and just to be certain viewed some of his videos and none had advertising.  you could have have easily done the same

because someone posted he is getting paid for his hits on youtube.

add social worker and psychotherapist to my list

"a wannabe acting like a knob" .  the guy already speaks thai fairly well especially for just 2 years . give the guy credit for thai language ability and having the testosterone level to post the taxi story

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

Just now, stephen tracy said:

No, they were born here, you weren't. If you don't like it, just hail a different taxi or get a motorbike taxi.

I wouldn't use a bkk taxi unless it was some kind of emergency and even then I'd check uber first lol

But my point still stands, if they don't like driving a taxi in bkk traffic  then they are in the wrong line of work

Taxis who refuse fares  on the meter, demand a flat rate and refuse to go to destinations they don't like are also breaking the law btw

10 hours ago, taotoo said:

Yes, the youtubers invariably do.

Don't get me wrong- I don't much care if he has one or not.  But I do think all us farangs are in a fragile position to some extent.  I choose not go asserting rights as I might in Farangland.  The truth doesn't count much out here!

3 hours ago, Thian said:

My Thai friend is a marketing manager for a very big company, and he has plenty tatoo's.

I have a tatoo but you know as well as I do that the role of tattoos in Thai culture is different from the west.

6 hours ago, atyclb said:

i read the youtube monetization requirements and just to be certain viewed some of his videos and none had advertising.  you could have have easily done the same

because someone posted he is getting paid for his hits on youtube.

add social worker and psychotherapist to my list

"a wannabe acting like a knob" .  the guy already speaks thai fairly well especially for just 2 years . give the guy credit for thai language ability and having the testosterone level to post the taxi story

anyone could learn thai in 2 years if they tried so don't see why i should give him credit really. i had a quick look as you suggested and i'll be honest he looks like he just wants to be like the mormon fella only this guy acts and looks like even more of a tool. there's no way he isn't doing it for personal gain in my opinion though the reason his hits are so low now is, well, just watch one of the videos. childish, attention seeking none sense 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

anyone could learn thai in 2 years if they tried so don't see why i should give him credit really

the vast overwhelming majority of expats i have ever met or been exposed to even if they live in thailand 10 years or more cannot.

anyone can become a physicist or a lawyer if they try/study hard enough but most dont.

6 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the vast overwhelming majority of expats i have ever met or been exposed to even if they live in thailand 10 years or more cannot.

anyone can become a physicist or a lawyer if they try/study hard enough but most dont.

people have a choice. most of my friends here who are expats can speak thai. some learnt whilst doing ed visas in the past and got into it and a couple had thai lessons through the companies they work for. one self taught in a couple of years and reads, writes and speaks fluently. most are still relatively young and not retirees which i think can make a difference. not saying recent retirees don't speak thai as i'm sure a lot do but i think younger people tend to pick up languages quicker than older people (or so i read) also i guess some may have less motivation than others to do so especially if living in a large expat town/community for example. oh by the way if most people became a physicist or a lawyer, we'd have too many. luckily people choose all manner of different career paths

10 hours ago, atyclb said:

sometimes on this forum i feel like a mother, a father, a school teacher, social worker, ......

Trying  to explain the digital age to the Oldtimers Ay. Oh oh but look at his tattoos, he surely can’t be a professional teacher looking like this. 

Silly how people are trying to make the victim look bad. I once had an Uber driver demanding 600 baht tip for a 2500 baht ride to Rayong 

9 hours ago, atyclb said:
Ann Epidemiol. 2012 Jan;22(1):51-6. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2011.10.005.

Who gets tattoos? Demographic and behavioral correlates of ever being tattooed in a representative sample of men and women.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

Despite recent increases in the popularity of tattooing, little is known about the prevalence and characteristics of adults who have ever been tattooed. We investigated demographic and behavioral correlates of ever getting tattooed in an adult population.

METHODS:

Computer-assisted telephone interviews were completed by a representative sample of 8656 men and women ages 16-64 years in Australia.

RESULTS:

A total of 14.5% of respondents had ever been tattooed, and 2.4% of respondents had been tattooed in the year before the interview. Men were more likely than women to report a tattoo, but the highest rates of tattooing were found among women in their 20s (29.4%). Men and women ages 20-39 were most likely to have been tattooed, as were men with lower levels of education, tradesmen, and women with live-out partners. Tattooing was also associated with risk-taking behaviours, including smoking, greater numbers of lifetime sexual partners, cannabis use (women only) and ever having depression (men only).

CONCLUSIONS:

Tattooing has increased in popularity during the past decade. Yet tattoos still appear to be a marker for risk-taking behavior in adults.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 11.16.40 PM.png

Just look at the famous soccerplayers, most have tattoo's these days...

Troll post and answer to it have been removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

4 hours ago, coulson said:

I don't feel any compassion to taxi drivers on the take and then cry foul just because they lose face. 

The use of social media to deliver the message has amplified the shaming to proportions far beyond the level any individual could have deserved.

Mr Danny Mac has created a sensation, parading as a moral question, and achieved his goal of turning a nation's eyes to his YouTube channel. Bravo.

Perhaps, when Danny is fifty years old, with a family to support, he may contemplate whether he should have thought twice.