Another needless death from selfishness! But still no arrest as car blocks ambulance path

webfact

Yesterday coming along the #9 ring road in very heavy traffic an ambulance  was trying to get through. It came alongside me trying to squeeze down the middle of two lanes. I thought it was a commuter van so I honked at him. The ambulance didn't have a siren on, just the lights on top which are very hard to see. If it were truly an emergency the siren should have been going. Maybe he was just trying to get home fast.  

Using the word culture is for people without a real argument who want to make racist generalisations and think they can hide their racist views behind the word "culture"....a word they don't even know how to use properly.

If you have a problem driving on Thai roads and find uourselfcontinually muttering, criticising even shouting at other road users....being "tailgated" breaking swerving to avoid "accidents"....I've got news for you.....it's YOU! You shouldn't driving in Thailand you aren't up to standard, and trying to lay the blame on others is just a feeble excuse.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Sad 1

I cannot desaggree on the comments regarding people driving in this country. I'm enough on the local roads to see what happens day in and out. Nevertheless as a former EMS MD I don't agree with linking directly the death of the patient to the behavioral problem.With people with heart conditions,  and the road accidents victims, the most important factor is to have competent rescue professionals informed quickly, driven to the scene as safely and quickly as possible with the necesary technical equipement to prepare correctly the transfer to the right hospital capable to treat the case according to the right first diagnosis. Once the patient is stabilized, the speed he/she gets to hospital is important but hardly capital. On the contrary, sometimes, reducing speeed allows the personal on board to be able to act and care about the patient. Try to imagine how easy it is to perform any medical act in the back of a speeding vehicule, changing lane abruptly, breaking like an idiot while shouting after other drivers..try do do a simple injection under these conditions...good luck...

Having seen a lot of accident scenes here and the way the injured people a taken care of, I'm not surprised by the number of people dying after the accident, driven fastly to hospital in critical conditions which can negatively evoluate during the transfer. I don't even speak about those transported into EMS trucks. This kills much more than some idiots not giving way to ambulances or fire engines.

What kills here is the complete incompetence and poorly equiped rescue system workers, I don't blame them while they have to deal with tough situations I perfectly know. Then REAL issue is a political problem and the lack of willingness of the country's heads to start,fund and equip medical professionals to help people in distress. Honnestly it's not only in Thailand....unfortunately

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, trainman34014 said:

You're not comparing apples with apples.  The Emergency Services in Britain are operated by the Government and regulated but in Thailand they are either Private Company run Services or Volunteer Services with Charity Funding and all are unregulated with regard to what Vehicles they use and the standards that apply to those Vehicles.

You are getting confused, all government hospital have a fleet (a few!) government ambulances fitted out. They are issued by the government. Volunteer services run by Charities, are not real volunteer services, they have full time members who are paid. Their main tasks are to recover the dead, and clean up as per Buddhist customs. These are becoming standard ambulances The other small group are commission chasers, who are slowly being pushed out as they have no training which is now becoming a requirement. These are the ones that shouldn't have lights or sirens. But, these are the ones that have caused the attitude of drivers, education on TV, and newspapers should be a regular thing and like dressing up as an old Thai would then become a move over for the ambulance...Takes about 3 months of education for it to stick in minds if the soap is anything to go by!

On 20/04/2018 at 6:31 PM, Sadanava said:

So, you make a difference between rich and poor? as this is what foundation medical teams attend too, those whom cannot afford a private treatment. This month it is just enforced that all people can be treated for free for the first 72 hours, if it is classified as a emergency, giving ambulances more space to pick up victims and patients. however most are still selective at the call center and request insurance cards. poor people are thus left by these foundation medics and their vehicles.

Hang on a sec I never said Anything about Rich or Poor ,,,,I only said that the government should uphold a standard that All Ambulance Vehicle should be the same,,,,Don't Talk Bull shit ,,,

7 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Using the word culture is for people without a real argument who want to make racist generalisations and think they can hide their racist views behind the word "culture"....a word they don't even know how to use properly.

while you are judging others, there is something in yourself that is lacking

• Like 1

all posters should understrand this, if any of you have an ambulance behind you

with their lghts on and siren on, get the H*ll out of the wauy. There is nothing any of

us can do with the Thai drivers who are too stupid or ignorant to get out of the way.

If any of you are worried that these vehicles are going somewhere important or

just to some picnic, well you are thinking too much all ready. Remember that

they are, ambulances, or police cars and pickups etc. Get out of their way!

Geezer

@Airbagwill - I no longer see your response. Maybe I've missed it. Anyway, I will keep my post as short as possible or nobody will read it. 

I am not sure how anyone can try to explain away these road danger issues as somehow not being squarely the fault of the nationals in this country. 

The statistics don't lie (mostly). Thailand is THE MOST DEADLY country to drive IN THE WORLD. If you accept this starting point, you can then either start identifying all the reasons they are so bad OR you can attempt to convince people that it is somehow not their fault. 

Thais deserve all the slagging off they get in this area. As with so many problems in this lovely country, they poses a unique blend of arrogance and incompetence and will not listen to anyone willing to help. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

all posters should understrand this, if any of you have an ambulance behind you

with their lghts on and siren on, get the H*ll out of the wauy. There is nothing any of

us can do with the Thai drivers who are too stupid or ignorant to get out of the way.

If any of you are worried that these vehicles are going somewhere important or

just to some picnic, well you are thinking too much all ready. Remember that

they are, ambulances, or police cars and pickups etc. Get out of their way!

Geezer

The point is, in Thailand, you may try but be unable to get out of the way because the horrific drivers left you no room to maneuver by tailgating in the rear and overtaking you in the front. Or, maybe there is no room on the side because the lane intended for emergency traffic is being used already by selfish drivers who decided to make it a regular driving lane. Just some examples. 

18 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

If you have a problem driving on Thai roads and find uourselfcontinually muttering, criticising even shouting at other road users....being "tailgated" breaking swerving to avoid "accidents"....I've got news for you.....it's YOU! You shouldn't driving in Thailand you aren't up to standard, and trying to lay the blame on others is just a feeble excuse.

@Airbagwill - Do you really believe what you have written above? Is that logical to you? I would suggest that you look a list of common logic fallacies (https://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/eng207-td/Logic and Analysis/most_common_logical_fallacies.htm) such as the "Band Wagon" fallacy.

Just because nearly everyone is breaking the law in their abhorrent driving doesn't mean that other drivers coming onto the scene should mimic the dangerous habits. 

I'm surprised you as a well-educated person would hold the view you seem to above. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you've written. 

• Like 2