5 Songkran celebrants killed, 4 injured as pickup flips in Sa Kaew

webfact

2 hours ago, bontang said:

5 people dead too late to fix anything bitching will no bring the dead  People, back to life may they RIP.

The Donkey Driver was speeding & as of today he has 5 dead people on his conscience,

Should be charged with manslaughter,

Should, but probably won't considering this is Crazy Town in UpsideDownVille 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wjhall said:

The road is being widened to a dual carriageway all the way from Khao Chakan to Wang Nam Yen and lanes and U turns are all marked with large plastic blocks. I think that was what he swerved to avoid, nothing to do with police road block from earlier.

Thank you for providing that information. Those that were assigning blame to police without actually having been there, may perhaps focus on their own lack of facts.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hobobo said:

...The pickup was apparently speeding when it lost control...

Isn't it about time that the government stops manufacturing or importing vehicles that lose control!

Are you Thai? :thumbsup: :smile:

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Tragic. Bunch of essentially kids wiped out on their way home from having a fun day out.

RIP to the five and a speedy recovery to the others.

I hope someone is made to explain why a traffic cone was left in the road, sometime after the police checkpoint had closed. Without it there, this almost certainly would not have happened.

The OP does not say whether the police check point coincided with the 'U' turn or not. As Bob12345 indicates this type of plastic barrier for 'U' turns is common where he lives and it is also common just outside the town on the dual carriageway where I live. This would rather suggest that the police check point may have been a little before or after the 'U' turn.

Image result for plastic barrier for 'U' turns

• Like 1

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

What you mean Bob12345 is that they should not have been driving at that speed & been prepared to slow down,,,,,,,, very tragic but a blood test will more than likely find a substantial amount of alcohol in the drivers bloodstream

Right, and the driver being tired from celebrating Songkhran for days and nights without sufficient sleep.

When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn ?

5 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Right, and the driver being tired from celebrating Songkhran for days and nights without sufficient sleep.

"Where have all the young girls gone,............" 

• Like 1

5 here 10 there  It is like a war on the road is it not? Kids who had a full life in front of them now all dead. When will you wake up Thailand and stop the killing? Just saddens me so much. When will the cops have the balls and start being cops and do there job? When will the so called government stop putting on that Thai smile and realise they have a problem out there and that Thais dont know how to drive and try and fix it?

My girlfrends 16 year old neice and her 13 year old son go to high school in Wang Nam yen and I can guess at least Belli knows the victims. I was  driving through that way about 2 months ago and no way could an experience rally driver even think of going at 170kms an hour. RIP

Not sad,not one bit. Anyone thinking that eventually victims thinking pattern would be changed one iota ,needs a hard re-think themselves,  Selfish idiots,thats about it,rather you than me,least saving another death destruction episode...goodbye,dont come back

When the government get their act together and put proper road rules and a rigorous driving test together,until then nothing will change,only the death toll and that certainly will go up.At present a child could get past the stupid driving socalled test,its just a joke and really an insult to peoples intelligence.Look at the BOSS RED BULL.

21 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

So the driver survived... 

sounds like it , he might have a hangover though , and i think it was the drivers fault , driving too fast , drinking , would you ever go and stand or sit in the open back of the truck with a stupid driver like that at the wheel no way ! accident waiting to happen 

16 hours ago, maximillian said:

Not at anytime in the near future, unfortunately. :sad:

So long as the rich/powerful/elitists are lining their pockets (their first priority) then the 'plebs' will continue to be sacrificed because the other group has shown no signs of really caring about them! That is the way of a feudal society, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Quite apart from the sad deaths it constantly surprises me that Thailand has so many DRIVERLESS cars on the roads as the reporting always states that the VEHICLE lost control.

RIP the dead and condolences to the families who have lost loved ones

On 4/20/2018 at 9:22 AM, webfact said:

Setthanat said three passengers died at the scene and another two died at the Wang Nam Yen district hospital.

Passengers? Or cargo-hold occupants? The mode of carriage that LoS's inimitable PM boldly planned to ban last year ...

11 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Not at anytime in the near future, unfortunately. :sad:

So long as the rich/powerful/elitists are lining their pockets (their first priority) then the 'plebs' will continue to be sacrificed because the other group has shown no signs of really caring about them! That is the way of a feudal society, unfortunately.

Actually, Prayuth threatened to ban the practice before last year's Songkran, then backed down in the face of predictable protests, promising to enforce it after the New Year ...

On 4/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, stanleycoin said:

One more imbecile on the roads here. and now a bunch of dead people.

This is most unusual. :coffee1:

If the driver was at fault,I am glad that there is one less killer on the road. ( If he was killed)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Actually, Prayuth threatened to ban the practice before last year's Songkran, then backed down in the face of predictable protests, promising to enforce it after the New Year ...

Yup - just the usual 'lip service' that the authorities are well versed in doing. :sad: