Video: Yet again! Car driver refuses to pull over for ambulance as heart patient struggles for life

webfact

11 hours ago, worrab said:

Usual no enforcement of any laws.

There should be an edict out to all ambulance drivers only to use blues and twos when going to or returning with an emergency patient. Not all day long because it looks good and they should be fined if they do so. 

Then a hefty fine for car drivers in cases like this video shows (5000 baht) and perhaps the government should remind their wonderful drivers that it could be a family member being rushed into hospital, so pull over!!!

It is all a case of enforcement.  The same in China.  They will not move for ambulances because they know full well that nobody will move them.  Some people are saying that it will take a long time to change.  I disagree.  It would not happen in Singapore, they would not dare.  In that city the law is tough.  Try dropping a piece of paper sometime. Make the penalty a thing to be feared and they will move quickly enough.  When I was a kid in Australia if you didn't move for an ambulance or fire engine then the general public would have dragged you out and lynched you.

• Like 1

Your biggest problem is that the government is too afraid of upsetting the people because the government needs the support of the people or they will be voted out when the elections are held

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Another selfish idiot who should not be on the roads. Letting people off who do this with a wai and a 500B fine, doesn't help matters. I can only hope that some of the 3 million who viewed it DO get the message.

Ambulances should be fitted with a heavy duty steel snowplough on the front n sides so they can shunt these ignorant  cars out of the way

I dont condone the action of course but there is abuse of the siren and light all the time.... I stayed in a house in Pattaya near one of the more premium hospitals... every morning except sat + sun an ambulance blaring siren would pass exactly 7:15am every day... co-incidence right???  If they clamped down on improper use then maybe Thais would believe it to be an emergency....  the old "not my family" mentality may be in play... either way.. regulate it and legislate with tough penaltys.

• Like 1

Watcharacters, everyone who is not Thai  knows that when ambulance, police, and

firetrucks are behind you with their sirens and flashing lights going,

you pull over and get out of their way.  Does it really have to be a law for people

to know this??

Geezer

17 hours ago, webfact said:

A similar situation occurred a couple of few weeks ago in which a red Suzuki Swift ... the driver and passenger in the car were shown to be medical health professionals.

That says it all. Except that the description 'professionals' is something of a stretch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

you pull over and get out of their way.  Does it really have to be a law for people

to know this??

Geezer

You are absolutely right the problem is that Thai people do not have any common sense in fact I would go so far as to say they don't even know what common sense is.

18 hours ago, Thian said:

Show this on national tv before those brainless tv-programs start...

Time for a little loss of face.  Show it on national news, with license number and the name of the registered owner. 

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

to know this??

Geezer

They would not know or change even if it was law because the police drive in the same way. I once got pulled on the Sukhumvit by the Highway Police for overtaking on the left, I explained to them if Thais would keep left then I would overtake on the right , they didn't understand what I was talking about...:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.

They just gave me a ticket and a smile pathetic.

• Like 1

The many times I've seen ambulances trying to get to memorial hospital down Pattaya klang without anyone making any effort to get out the way by just pulling over as we would do in the west. Is it a total lack of consideration or does it just not enter their head to alter their course of travel ? ? 

• Like 1

My adolescent kids have spent have their lives in Thailand. I showed them this. They reminded me of the time an Emergency caravan consisting of several ambulances and pick-ups running red lights and sirens on the Route 7. They were running ‘hot’. The caravan pushed through traffic and it seemed that everyone yielded and gave way. I jokingly at the time said they were late for Happy Hour. Several miles down the road the Caravan of vehicles were at a rest stop, picnicking and having a great time. The kids saw this and were gobsmacked at the abuse of authority. They are very familiar with the sense of unfairness and entitlement projected by some.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hooliganzone said:

They would not know or change even if it was law because the police drive in the same way. I once got pulled on the Sukhumvit by the Highway Police for overtaking on the left, I explained to them if Thais would keep left then I would overtake on the right , they didn't understand what I was talking about...:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.

They just gave me a ticket and a smile pathetic.

Changing the law could be needed and should happen, but the reality is Thais don't watch news programs, they don't read newspapers, they make zero effort to be informed about anything except the features of the next smartphone.

Traffic laws is a good example, each new group of European exchange students (mostly from Germany) eventually ask about traffic laws, especially the laws about pedestrian crossings.

This always sparks a class discussion, there's always 1 or 2 (or more) Thai students who say 'there is no law / no traffic rules, it's up to you'.

When we get to this part of the same discussion I always ask who has a car or bike license, invariably the students who claim 'no laws, it's up to you' put their hands up to indicate they do have a license. 

13 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

In America, people are trained like dogs...30 cars will pull over and stop to let an emergency vehicle by...it is so automatic a knee jerk reaction...it involves zero questioning of what should I do?

Funny.   During all the time I was in America,   I never felt that I was a part of any canine  exercise.

8 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

to know this??

Geezer

Well, Geezer, my moral compass tells me it would not be OK to take your wallet or steal your car.      Clearly there are many people throughout the world who have no hesitation to do such things.

There are laws that provide punishment for those activities.    

Sadly even with such laws many STILL choose to take from others.

What were you saying, again?

On 4/19/2018 at 11:13 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Maybe its time for all ambulances to be fitted with missile launchers....Nothing else seems to get the message across.

A good sized bull bar with the green light to give them a light tap might wake them out of their dream they are in, I did say MIGHT